Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:53:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mach Comedy Festival 2024

Started by Des Wigwam, December 23, 2023, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Wigwam

Thought I'd check the website for no good reason and there's about 30 acts up already including Kiri P-M, Celya Ab, Bridget Christie, Rob Auton. Sold out already are James Acaster and 3 Bean Salad.

So begins 4 months of indecision and spreadsheeting.

Assume the CaB stalwarts of @BritishHobo and @Wayman C. McCreery are going - anyone else?

BritishHobo

Man I totally spaced on the advent this year. I'm currently going back and forth for budgetary reasons. I probably shouldn't, but then I know I always do.

I think if I do go, I'm going to make a properly concerted effort to see unfamiliar comics. I say this every year, but last year I really felt at the end that - much as I love them - I'd mostly seen people I've seen loads already. I miss that feeling of taking a punt on someone I don't know, and being blown away. Of the ones announced so far that I've not seen, I'd really like to see Ceyla AB, Jessica Fostekew and Stephen Bailey.

That said, I've just seen Lorna Rose Treen is doing a show. And I've technically not seen her live, only on a NextUp stream. So maybe...

Personal circumstances dictate that I can't get excited about Mach until I'm in the car and halfway there but I've already got tickets for Amy Gledhill, John Kearns and Three Bean Salad.

Mach weekend is one of my few opportunities to see live comedy these days so I'll try to combine bigger names who I haven't see yet with acts who get positive reviews in the standup thread.

They seem to have changed tactics this year. Last year they mostly announced smaller acts during December, whereas this month they've gone straight in with your Bridget Christies, James Acasters and Miles Jupps.

Plenty of new shows now appearing on the website, including a Delightful Sausage WIP.

Des Wigwam

Thanks for the reminder. Will take a look.

Like you @Wayman C. McCreery this is my only time to see people so I want to to combined bigger names, favourites, and something new. It also coincides with a family birthday that I have pressure to attend but usually manage to get some sort of leave to go. Worst is when that lands on a Saturday - like this year. As a result I'm not counting any chickens as to who I'll get to see or who I should book.

Interesting they've had some bigger names up straight away. Looking across the ticket prices they're all around the £20+ price. Wonder if it's a sign that it will be "bigger" this year. Hope not. Last year seemed pretty perfect.

Des Wigwam

Ah - I see my annual Mark Silcox dilemma has begun already!

BritishHobo

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 23, 2023, 06:28:26 PMMan I totally spaced on the advent this year. I'm currently going back and forth for budgetary reasons. I probably shouldn't, but then I know I always do.

I think if I do go, I'm going to make a properly concerted effort to see unfamiliar comics. I say this every year, but last year I really felt at the end that - much as I love them - I'd mostly seen people I've seen loads already. I miss that feeling of taking a punt on someone I don't know, and being blown away. Of the ones announced so far that I've not seen, I'd really like to see Ceyla AB, Jessica Fostekew and Stephen Bailey.

That said, I've just seen Lorna Rose Treen is doing a show. And I've technically not seen her live, only on a NextUp stream. So maybe...

Yeahhhh there we go. Why do I ever even pretend? Friday is sorted; Lorna Rose Treen and then Josh Widdicombe's WiP. Time then to go for unseen acts the rest of the weekend, with Sean Morley and Sam Nicoresti my only repeat guarantees. I'm eyeing up Ceyla AB, I'm eyeing up Yuriko Kotani, I'm eyeing up all of 'em.

Des Wigwam

Sean M isn't up yet is he? Have just checked but I don't really trust the website. He's my one guaranteed booking even though I spend the first 10 mins terrified of being talked to. And even though that's part of what makes the shows so good.

BritishHobo

He's not - no Sam yet either (although I don't think Sam did it last year either). Should have said they're the two potential announcements I'm holding out for. That said, I'd put money down that I end up seeing Steffan Alun again, as I do love him.

Des Wigwam

I am pretty sure Sam went to Sean M's show last year as am sure I was sitting behind him - but he didn't perform.

Saw Steffan do 10 mins at a showcase and really enjoyed it. He did seem to be covering what I'd seen him do in 2019(?) about coming out as bi-sexual but I guess you put in as good as greatest-hits in those slots. Will try and see him this year as I really enjoy his stuff too. He's the person I did see most often wandering about between venues.

kitsofan34

Quote from: Des Wigwam on January 31, 2024, 02:31:44 PMI am pretty sure Sam went to Sean M's show last year as am sure I was sitting behind him - but he didn't perform.

Sam's pronouns are they/them.

BritishHobo

Another bunch have just gone up, including Rose Matafeo and Rob Newman. Still no Sean though!

Des Wigwam

Quote from: kitsofan34 on January 31, 2024, 03:01:48 PMSam's pronouns are they/them.

Noted. Can't seem to edit my post unfortunately - which seems a very quick timeout.

Sam Nicoresti show now up.

The number of shows I'd like to go to at 12 noon on both days is alarming.

BritishHobo

YESS! Booked, no hesitation. Although I had been really considering seeing David Elms Describes a Room in that slot, so that's one sacrificed to someone I've seen... must be strong and not let the whole weekend become repeat bookings AS I ALWAYS FUCKING DO.

Poppy Hillstead doing Saturday at 12, definitely considering that one. Love her podcast.

BritishHobo

Paul Williams show also now up.

edit - beaten to it by 11 seconds

BritishHobo

I'm intrigued by this:

https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2024/channel-4-artist-development-showcase/

QuoteLittle Wander, Channel 4 and S4C are proud to present our brand new Artist Development Programme! The amazing participants have been working on new material to perform at the festival to begin their TV commissioning journey. Come along to see the very first steps of everyone's new favourite TV shows, bragging rights included!

A'r fersiwn Gymraeg:

https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2024/arddangosfa-datblygu-artistiaid-s4c/

QuoteMae Little Wander, Channel 4 ac S4C yn falch o gyflwyno ein Rhaglen Datblygu Artistiaid newydd sbon! Mae'r cyfranogwyr anhygoel wedi bod yn gweithio ar ddeunydd newydd i'w berfformio yn your ŵyl i gychwyn ar eu taith gomisiynu teledu. Dewch i weld camau cyntaf hoff sioeau teledu newydd pawb, i fynnu'r hawl i frolio!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 07, 2024, 02:41:13 PMPaul Williams is doing a show on the Saturday:

https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2024/paul-williams-work-in-progress/

I was already a big fan of his due to Taskmaster NZ, and I really love his three albums as well, so I may not be a trustworthy source at all. But that all said I loved the show he did at the Soho Theatre in 2022 and I can't wait to see what he does next, so highly recommend this without having seen any of it!

Gittins

Tim Key sold out within an hour of being alerted on socials. I've only been to a couple of Machs - any old timers know if they're likely to run extra showings or move to a larger venue, or have I missed the boat?

BritishHobo

It's worth e-mailing to get yourself on the waiting list. It's happened a couple of times (most recently with Acaster) that a second show has been added, but that's generally been in the Arena, and the venue they've gone for for Tim feels like a deliberate choice for the small size, so not sure whether they will scale up.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2024, 10:32:30 PMI was already a big fan of his due to Taskmaster NZ, and I really love his three albums as well, so I may not be a trustworthy source at all. But that all said I loved the show he did at the Soho Theatre in 2022 and I can't wait to see what he does next, so highly recommend this without having seen any of it!

Cheers, good to know! I've also got a bit obsessed with his music after seeing him on Taskmaster, so have been weighing it up.

Gittins

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 09, 2024, 04:49:55 PMIt's worth e-mailing to get yourself on the waiting list. It's happened a couple of times (most recently with Acaster) that a second show has been added, but that's generally been in the Arena, and the venue they've gone for for Tim feels like a deliberate choice for the small size, so not sure whether they will scale up.

Indeed it feels deliberate with the venue - and to a degree the early evening Sunday slot - which feels perfect for a Key WIP so doubt there will be a venue change.

Thanks, I've emailed to get on the waiting list.

Des Wigwam

Damn. Don't think using social media would have helped me anyhow given the speed he sold out.

Y tabernacl was a great venue for him doing Mulberry. Would have loved to see him this year.

What venue is he in?

I need to get myself organised. Have only got KPM tickets so far and although I am looking forward to it I saw her in Aber recently and don't want to fall too much into your trap @BritishHobo by now ruling out all the Saturday 8pm-ers.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 09, 2024, 04:52:01 PMCheers, good to know! I've also got a bit obsessed with his music after seeing him on Taskmaster, so have been weighing it up.

He did a couple of songs in the show I saw which weren't on the albums but which I loved, so I'm hoping he'll do more in the new show. I did have a brief chat with him afterwards and he was hoping to release a new album in the Autumn of 2023, but it's not happened yet so must be delayed.

I can't imagine they'll bump Tim Key up to a bigger room (I can't remember them ever doing this before, and it is a WIP - so he's in that venue for a reason) but he may well end up doing another show during the weekend.

I'd get on the waiting list but would also keep checking the Mach website. I'm in the habit of checking it every lunchtime at the moment as they seem to add batches of nine shows every couple of days and then announce them on social media later that day.

Gittins

How's everyone's schedules looking? Anyone run the numbers on how many (if any) more shows likely to be announced?

I've got a few slots with a number of shortlists but holding off booking in case of new announcements.

I've just been through last year's programme and counted 187 comedy shows.

184 have already been listed this year, so I think we're just about there.

If I could be bothered I'd look at every venue and see where there are gaps.