Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH III

Started by imitationleather, April 12, 2020, 11:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Fambo Number Mive

35, 928 reported cases today, which the BBC seem to be ignoring.

Chedney Honks

That's like double the same time last week. NYE gonna be more like the NY FOCKIN C

Alberon

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 20, 2020, 05:47:02 PM

It's the headline now on their website.

Christmas being cancelled is annoying, but the right move. I'm more worried personally about January. The uni will be expected to open and I'll be in full time.

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 20, 2020, 05:47:02 PM

On a Sunday, when the reported cases are typically below average.

Alberon

According to the Guardian, it's double what it was last sunday.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on December 20, 2020, 09:04:14 PM
According to the Guardian, it's double what it was last sunday.

Scary to think what the deaths will look like.

Alberon

I was looking on the Worldmeters website again tonight.

You know how the US is a total and complete fuckdown disaster with regards to Covid infections and deaths? Well, guess what, the UK STILL has a higher deaths per million rate than the States. STILL! Even with the figures being rejigged to lower the overall number a few months back.

Still!

shiftwork2

A quite serious feeling that it's tilting again, like March 2020.  We've been told to plan for the current peak to be in the second week of jan.  Numbers are already seriously not good (I work in England's Tier 4) so there's just no effin way there isn't going to be another complete long-term lockdown in the new year.   I am sorry.

chveik

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 22, 2020, 12:01:56 AM
A quite serious feeling that it's tilting again, like March 2020.  We've been told to plan for the current peak to be in the second week of jan.  Numbers are already seriously not good (I work in England's Tier 4) so there's just no effin way there isn't going to be another complete long-term lockdown in the new year.   I am sorry.

Aye, I'm gannin doon Morrisons tomorrow at 6am to clear it out of bogroll and beans

Not for meself like, so there's space on the shelves for AK-47s.

chveik

hope the forthcoming hedonist frenzy will make all this worthwhile

Menu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 20, 2020, 09:09:46 PM
Scary to think what the deaths will look like.

.....said a Downing Street source.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Menu on December 22, 2020, 03:03:07 AM
.....said a Downing Street source.

ha, privileged and honoured to be a Downing Street source now.

olliebean

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 22, 2020, 12:01:56 AM

As I posted in another thread, if the new strain is 70% more transmissible that means it's going to take more than the Spring lockdown to bring it under control. Also means a higher percentage of people have to be vaccinated before herd immunity is achieved. Looking at the polls saying how many people are planning to get the vaccine, I'm not sure it's going to be enough.

Fambo Number Mive

They will need a stricter lockdown than March, enforcing it better might help. Have checks on buses and trains to see whether non-mask wearers are exempt. £50 fine for anyone who is not exempt and who wears their mask with their nose exposed.

Incentives to get the vaccine - once it is rolled out to the public, people should have to show proof of either being vaccinated or that they are unable to have the vaccine for health reasons before travelling abroad, or going on holiday in the UK.

Otherwise if not enough people get the vaccine for herd immunity what do we do?

Uncle TechTip

Who enforces these checks? Councils appointed covid marshals during LD One and most people just laughed at them.

frajer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 22, 2020, 12:32:16 PM
They will need a stricter lockdown than March, enforcing it better might help. Have checks on buses and trains to see whether non-mask wearers are exempt. £50 fine for anyone who is not exempt and who wears their mask with their nose exposed.

Incentives to get the vaccine - once it is rolled out to the public, people should have to show proof of either being vaccinated or that they are unable to have the vaccine for health reasons before travelling abroad, or going on holiday in the UK.

Otherwise if not enough people get the vaccine for herd immunity what do we do?

I hate having to think that the threat of punishment is needed for people to mask up and follow simple restrictions that help themselves and others, but based on this year I absolutely think that way. The idea that people can be anti-mask (or, even worse in my opinion, just can't be bothered to wear one) in a pandemic is absurd.

Cuellar

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 22, 2020, 12:53:18 PM
Who enforces these checks? Councils appointed covid marshals during LD One and most people just laughed at them.

Empower them to beat absolute fuck out of anyone not complying. You'd then attract the sort of paramilitary psychos most people would be terrified of, so it's win win.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 22, 2020, 12:53:18 PM

Police officers, PCSOs, revenue officers could do it on the buses. Maybe even train up the Army to do it.

I think part of the problem with the COVID officers was their lack of powers, and part of it was it was just someone in a hi-vis tabard. Only ever saw one of these people.

I think legally requiring people to have the vaccination could play into the hands of the anti-vax lobby. I don't know about requiring someone to be vaccinated or have a good reason why they can't have it for UK medical treatment - is that a step too far?

I just hope I'll be safely able to go to a pub or restaurant or get a train before 2022, but I'm losing hope with this new strain.

Yougov has provided another piece of evidence as to why at least half of the UK public are idiots: https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1341056675034374148

Bence Fekete

Flu-darts. Give them something to think about.

Chedney Honks

I would definitely be a Covid Marshall, as long as the gov declared 'marshall law' on any offenders! Where's my Gatling Gun? 😆😆😆

olliebean

Come to think of it, most people weren't wearing masks during the first lockdown. If everyone were to wear them now, would that cancel out the 70% greater transmissibility?

Fambo Number Mive

I think people actually adhering to social distancing would help, most people seemed to stop doing it completely after a few months. Of course the government aren't running any mask reminders/social distancing campaigns so that they can blame the people for the government's mistakes.

A decent government would be going back to Stay At Home, Control the Virus, Save Lives and getting rid of this "1m plus with masks" bullshit. 2m distance inside or outside.

jobotic

we may be a shithole full of wankers but according to the Guardian opinions polls show that 55% of French people would refuse a vaccine. FFS.

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 22, 2020, 03:04:47 PMA decent government would be going back to Stay At Home, Control the Virus, Save Lives and getting rid of this "1m plus with masks" bullshit. 2m distance inside or outside.

Regarding the masks, I wasn't thinking of them as an isolated measure, but as something that could be added to the first lockdown rules in order to make them more effective against the 70% more transmissible strain. So not 1m with masks or 2m without (or whatever those damnfool "1m plus" rules were), but 2m and masks in all public circumstances.

frajer

Yeah the very fact they were mitigating when and where you should/shouldn't wear masks revealed what a cuntish bunch of fools we have in charge. As if people wouldn't already be tempted not to wear them.

But then who knows what this incompetent lot's plan actually was, the confusion and lack of rule-following might mean it's all going fabulously in their eyes. If vast swathes of the working class died off I doubt they'd need too many tissues (unless *wanking gag here*).

olliebean

Don't forget during the first lockdown they were explicitly saying that masks weren't necessary. Which is still one of the facts commonly used by anti-maskers to justify their belief that anything anyone says now about masks being effective is a lie.

Alberon

Death toll today is 691. Even more worrying is the number of infections that is, again, double what was recorded a week ago at 36,804.