Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:07:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halifax introduces name badges with pronouns

Started by Stigdu, July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Imagine being Howard the bank advert man. Imagine it. Imagine that being your entire life.

JamesTC

Howard the Halifax Man appearing on GB News to complain about trans people really is something to give pause for thought.

shiftwork2

I wonder when we'll next see Howard and hear his opinions on whether 'they've got it wrong on this one'?  I, for one, hope he gets his conservatory next time and he enjoys sitting in it with his balls out.

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on July 05, 2022, 04:48:18 PMConsidering the level of hate in the media against trans people, it is deeply cynical to think that a business would openly support trans people simply for monetary reasons. Maybe they do think they will make money from it, but I doubt it. They easily could have lost money from the negative publicity.

I work for a bank and have just had to deal with a misgendering.

Banks are run by fucking cunts who only care about money. They're not in it for the principled gestures. As mentioned, if they thought it would negatively affect their profits, they wouldn't do it. At best, they calculated that it wouldn't affect them either way, but would future-proof them for the generations that aren't populated by elderly bananas.

JamesTC

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2022, 05:09:31 AMBanks are run by fucking cunts who only care about money. They're not in it for the principled gestures. As mentioned, if they thought it would negatively affect their profits, they wouldn't do it. At best, they calculated that it wouldn't affect them either way, but would future-proof them for the generations that aren't populated by elderly bananas.

Bands are big and nebulous things. An idea like this is too small to have been taken by a higher up. It would have been authorised by one who would have calculated that it wouldn't affect them, but I'm fairly sure the idea to do this would have been taken by somebody with the best intentions.

touchingcloth

Maybe their name badge supplier just changed to a new default template and they they kept them and argued for a partial refund.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 06, 2022, 08:33:42 PMI wonder when we'll next see Howard and hear his opinions on whether 'they've got it wrong on this one'?  I, for one, hope he gets his conservatory next time and he enjoys sitting in it with his balls out.
Did they ask Howard's opinions on the 2008 banking crash? That would be enlightening I'm sure. "Maybe if they'd not wasted so much money on shit adverts they wouldn't be bankrupt! Lol!" Ten years later, HBOS buy rights to Transformers and it's like It's A Wonderful Life all over again.

Ferris

I briefly worked for a UK bank that I won't name here (it was RBS) around the time they went belly up.

They'd obviously looted the building for anything they could sell to reduce their own debt, so the corridors were empty except for loads of little plaques where artwork used to be. They must have had a full art gallery in there.

Used to be a running joke to draw something on a post-it and put it above the plaque and see how long it would last before an officious manager took it down.

What does Howard make of that then?

Ferris

Rev+

Quote from: Ferris on July 07, 2022, 07:50:46 PMI briefly worked for a UK bank that I won't name here (it was RBS) around the time they went belly up.

If you hadn't tipped your hand - well no, outright stated it, I'd have stuck my money on that being First Direct.  I've mainly worked in finance but never for a bank, and had friends who worked for FD encouraging me to apply for a job there because most of the day was spent playing giant Jenga and they'd got Playstations in the main office now, not just the break room, the main office space.  Woo.

Ferris

It was actually quite hard work (from what little I remember) and the money was absolutely shit so they did not retain my services long.

Such is life.

The Mollusk

The money was shit? In a bank, home to literally all the money? I find this very hard to believe.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 08, 2022, 08:34:28 AMThe money was shit? In a bank, home to literally all the money? I find this very hard to believe.

The money itself was shit. The coins were scuffed and the notes were all dog-eared.

The Mollusk

Again I find it hard to believe that a reputable institution such as a bank would treat its wares in such a fashion. Maybe if you were talking about a common skunk dealer I could make peace with that but a bank? Literally the place which looks after your money for you? Pull the other one, I wasn't born yesterday.

dissolute ocelot

HBOS (Now part of Lloyds) has a literal museum of money in Edinburgh. Maybe all the shiny ones go there. Maybe they'll put Howard there when he dies, embalmed in a lifelike pose.

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 08, 2022, 09:49:27 AMAgain I find it hard to believe that a reputable institution such as a bank would treat its wares in such a fashion. Maybe if you were talking about a common skunk dealer I could make peace with that but a bank? Literally the place which looks after your money for you? Pull the other one, I wasn't born yesterday.

Who do you think keeps the money looking nice mate, magic fairies?

I was in the money-cleaning department ("laundering", we used to call it) so every day I clocked in with my scrubbing brush and Dettol before sending the pristine tokens off to the cash points for the punters to withdraw. And did any one of them ever thank me?

(No.)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ferris on July 08, 2022, 03:00:34 PMWho do you think keeps the money looking nice mate, magic fairies?

I was in the money-cleaning department ("laundering", we used to call it) so every day I clocked in with my scrubbing brush and Dettol before sending the pristine tokens off to the cash points for the punters to withdraw. And did any one of them ever thank me?

(No.)

Hi George!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUuvzgRBELM

Johnny Yesno

Oh, my mistake. Wrong job.

https://youtu.be/R9biM_ZfIdo?t=837

I hope they got to you before the heart attack did too much damage.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: somersetchris on July 03, 2022, 01:12:36 PMI know some people who still pay me by cheque so I have to pay t hem in.

You can deposit cheques via mobile banking apps now.