Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Late Night with the Devil (2024)

Started by Blumf, March 14, 2024, 09:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Not my area of expertise, but this looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeKYfneOH3o

Trailer gives off vibes you'd usually get in British productions, some Inside No. 9 episodes being an obvious example.

Also David Dastmalchian getting a leading role, which is nice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14966898/

Oosp

Yeah, gonna be all over this one. Watched the trailer yesterday and got the brain horn. Cannot wait

It's previewing at Picturehouse cinemas on Tuesday by the looks of it.

iamcoop

There's a bit of chat about this in the horror film thread. I'm seeing it on Tuesday, hoping for great things.

Glebe

thugler

Hated barbarian so not got big expectations but i like the idea and look of it so will give it a go. Don't really like the trailer as soon as it becomes effectsy. Something subtler and ambiguous might have been more interesting, but I'll reserve judgement

dontpaintyourteeth

Not getting the hype with this one at all, that trailer looks silly. However will reserve judgement etc and so on.

George White

Quote from: Blumf on March 14, 2024, 09:54:34 PMNot my area of expertise, but this looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeKYfneOH3o

Trailer gives off vibes you'd usually get in British productions, some Inside No. 9 episodes being an obvious example.

Also David Dastmalchian getting a leading role, which is nice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14966898/
A few US productions have done similar - NBC's Special Bulletin (1984), and the CBS two-fer of Without Warning (1994) and Special Report - Journey to Mars (1996)

Panurge

American rip of History of the Occult (2020) , but looks good nonetheless.

SteveDave

Quote from: Panurge on March 17, 2024, 10:49:42 PMAmerican rip of History of the Occult (2020) , but looks good nonetheless.

I have never heard of this film but having watched the first 30 seconds of the trailer, I'm going to find it tonight.

iamcoop

Just got an email from the cinema saying they've moved the screening I'm at tomorrow from the smallest screen to the biggest one.

So even if the hype is misjudged I guess it's a healthy sign for us #horrorbuffs that people want to see this sort of thing.

Mister Six

I was worried that it coming out on Shudder so soon would put audiences off, but I guess horror buffs will be inclined to watch it in cinemas anyway, and everyone else would probably rather watch it in a cinema than get a subscription.

Funnily enough, given the premise, I'm inclined to wait for it to come to streaming. Seems like a more appropriate venue.

Wish I had a CRT TV to watch it on.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Mister Six on March 18, 2024, 06:24:03 PMI was worried that it coming out on Shudder so soon would put audiences off, but I guess horror buffs will be inclined to watch it in cinemas anyway, and everyone else would probably rather watch it in a cinema than get a subscription.

Any idea when it's streaming in the UK?

SteveDave

Quote from: SteveDave on March 18, 2024, 08:46:48 AMI have never heard of this film but having watched the first 30 seconds of the trailer, I'm going to find it tonight.
Quote from: Panurge on March 17, 2024, 10:49:42 PMAmerican rip of History of the Occult (2020) , but looks good nonetheless.

G-dammit, I can only find it on YouTube without English subtitles.

Brundle-Fly

The lead looks like he's about to burst into the high kicking dance routine of the opening title sequence of The Peter Serafinowicz Show.

neveragain

Shaky

The comments on that X clip thread, though...fucking hell.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Shaky on March 19, 2024, 11:40:15 AMThe comments on that X clip thread, though...fucking hell.

Yeah, that dyl seems like a bit of a dick.

Tarquin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 18, 2024, 06:31:05 PMAny idea when it's streaming in the UK?

20th April I think.

I found it very enjoyable. Be prepared for so many film company idents at the start I swear some were made up (audience starting laughing by the 5th one).

Not sure if it may actually work better on TV as it's, mostly, in 4:3

iamcoop

Loved this, I think.

A couple of times I thought "this is shit" and then about two minutes later something would happen and I'd think "this is actually incredible".

I fucking ADORED the ending and that's where a lot of people seem to think it shits the bed so maybe my judgement's rubbish.

There will be loads of people that think this is the worst film they've ever seen though. It's one of those ones.

Tarquin

Quote from: iamcoop on March 19, 2024, 09:48:33 PMI fucking ADORED the ending and that's where a lot of people seem to think it shits the bed so maybe my judgement's rubbish.

Spoiler alert
When it kicks off with the head-split and everyone carks it I thought was a bit rushed. Probably as it felt too soon after the worm fake-out.

And I wish the bit after was a bit more surreal. But the very end with him standing above the girl was superb.

Hugely nit-picky that but I really enjoyed it.

[close]

Tarquin

"And now to sing us out with her new single it's Carol..."

iamcoop

I also liked the idents -
Spoiler alert
at the time I thought they must have been genuine, but I hope they were part of it as some of them were Clipart-tier
[close]

Tarquin

Quote from: iamcoop on March 19, 2024, 10:12:33 PMI also liked the idents -
Spoiler alert
at the time I thought they must have been genuine, but I hope they were part of it as some of them were Clipart-tier
[close]

Spoiler alert
I thought that as you had the constant "Hall-OWL-Ween" to the commercials as, at the end he kneels down to a huge owl.

Other commercial break lead-in was a skeleton. The skeleton cosplay next to Pat/Pam/Pete as he was spoiling Christo's mesmerism sitting still seemed like a red-herring but he was next to the owl as well!

I want to re-watch this movie. Cheers!
[close]

iamcoop

Quote from: Tarquin on March 19, 2024, 10:31:56 PM
Spoiler alert
I thought that as you had the constant "Hall-OWL-Ween" to the commercials as, at the end he kneels down to a huge owl.

Other commercial break lead-in was a skeleton. The skeleton cosplay next to Pat/Pam/Pete as he was spoiling Christo's mesmerism sitting still seemed like a red-herring but he was next to the owl as well!

I want to re-watch this movie. Cheers!
[close]

Spoiler alert
I was convinced the skeleton was going to play a larger part - I found that character genuinely unnerving. The Bohemian Grove through line and ending was great for me.
[close]

Needs another watch for sure!

Quote from: Tarquin on March 19, 2024, 09:38:32 PMBe prepared for so many film company idents at the start I swear some were made up

Tarquin

After timing 3mins of them before some movie last year I made a short film that consisted entierly of Idents

Memorex MP3

I've heard criticism about the use of AI in this film's production, anyone able to explain exactly what that's all about?

McChesney Duntz

I was coming here to ask the same thing.

(And that's a cracking short, Tarquin.)