Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

American sweets we actually like

Started by George White, March 28, 2024, 11:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Til Cadbury USA not only made Mounds before selling to Hershey in 1995 but sponsored the Charlie Brown specials on CBS https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uh6gzMszDic

Poobum

Toxic Waste, actually hurt first time I tried one. Also, don't mind a Butterfinger.

imitationleather

I bet you don't you dirty old bollocks!

Noodle Lizard

It's all terrible. Even the stuff you can get all over the world like Skittles and M&Ms are better elsewhere. You can't get a Kit-Kat Chunky here, and nobody knows why. Dunno why they're so bad at this.

Luckily there are a few shops near me which bring in some British stuff, so I can go and get a Crunchie or some Minstrels. The downside is they're so expensive that I have to choose between that and feeding my daughter that day.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 28, 2024, 05:10:22 PMIt's all terrible. Even the stuff you can get all over the world like Skittles and M&Ms are better elsewhere. You can't get a Kit-Kat Chunky here, and nobody knows why. Dunno why they're so bad at this.

Luckily there are a few shops near me which bring in some British stuff, so I can go and get a Crunchie or some Minstrels. The downside is they're so expensive that I have to choose between that and feeding my daughter that day.

Hah, yeah I went to a shop -in fucking Vegas of all places, granted- that sold crunchies for £4ish each. That was pre-pandemic as well so christ knows how expensive it is now.

Getting hold of UK foods is a lot easier than it used to be, they even sell PG Tips at Rite Aid these days. But yeah it will cost you. I get a few things from Amazon: tubes of Refreshers, Cadbury's Flake 99s, Curly Wurlys.. usually around $1.50 a throw if you buy multipacks.

I bought some Haribo Pontefract Cakes the other day and they were fucking disgusting.

imitationleather

They stock all that stuff so YouTubers can do "American tries British candy for the first time!!" videos.

dontpaintyourteeth

Hi I'm an American and I'm listening to Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time

American DESTROYED by Walnut Whip, crying face in the thumbnail

madhair60

i like their chewing gum, the trad bubble gum stuff like bazooka joe. it's not even good but i just like it

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 28, 2024, 02:48:06 PMGoing America soon and want to get some M&M flavours we don't get over here

prepare to be dissapointed. the pretzel ones are not bad though

Captain Z

American tries Fisherman's Friend for the first time 💔

imitationleather

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2024, 05:31:41 PMit's not even good but i just like it

I feel the same about your posts x

madhair60

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2024, 05:31:41 PMi like their chewing gum, the trad bubble gum stuff like bazooka joe. it's not even good but i just like it

this is what you like is it?

imitationleather

My mum went to New York when I was kid (didn't take me, charming!) and she brought a load of American sweets home for me. Obviously in the '90s this sounded like the most exotic and fantastic thing that could ever happen to me. The crushing disappointment when I actually got hold of Hershey's shite and tasted the waxy crap, I think, has led to everything bad that has happened to me since.

madhair60

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on March 28, 2024, 05:24:31 PMGetting hold of UK foods is a lot easier than it used to be, they even sell PG Tips at Rite Aid these days. But yeah it will cost you. I get a few things from Amazon: tubes of Refreshers, Cadbury's Flake 99s, Curly Wurlys.. usually around $1.50 a throw if you buy multipacks.

I bought some Haribo Pontefract Cakes the other day and they were fucking disgusting.

The problem I've had ordering from Amazon (or those online expat shops) is that, aside from it still being too expensive for sense, they often send you stuff that's close to expiry. Nobody wants a stale McCoy, so I end up having to eat everything more or less immediately which I most certainly would NOT do otherwise.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 28, 2024, 06:34:58 PMThe problem I've had ordering from Amazon (or those online expat shops) is that, aside from it still being too expensive for sense, they often send you stuff that's close to expiry. Nobody wants a stale McCoy, so I end up having to eat everything more or less immediately which I most certainly would NOT do otherwise.

THAT has definitely happened to me before. Got sent a double 240-pack of PG Tips last year that had Platinum Jubilee branding on it, cheeky bastards. No stale sweets so far though, touch wood.

Peanut butter M&Ms are like crack to me. I also like Milk Duds, weirdly.

falafel

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 28, 2024, 11:45:10 AMAn incredible name. Mmmmm, can't wait to tuck into a delicious mound.

Me, I like these:

Owyhec?

Edit: oh, in fact I was almost right and it's Owyhee; I thought I'd had some sort of infarction

George White

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 28, 2024, 11:45:10 AMAn incredible name. Mmmmm, can't wait to tuck into a delicious mound.

Me, I like these:

There's something almost hauntological about certain types of American candy (the sort not made by the big 3 - i.e. Nestle (now in the US taken over by Ferrero), Mars and Hershey).
Like Boyer's Mallo Cup.

After looking up info on the Spud, I've started to read the book Candyfreak by Steve Almond, which is all about the US candy industry which boils down to
1. Nestle, Hershey's, Mars
2. All the other little freaks.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: George White on March 29, 2024, 09:19:10 AM2. All the other little freaks.

I feel like the little freaks is where the treasure's buried.

Under the bland, waxy mountain of mainstream american er - candy.

Much of which seems to be colonising our sweetie aisles. Still can't believe they sold cadbury.

George White

Yes, to me, the little freaks are the best.
Reminds me of the days when there were lots of weird little Irish companies like Urney's and Caffrey's, most of whom still exist in name only.

Glebe

There was that Bazooka Joe bubble gum with the tiny comic strips.

hamfist

I'm in the US right now and saw deep fried Oreos for sale yesterday near muscle beach in Venice. Guess the chads guzzle them after their pumping sessions.

I love the peanut butter M&Ms, salty goodness and ridiculously easy to overeat.

ros vulgaris

Milky Ways are American, which was my Nanna's favourite treat to give me.

Haven't had one since then though.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: ros vulgaris on March 29, 2024, 02:58:02 PMMilky Ways are American, which was my Nanna's favourite treat to give me.

Haven't had one since then though.

They're not Milky Ways though.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 28, 2024, 06:07:31 PMthis is what you like is it?

Good representation for the disabled though.