Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Victor Lewis-Smith (The Big Thread)

Started by TJ, June 20, 2006, 11:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaprisky

Quote from: "alan strang"
If it's incomplete however you may just have a copy of one of my old compilation tapes.

I think these are the ones that I downloaded off of someone on Soulseek, a few years back, I recognise that "incomplete" Red Adair one.

Here's what I got: (labelled 00 - 10)

00: Aberdeen General Hospital, Red Adair (3:49, incomplete)
01: Boxing Day (4:23)
02: "Bill Withers", cross-dresser, Indelicatessen (6:53)
03: "Housemaid upside down", artistic licence (6:32)
04: Women's Trouble (longer edit), Comic Relief rant (7:12)
05: Taste of death, Ipswich (6:50)
06: Abortion of chips, Salman Rushie is in Hiding (6:20)
07: Stevie Wonder, BBC local radio, All Purpose Charity Song (6:52)
08: Putting down your whippet, Codswallop and Chips (6:09)
09: Continuity announcer, "Sin Tax", Thalidomide Arms, "Dear Sweet Larry" (5:23)
10: "All things considered", Bore Requiem, anniversaries, (6:06)

Loads of Ipswich bashing and Ned Sherrin intros.

Also a piece with the label "Her Majesty is Deeply Shocked".

As soon as I back up a load of files on my hard drive, I can upload some of these if anyone wants.

benthalo

Those seem familiar. I'll check those timings when I get home. Thanks for going to the trouble etc. Having spent so long relabelling endless amounts of Loose Ends packages, they do get to be a bit of blur I'm afraid!

If that's not the bundle I'm thinking of, then I'll mail copies of the files to someone in the position to upload.

So, any response to Steve 'More Music' Nage, as uploaded previously?

alan strang

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y7yt9z

A 'Whaley's Wailers' insert from the James Whale TV show in the early 90s. The topic under "discussion" that week was Cryogenics (one of the guests was a bloke who'd paid a silly amount of money to have his head frozen after his death) so they got Victor Lewis-Smith to contribute a song for the occasion, along with a home-made video. Usually that section was given over to videos sent in by viewers.

The 'Cryogenics Song' was later re-recorded for the second Radio 1 series.

The off-air was a bit shaky, but it's watchable enough.

Is someone sorting out the 'Up Your Arts' compilation or shall I upload my old encode?

benthalo

I did a DVDR of Buygones (both) and Up Your Arts, but can't for the life of me remember if I sent it on to TJ. Mind you, could he do anything with it in the wonderful world of uploads if I did? If someone wants to mail me about it I can post a copy on to them, on the condition that they torrent it here.

Very recently, I got hold of a Buygone as an actual Club X insert with rubbish intro and all. Of academic interest I guess, although they came with a really nice set of TV Offal transfers from original tx.

TTT

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers""Failed Products" sounds a bit ambiguous (haven't had the chance to check on it yet). Is it the one from the second series which primarily centres around ads aimed at the elderly market?

No i don't think it's this one. It's just products that wern't on the shelves very long. It starts with pocket coffee.

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"There's also one from the first series which largely centres around QVC and shopping channels in general, which doesn't seem to be on that list.

The Awards episode has a lot of QVC bits in it, maybe it's that one you're thinking of.

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"(Oh - didn't the second series also end with an "awards ceremony" special, or am I just imagining that one?)

That's the Awards episode.

Catalogue Trousers

Heh, in which case both series did end with an "Awards" episode - the first series one has a running gag with the attendance of Salman Rushdie at the ceremony, as well as the memorable "Tourette's Award" moment.

And thanks for the "useless products" one - yes, I remember that now. In which case, the "Crumblys" episode about fogey products is definitely a separate one...

Oh, and there was a separate "shopping channels" one in the first series, which I've got on VHS. Not sure if I could arrange a copy to here, but we'll see (if I can, I'll also see about the "Crumblys" one and the first series's "Awards" episode)...

TTT

The awards episode I have starts with "Welcome to the ads infinitum awards 2000" so that must be from the second series. The first category is "The Most Patently Disingenuous TV Trailer of the Year" and Tony Parsons is nominated.

Edit : Just saw your edit, so i'm missing the first Awards episode / Shopping Channels / Crumblys.

Edje

I've got an awards episode from series 1. I say "an" because it starts "Welcome to part 2", so unless that's a joke there's another one out there. Which would make 8 series 1 episodes including the shopping channel one, by my count. (Unless one of the ones I have is the pilot.)

I'll upload it shortly.

Catalogue Trousers

Ah, that's definitely the series 1 "Awards" episode. Quite right there.

"...at dinner time, he does like 'is beef, but he doesn't like 'is lamb..."

TTT

Thanks for that Edje.

All the episodes I have are now up, links on the previous page.

Edje

So, anyone know whether there is another S1 Awards ep we're missing?

Catalogue Trousers

No, I'm pretty sure that the "Part Two" caption is just a little joke on VLS's part, although if I'm wrong, then I'd love to see "Part One"!

TTT

Purple Tentacle

A while back on The Other Place I downloaded a really great DVD of TV Offal and Ads Infinitum, all DVD-Video, playable on the telly.

I take it that's still on there?

neveragain

God, I wish I had the courage to return to That Place.

But multiple thanks to TTT! Your fortitude shall surely not go unnoticed. In the next life, I mean. Haven't got anything for you right now but cheers and all that. :)

What are 'Kewzeen' and 'Superheroes' about by the way? I'm just procuring the PIFs one at the moment and am verily intrigued. Yea, verily.

Catalogue Trousers

"Kewzeen" is about food and drink in general ("cuisine", geddit?), and in particular rather neuseating examples of the British variety. "Superheroes" examines how various superheroic/mythological/*fill in the blank"-Men of various kinds were used to advertise products, including the marvellous Danish Bacon Viking...

neveragain

Ah, thankings. Just looking over the list, I'm surprised to see that he didn't do one about advertisements for television programmes (whether they were to be broadcast later on in the day or at some point in the future). Seems strange knowing how fond he is of television as a subject and it could have taken in In-Vision Continuity on top of all sorts of other interestingnesses.

alan strang

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers""Kewzeen" is about food and drink in general

And several smashing detours to those Orson Welles frozen peas voiceover out-takes ("No money is worth this!").

Some lovely little quotes throughout that series which stick in the memory:

"A genius but a lying bastard..."

"Woar, eh? Got any magazines?"

"Now, you know my problem with Shep..." / "Yeah, we know your problem with Shep..." (also "And this is Mike D'Abo, mate...")

"How inscrutable! What is she saying..."

benthalo

Kaprisky, I'd assume that set you've got there are either the 'Moose' recordings which did the rounds in 2000, or alanstrang's old collection of his own recordings. Or a mixture of both. Can anyone verify that? TJ? Actually, if you send me the exact file sizes that should clear it up. God, has it come to this?

The collection which turned up last year was coupled with new copies of the Radio 1 show so they must be doing the rounds. There are 11 in all, only one of which was dated on arrival (25/07/87). All are complete, 7-8mins packages.

Series 01, Show 080   25/07/1987
Series 01, Show 088   19/09/1987
Series 01, Show 107   23/01/1988
Series 01, Show 111   20/02/1988
Series 01, Show 119   16/04/1988
Series 01, Show 120   23/04/1988
Series 01, Show 122   07/05/1988
Series 01, Show 127   11/06/1988
Series 02, Show 32   25/03/1989

And two others which I couldn't date. The file sizes are:

7,117kb
15,953kb
16,060kb
18,286kb
16,986kb
17,677kb
16,223kb
17,801kb
18,929kb
17,232kb
15,803kb

My hunch was that they were upgrades of the 'Moose' copies as the edits seemed the same, although the track listing didn't quite match.

alan strang

Quote from: "benthalo"Kaprisky, I'd assume that set you've got there are either the 'Moose' recordings which did the rounds in 2000

CowsGoMoo wasn't it? Or am I thinking of something else? The ones uploaded to that by-then defunct website? I recall them all being pre-1989 though.

benthalo

QuoteCowsGoMoo wasn't it?

That's the bunny. Do you recognise all of the descriptions in Kaprisky's list, then? I've got a shockingly bad memory at the best of times.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "TTT"Victor Lewis Smith - Ads Infinitum

Shopping Channels - MISSING
I'm upping this one.

I have the broadcast dates if you need them.

19.12.96 xmas commercials

26.10.98 comics
02.11.98 QVC
09.11.98 public information films
16.11.98 cinema ads
23.11.98 local cinema ads
30.11.98 award ceremony

(Episode titles made up by me since there were none, "QVC" looks like it's the Shopping Channels episode.)  

I never even saw the 2nd series, I didn't even know there was one until I saw this thread.

benthalo

I've just checked, and it's definitely pilot, series of six, then a second series of eight for Ads Infinitum. 15 in all.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "benthalo"
And two others which I couldn't date. The file sizes are:

7,117kb
15,953kb
16,060kb
18,286kb
16,986kb
17,677kb
16,223kb
17,801kb
18,929kb
17,232kb
15,803kb

These were torrented unlabelled at UKNova last year, for reference.

(edit - as were the higher quality Radio 1 shows)

benthalo

The question we've been asking then, Paaaaul, is if someone can upload them here as I'm unable to. Can you oblige?

Paaaaul

Yep - I'll do them all in a zip archive.

benthalo

Ta. If you marry that lot up with the Loose Ends collection that TJ is sharing - is *anyone* linking to that? - then you should find slightly improved copies of a couple of packages, and at least five new ones.

Paaaaul

I am having real trouble getting onto Soulseek at the moment , so if anyone could upload those that TJ is sharing, I would be infinitely happy/grateful.