Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Charlie Chuck still about?

Started by gepree, September 04, 2006, 08:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gepree

Charlie Chuck used to be a semi-regular at Glastonbury and Reading/Leeds festivals, but I haven't seen him listed for a few years now (I think it was 2002 or 2003 when I last time I saw him at Reading).

Does he still tour, and if so, does anyone know of any future dates?

The first time I saw him was on the telly in the late 1980s on the James Whale show late on ITV, but seeing him live is watching a genius.

The thing is, he's one of those comedians that make some people piss themselves laughing whereas everybody else just looks blank without even smiling at any of his act.

What's the general opinion about his comedy (in particular his live stuff)?

Thanks
Geoff

Godzilla Bankrolls

I'm sure he was on the radio version of 28 Acts in 28 Minutes recently, doing the "Do you want a cup of tea?" routine.

Gavin

I went to his daughter's wedding. He gave a very nervous father-of-the-bride speech. I have not seen him since.

Catalogue Trousers

I love the guy unreservedly, and wherever he is I hope that he's happy. His "Baker's" routine is a timeless classic.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"I love the guy unreservedly, and wherever he is I hope that he's happy. His "Baker's" routine is a timeless classic.

It is fucking brilliant, yes.

His act never seemed to seriously break him in broadcasting, though. He managed to get bit-parts on other people's shows (James Whale and Smell of Reeves and Mortimer) but never anything more.  His live set is astonishing and frequently borderline frightening, but clearly nobody at the BBC or any other station could see a way it could be sustained over an entire series.  

He did an interview with the NME at the time of "Smell Of" where he said "There's lots to Chuck that people haven't even seen yet" to suggest that he wasn't a five minute broadcasting wonder, but he didn't back that up with any examples of how he was going to flesh the character out.  I'd have been interested to know.  Was there a pilot?  Did he try anything out?

vdbn

I saw him about a month ago as part of the Liverpool Comedy Festival. He did the same twenty minute set he used to do at Glastonbury, ending with a semi-out-of-character account of performing at Paul McCartney's birthday party. He was very entertaining, even in front of an audience of about twelve people.

In that NME interview, Charlie said there was going to be a children's book and an animated series. Neither of which came to pass, as it turns out.

Glebe

The first time I saw Charlie Chuck was on Sky One's Keith Chegwin-hosted Star Search years back. He was hilarious. I certainly hope he pops up again somewhere soon.

TOCMFIC

Saw him on James Whale first. Thought he was great. I was extremely pleased when he was on "Smell Of". Even more so when he was on their live show as well. (God that was a great night out!)

Was expecting to read he was dead. Anyone know how old he is? I always presumed him to be much younger than he appeared.

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Glebe"The first time I saw Charlie Chuck was on Sky One's Keith Chegwin-hosted Star Search years back. He was hilarious. I certainly hope he pops up again somewhere soon.
Seconded, one of the funniest performances I've ever seen (and I've still got a copy of about three of his performances). He was judged by Paul King and a girl out of Copycats as I remember.

Glebe

Was he on that a couple of times? Because the one I saw, he was judged by Derek Nimmo (and some girl I didn't recognize, could be the same person). The were in stitches, and afterwards compared him to Tommy Cooper. Keith Chegwin was also in knots ("I don't know what he's saying!!"). I remember his daughter was on James Whale with him once.

23 Daves

I don't have the NME article to hand anymore, so I can't research this at all, but was it not the case that he actually had some sort of old-school "variety" background?  Unless he came in on the tail end of it, I'd say that probably makes him at least over the age of 50.

Bert Thung

As I remember he was a drummer in a band in Butlns, since about the seventies

king_tubby

I saw him in a chip shop in Otley in the summer of 2001.

Glebe

Quote from: "23 Daves"I don't have the NME article to hand anymore, so I can't research this at all, but was it not the case that he actually had some sort of old-school "variety" background?  Unless he came in on the tail end of it, I'd say that probably makes him at least over the age of 50.

"If I played in a pub tonight, you'd see a different carry-on. It'd be 'Daisy, Daisy', 'Roll Out The Barrel' and 'Knees Up Mother Brown'.

-From Ha Bloody Ha-Comedians Talking (an excellent book my brother got me one Christmas).