Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 23/24

Started by Blue Jam, June 26, 2023, 03:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

New season has just started with the Championship League on Viaplay/Bazzavision.

New snooker thread, you know the drill...

Minami Minegishi

I'll get the ball rolling (lol) with an unpopular opinion: I've been watching Shaun Murphy games on Youtube recently and he truly does have a magnificent snooker brain. Some of his shots are remarkable and often quite bonkers, and he takes on shots that most players would baulk at (lol). I agree with Hendry and Raaankin' Ronnie that he needs to get his head into the game and fuck off the commentating whilst he is still competing, and I would rather not hear his opinions on most things, but especially snooker. However, some  of those shots....

Supernatural:

Also, he made two 147s in three frames against Jimmy in Budapest in 2018. A powerhouse performance that I think some people don't even know happened!

I really have warmed to the fucker in the last 12-months, especially as a competing player, and maybe even just a tiny bit as a human being as well.

Who's with me lads?
Anyone?
No?

shoulders

No one really thought Murphy didn't have a snooker brain, or that he was incapable of pointing things out on commentary, but that he was the epitome of a bloated narcissist who desperately wants to fill a niche no-one asked for and whose typical instincts are to think the worst, most kneejerk rubbish. Who belittled someone who beat him fair and square for having the audacity to be low in the rankings, who then ended up going far further than
Murphy in a world championship.

I agree with Ronnie, when you see cunts like that bomb out you laugh.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

ollyboro

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on June 26, 2023, 05:09:22 PMI'll get the ball rolling (lol) with an unpopular opinion: I've been watching Shaun Murphy games on Youtube recently and he truly does have a magnificent snooker brain. Some of his shots are remarkable and often quite bonkers, and he takes on shots that most players would baulk at (lol). I agree with Hendry and Raaankin' Ronnie that he needs to get his head into the game and fuck off the commentating whilst he is still competing, and I would rather not hear his opinions on most things, but especially snooker. However, some  of those shots....

Supernatural:

Also, he made two 147s in three frames against Jimmy in Budapest in 2018. A powerhouse performance that I think some people don't even know happened!

I really have warmed to the fucker in the last 12-months, especially as a competing player, and maybe even just a tiny bit as a human being as well.

Who's with me lads?
Anyone?
No?

Alreet  Shaun?

Blue Jam

Jimmy truly is the Hank Kingsley of snooker.

Kankurette

I DON'T THINK YOU'RE READY FOR LUCA'S JELLY

sevendaughters

Hope it's another year of players breaking through. We should see some names emerge with ten players off the circuit and the older top guys more vulnerable. Would love to see Si win a couple of tournaments and Luca not just coast, which he's perfectly entitled to do.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: shoulders on June 26, 2023, 08:50:37 PMNo one really thought Murphy didn't have a snooker brain, or that he was incapable of pointing things out on commentary, but that he was the epitome of a bloated narcissist who desperately wants to fill a niche no-one asked for and whose typical instincts are to think the worst, most kneejerk rubbish. Who belittled someone who beat him fair and square for having the audacity to be low in the rankings, who then ended up going far further than
Murphy in a world championship.

I agree with Ronnie, when you see cunts like that bomb out you laugh.

There is a guy on the snooker sub-reddit who is a massive Smurf fan, maybe even the man himself or his Mam, and he gets railed every time he posts. It's a weird hill to die on.

I think he has just ground me down with some excellent and unusual playing. I give Ronnie a lot of leeway because he is so brilliant, same for Jimmy and Alex Higgins who don't seem like the nicest people. Maybe I'm feeling similar towards Murph.

I've even been watching Ebdon matches who is another player I can't stand but who is surreal with his shot choices. As noted by Kyren in his recent Hendry interview.

My hatred for Baron Greenback and Hawk will never die, however.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on June 27, 2023, 01:00:21 PMBaron Greenback and Hawk

Mark Allen and Barry Hawkins? This one is even confusing me.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 27, 2023, 02:12:52 PMMark Allen and Barry Hawkins? This one is even confusing me.

Blue Jam

I thought you were referring to this fella and his waistcoat:

Not sure what there is to hate about Bawkins tho

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 27, 2023, 04:00:03 PMI thought you were referring to this fella and his waistcoat:

Not sure what there is to hate about Bawkins tho

It's a personal thing. I watch a fair bit of snooker live and for some reason when I buy tickets in advance I almost always end up watching a session with him playing. It's just bad luck but it's made me quite irritable about him as I find his style of play mercilessly mediocre.

Blue Jam

Heh, I also watch quite a bit of snooker live and have never seen Bawkins play, instead I've ended up seeing Ronnie loads. As I've never been a GWAAAAAAARN RONNIE type this is probably wasted on me.

Never actually watched Murphy live either but have been unfortunate to see him in the flesh on numerous occasions.

What tournaments have you got lined up for this season, @Minami Minegishi ? For me it's the Worlds again and will probably do several days of the Scottish Open.

Minami Minegishi

I've accidentally moved to Ireland and am working on my house full-time so I have knocked all my expensive hobbies firmly on the head. That also means no bass guitar pedals and pricey film posters.

In the past I have really enjoyed Llandudno a lot, but I've also been to the Masters, UK and to Sheffield a handful of times. I've seen Ronnie play, and annoyingly two of those times was against bloody Hawkins so I'm cursed. But I've seen some cracking sessions over the years.

I plan to get to the Northern Ireland championship to watch skinny Allen probably win again. I've never been but I've always enjoyed it on the telly. Same for the Scottish Open - never been but would love to go.

I will do the Worlds again at some point - it was a little painful watching it this year as I would have loved to have caught even one of those Belgian bullet sessions with his mad shot choices and his gorgeous big arse.

You might have found this yourself, but if you get to Sheffield with a bit of wedge you can pick up last minute tickets quite easily. The hangover crowd often offload them much to my sober delight.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on June 27, 2023, 05:16:32 PMI will do the Worlds again at some point - it was a little painful watching it this year as I would have loved to have caught even one of those Belgian bullet sessions with his mad shot choices and his gorgeous big arse.

I went to the opening session of last year's Scottish Open specifically to watch Belgian Buns defend his title, only to see him defeated by Fraser Patrick.

Would love to see him break the Crucible Curse.

Blue Jam

Gwaaaaaaarn Hoss. Off to a good start against giantkiller Aaron Hill. Mike Ehrmantraut on ref duty.

Good to have the snooker back.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 27, 2023, 06:30:17 PMI went to the opening session of last year's Scottish Open specifically to watch Belgian Buns defend his title, only to see him defeated by Fraser Patrick.

Would love to see him break the Crucible Curse.

I genuinely think all the players get so upright about the Worlds that the Bullets no-practice, get shit-faced prep gives him an advantage. The game has moved solidly towards hours of practice (and psychology)  being the main reason players become champions. But at the Crucible these received wisdoms get thrown out the window a bit.

Maybe the lack of snooker on mainstream TV puts extra pressure on the stage afforded by the BBC coverage.

I would love it if he came back and did the same thing next year. Obvs I would love Ding to have a come-back but ...

Blue Jam

Well, Ding's chances of becoming China's first World Champion have improved somewhat...

Minami Minegishi

I still waiting for him to get implicated somehow given how do much of the naughtiness is connected to his school. Let's hope not

Blue Jam

Thepchaiya Uh-Nooh and Kylo Ren up today.

Someone else watch this please

Kankurette

Blue Jam

Daniel Holoyda vs Dylan Emery. This is essentially Jack Lisowski vs Mitchell Mann but with full heads of hair.

Cuellar

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on June 30, 2023, 06:12:18 PMI'm out

Don't write this tournament off so soon. Over on table 2 Josh Thomand is sporting a tonsure Prince Harry would be proud of.

Blue Jam

Seriously, this Daniel Holoyda guy is fucking uncanny. There's a Little Lebowski on the way:

I hope Lisowski takes him on as his protege and they threaten to rival Mark Williams and Jackson Page and have a ledge-off at the Marshall Arena Nando's.

Blue Jam

On now: Daniel Holoyda vs Ken Doherty. Actual Youth vs The Fountain Of Eternal Youth.

The Darlin' of Dublin also rockin' the standard issue polo shirt like nobody else. Suave MF.

jobotic

So having got rid of Sky to use Freeview i've just signed up to Discovery+ so I can watch the Tour de France and the Vuelta.

But will this open up all sorts of magical snooker to me as well?