Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Some comedy books I've just found

Started by JCBillington, March 29, 2005, 12:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCBillington

There are no less than 4 second hand bookshops and 4 charity shops in town, but there is one I hardly ever bother with because it is expensive and the bloke tends to hassle you. Anyway, I was passing today, and with it being nice, there were a load of racks outside, including one of humour, with a new label saying Buy One Get One Free.

I got Neil's Book of The Dead, Captain Kremmen and the Krell, Jasper Carrot's Sweet and Sour Labrador and A Little Zit on The Side for £2.75. Apart from the Krell book they are all mint as well. I used to have the two Jasper books as a kid, so I'm very much looking forward to them. There was more as well, the NOT! book, a spitting image book, Everett's autobiog etc. I may have to go back there when I get paid.

Ambient Sheep

Prepare to be mobbed by some of the people on here!

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Prepare to be mobbed by some of the people on here!

Mugged, more like!

Jemble Fred

Never even seen Neil's book of the dead, that'd be a dream spot – why are all the charity shops round here so shit?

It's possible there might be a few copies of Nicholas Craig's 'I, An Actor' going for 99p in a local book shop though if anyone's interested?

JCBillington

The guy gave me a transparent plastic bag with no handles. I wondered why I was getting such funny looks in the bank, until I realised that I had a picture of Japer Carrott holding a slice of Labrador meat tucked under my arm.

neveragain

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"It's possible there might be a few copies of Nicholas Craig's 'I, An Actor' going for 99p in a local book shop though if anyone's interested?

Ooh, just got that the other day. Well, other week. Haven't actually read it yet. Seems lovingly typed.

I used to have a copy of the Not! book when I was a kid, someone mentioned in the comedy connections thread something about a re-issued version with a different cover. It really doesnt matter anymore since I no longer have it but would someone be able to show me a picture of the cover so I can see, just out of interest, which one I had?

Jemble Fred

No pic of it (although I do have that red cover copy), but I am right in saying that they showed only the new cover on last night's documentary? I thought it was a bit shit of them at the time.

TJ

Quote from: "JCBillington"Captain Kremmen and the Krell

Woah woah woah... is this scanner-friendly?

QuoteThere was more as well, the NOT! book, a spitting image book, Everett's autobiog etc. I may have to go back there when I get paid.

Get all of those, they're all great!

TJ

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Never even seen Neil's book of the dead, that'd be a dream spot – why are all the charity shops round here so shit?

It's possible there might be a few copies of Nicholas Craig's 'I, An Actor' going for 99p in a local book shop though if anyone's interested?

Me!

Gavin

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Never even seen Neil's book of the dead, that'd be a dream spot – why are all the charity shops round here so shit?

Me!

Me too!

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"No pic of it (although I do have that red cover copy), but I am right in saying that they showed only the new cover on last night's documentary? I thought it was a bit shit of them at the time.

didnt see the documentary - i need a memory jog - i recall the NOT! being in a little black box in the top corner (like an old tabloid newspaper) and I recall a picture of pamela stephenson inside holding her blouse open to reveal her bra - it was a spoof american express advert i think.

Gavin

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"No pic of it (although I do have that red cover copy), but I am right in saying that they showed only the new cover on last night's documentary? I thought it was a bit shit of them at the time.

didnt see the documentary - i need a memory jog - i recall the NOT! being in a little black box in the top corner (like an old tabloid newspaper) and I recall a picture of pamela stephenson inside holding her blouse open to reveal her bra - it was a spoof american express advert i think.

JCBillington

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "JCBillington"Captain Kremmen and the Krell

Woah woah woah... is this scanner-friendly?

It is, I'll give it a go when I get chance.

QuoteThere was more as well, the NOT! book, a spitting image book, Everett's autobiog etc. I may have to go back there when I get paid.

Get all of those, they're all great!

I will, though I have the NOT! book already.

To make people more jealous, the Jasper and Neil books are most definitely unread, though have clearly been stored for a long time - the shop in question used to be more of a new bookshop than second hand, and he always used to have a big humour section at christmas where I would spend my book tokens as a kid. I'm guessing he's just got a load of stuff from the attic.

R. Sparts

Quote from: "Gavin"i recall the NOT! being in a little black box in the top corner (like an old tabloid newspaper) and I recall a picture of pamela stephenson inside holding her blouse open to reveal her bra - it was a spoof american express advert i think.

The cover was a spoof of James Goldsmith's short-lived 'NOW!' news magazine

..and yes it was a spoof Amex advert, "Would you like to feel my tits now sir"

JCBillington

Quote from: "R. Sparts"..and yes it was a spoof Amex advert, "Would you like to feel my tits now sir"

"Put your head in between them and go bibble bibble bibble" IIRC

ninestonecreature

Anyone looking for 'I, An Actor', head over to Amazon Marketplace, where there are several copies going for pennies, literally.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/0330309722/all/202-7996924-6615059

I mean, it'll actually work out at a couple of quid once you add on the postage, but still a bargain.

R. Sparts

Quote from: "JCBillington"
Quote from: "R. Sparts"..and yes it was a spoof Amex advert, "Would you like to feel my tits now sir"

That's it!!

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"i need a memory jog - i recall the NOT! being in a little black box in the top corner (like an old tabloid newspaper)

It was intended as a parody of NOW! magazine - not today's heat-esque sleb-schlock, but some (possibly Robert Maxwell? Tiny Rowland?) half-arsed early eighties attempt at producing a European weekly new mag in the same vein as Time in the States.

cheers for the piccie gavin, that was the one i had, definitely.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "JCBillington"
<pedant mode>
"Certainly Sir, and would you like to rub my tits too?"
"Put your head between them and go blubble blubble blubble with American Express"
</pedant mode>

File under Things You Don't Forget When You're Fifteen Years Old.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Sherringford Hovis"It was intended as a parody of NOW! magazine - not today's heat-esque sleb-schlock, but some (possibly Robert Maxwell? Tiny Rowland?) half-arsed early eighties attempt at producing a European weekly new mag in the same vein as Time in the States.
James Goldsmith.

weekender

On a slightly related note, Hay-on-Wye is pretty good for comedy books if anyone's passing there.  I got loads of old Python books when I last went (some bookshop in a castle, they have loads of really rubbish books outside with honesty bins - just begging for people to take the books away), and I also had a lovely conversation with the old man behind the counter as to why he trusted me with the key to the locked cabinets with the rare books (which are in huts outside the castley thing), when I was wearing an England football shirt and a shaven head.  Apparently he was too scared to do anything else, and was constantly surprised by my politeness and subsequent maths ability combined with honesty when I pointed out that he'd undercharged me.  

It's a lovely day out, well recommended.  Books are good.  Am I in the right forum?

Pepotamo1985

I'm still desperately searching for the Adam & Joe book. Is it available anywhere at all?

Quote from: "Pepotamo1985"I'm still desperately searching for the Adam & Joe book. Is it available anywhere at all?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64230&item=5180320776&rd=1

Currently £22 though (and that's from a 99p start...)

Pepotamo1985

Cheers, a certain A&J fansite insists that it's constantly listed, but I've never seen it.

Jack Skellington

A few weeks back I managed to pick up a copy of the scripts to The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer from a book fair at uni for 3 quid. Bargain.

Bob: I watched My Left Foot last night.

Vic: Oh, with Daniel Day Lewis?

Bob: No, just me and the wife.

Vic: That's very funny that.

jutl

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Never even seen Neil's book of the dead, that'd be a dream spot – why are all the charity shops round here so shit?

There's a great bit in Alec Guinness' final volume of autobiography (it's a kind of diary thing) where he earnestly attacks 'Nicholas Craig' for his nonsensical approach to the business of acting. The old Knight had read a bit of the book in a Sunday Supplement, and not realised that it was a parody.

Jemble Fred

Aw bless (Isn't it nice to patronise the great and the good?).

Offer's very much closed now, by the way.

Bert Thung

My favourite page from Nicholas Craig - A Great Actor Explores Himself