Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halifax introduces name badges with pronouns

Started by Stigdu, July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigdu

Quote from: madhair60 on July 05, 2022, 01:34:50 PMokay! duuuuhhh, i like ricky gervais. *plays a board game*

Did make me chuckle. I tend to go "derrrrr" rather than "duuuuhhh", though.

madhair60

i shall bear that in mind in my future ripostes

First they came for Howard from the Halifax ads, but I did not speak out for I was not a Howard from the Halifax ads.

jobotic

Then they came for Crackle, but I did not speak out for I was not Snap or Pop

shiftwork2

That Howard meff's speculative grift was...disgraceful.

No conservatory for you Howard.  Try again in 20 years.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 05, 2022, 11:36:37 AMWait has anyone asked Howar....oh

Howard for the Halifax adverts speaks his brains

GB News had an interview with him, which shows the level of debate he's inspiring.

A little sad that he still wears the glasses and busts out a song after all these years.

BUT THE INTERVIEWER! Wow! High standards of pig thick, mouth breathing idiots, mate.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Pimhole on July 05, 2022, 02:37:00 PMPredictably...

Predicted by me of course. Like I said, these scumbags would have done market research before this decision. It's great that we're in a position where trans inclusiveness actually earns money for businesses but Halifax can fuck off with their "If you don't like it close your account" faux bravery. If they genuinely thought too many people would close their accounts cos of this they wouldn't have done it

phes

you are now entering Real Life, population: doesn't give a fuck

Buelligan

Quote from: somersetchris on July 03, 2022, 01:12:36 PMI can. I needed to re-activate a savings account and needed to appear in person in order to avoid any kind of identity fraud. Was not that long ago. I know some people who still pay me by cheque so I have to pay t hem in. Do I win?

Not keeping up with this thread but just thought I'd mention, I pay by cheque. 

I do it to safeguard the employment of the cheque cashing folk and to piss off all the fucking companies that want you to give them the keys to your account so they can do what the fuck they like. 

Orange, primarily.  Theiving cunts.

JamesTC

Don't worry, all those account openings are just people opening their accounts in order to close their accounts.

Buelligan

It's like the Labour Party all over again.

Egyptian Feast

An old friend worked in a camera shop in Ealing for a while in the mid 2000s. His boss was on the books of a lookalike agency as a Howard Brown impersonator. Imagine hiring an ersatz Howard for your party. I never found out if he did any singing as part of the deal, or indeed if he'd ever been hired. Total desolation.

Des Wigwam

I find the Gemma badge confusing because it's just telling me to carry on using the same old pronouns I would instinctively use. I can't blame a corporation for cashing in first with this but I wish they'd at least been a bit brave and changed Gemma's choices to They/Theirs/Them. Although the next corporation to cash in won't be as newsworthy maybe it will just normalise all this a bit more and piss on attempts to manufacture culture war bullshit. Am sure there's much more mileage in it, unfortunately.

JamesTC

Considering the level of hate in the media against trans people, it is deeply cynical to think that a business would openly support trans people simply for monetary reasons. Maybe they do think they will make money from it, but I doubt it. They easily could have lost money from the negative publicity.

I work for a bank and have just had to deal with a misgendering.

Des Wigwam

You might be right but this is a corporate decision - it's not one branch deciding to go for it - so a lot of thought would be invested in it (you would think). I also think it's a much safer bet for a bank to do it given when people have (literally) invested in their dealings with them. It's not like whatsit*, or that Twin Towers mattress sale where people can just buy stuff from elsewhere the following day.

Would love to be wrong and good on them for doing something and saying outright "fuck off if you don't like it" - albeit from a fairly safe position.

*American Apparel? With their t-shirts with dodgy slogans on and dodgy staffing practices?

Dr Rock

That news piece suggests HSBC did it first

willbo

go woke go bro..oh, they can't go broke, they're a bank!

Johnny Yesno

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: willbo on July 05, 2022, 08:27:45 PMgo woke go bro..oh, they can't go broke, they're a bank!

What's the crime of robbing a bank? compared to the crime of wokening one?

Johnny Yesno

JamesTC

The bank I work for is really progressive. I used to work with a gay guy who would show me pictures of the weirdos who would proposition him on Grindr like Diaper Man and Gunge Boy.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 06, 2022, 12:02:03 AMYes, you definitely think we're not worthy of your wisdom. Thanks for confirming.

Thank you for confirming your receipt of my confirmation. Could you write back to confirm that you've received my thank you for your confirming your receipt of my confirmation.

Goldentony

can I go into a bank and just ask for money

Zero Gravitas

Rev+

Quote from: Buelligan on July 05, 2022, 04:01:30 PMNot keeping up with this thread but just thought I'd mention, I pay by cheque. 

I do it to safeguard the employment of the cheque cashing folk

Are you talking about the simple folk who grow cheque books along with their tomatoes in case the world goes to the tits, or are you talking about the robbing fuckers who exploit the poor by charging a fee to cash cheques, despite it having no overhead whatsoever for them?

Stigdu

My dad pays for a lot of stuff by cheque as well. I think it's probably a generational thing.

Buelligan

Quote from: Rev+ on July 06, 2022, 12:47:01 AMAre you talking about the simple folk who grow cheque books along with their tomatoes in case the world goes to the tits, or are you talking about the robbing fuckers who exploit the poor by charging a fee to cash cheques, despite it having no overhead whatsoever for them?

I'm talking about the people who work in places of business be they banks or utilities companies, opening envelopes and dealing with the contents.