Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Filthy Rich & Catflap - What's Been Edited/Replaced?

Started by Catalogue Trousers, July 18, 2006, 04:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

So there I was recently, watching Mrs Trousers's Playback DVD of Filthy Rich & Catflap, when I noticed that the game show host on "Oo Er, Sounds A Bit Rude" has clearly been re-named from the original broadcast. In the original, he was named Ted Todgers - I forget what he's called on the DVD, but it's clearly not that. I guess that Playback were worried about any of the late Mr Rogers's family/friends taking offence.

And then I see, on the back of the DVD case, that the good old edits have been made for the good old "contractual reasons".

So: can some sage of the ilk of The Mumbler, ELW10 or TJ come up with a list of what's been edited out or replaced on the said DVD, and why?

Many thanks!

alan strang

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"So there I was recently, watching Mrs Trousers's Playback DVD of Filthy Rich & Catflap, when I noticed that the game show host on "Oo Er, Sounds A Bit Rude" has clearly been re-named from the original broadcast. In the original, he was named Ted Todgers - I forget what he's called on the DVD, but it's clearly not that.

Haven't seen the show for years, but the character was called 'Ivor Whopper' or 'Ivor Biggun' or something equally subtle wasn't he?

Garam

I watched that dodgy Mindless Violence DVD a few months ago and I'm sure there was a Filthy Rich and Catflap clip where Richie sliced into Eddie's hand with a sharp object. It's not on the DVD.

Or was that the Dangerous Brothers?

Morrisfan82

Yeh, that sounds like the Flying Zebra episode of Dangerous Brothers. Did he slice between Eddie's fingers with a machete while he's doing a V-sign?

Regarding the FR&C DVD, was there anything removed from the start of the scene where they visit the supermarket? It seems to fade sharply from the previous scene in a fairly suspicious way.

And as for Oo-Er... host, the guests actually refer to him as Ivor at various points don't they?

Catalogue Trousers

I can't help wondering if those were over-dubs of "Ted", though. Not being awkward for awkward's sake, but I'm sure that he was named Ted Todgers - it became something of a good-natured insult between my brother and myself for a while after the screening.

And thanks for pointing me to that thread, ELW10!

Jemble Fred

The UK Gold recordings I have certainly has him as Ivor Biggun.

Catalogue Trousers

I'm getting a bit obsessive now - I'm convinced that Ted Todgers was certainly the name of a game-show host of some Elton-scripted show of this period. It wasn't Happy Families or The Young Ones, which seems to leave FR&C as the obvious suspect...unless anyone can definitely put me right on this?

TTT

Do you mean 'Laugh I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee' as someone on that torrent site has just put it up and mentioned 'Ted Todgers' in the comments.

Chers penis

There is a subtitle edit in the show:

Filthy: Do you remember when those tory mp's were aught in that child brothel

in the subtitles the word Child is removed.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Why? Can the deaf not handle paedophile gags? Or foreigners for that matter? Not implying, of course, that the deaf can't  handle for... well, yes.

EDIT: arsed my own shit gag up.

Bert Thung

Ted Todgers was a really appalling satirical stand up comedian that Robbie Coltrane used to do.  He'd stand on stage pretending to read a newspaper and say things like "I see Dennis Healey is in the newspaper again. He wants us to join the exchange rate mechanism (pause) not surprised the bushy eyed bastard (mugs to audience)"

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"The UK Gold recordings I have certainly has him as Ivor Biggun.

It's Ivor Whopper.  Ivor Biggun was Doc Cox of That's Life!'s alter-ego.