Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrasslin' Talk: Punk out

Started by Gurke and Hare, September 02, 2023, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Text to Speech Shibata is a great gimmick.

Deanjam

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Psybro on September 02, 2023, 10:52:38 PMOpen All Out with Cult of Personality and then Sunglasses TK comes out and says "I got all your money already, MARKS"

I remember WWE pulled this at the first Chicago show after Punk walked out on the company. Fired up Cult of Personality and then Paul Heyman came out and proceeded to hype Brock Lesnar instead. Balls of steel.

Timothy

Adressing a live crowd in Chicago to tell them you fired Punk.

Massive respect for Khan.

The Payback main event went almost half an hour? How many times do they have to learn the lesson that Nakamura can't go at that level anymore before they accept it

Psybro

Well, I hope you're all satisfied. You bankrupted a naive straight edge guy — a guy from a Chicago where values are...different. He wasn't thinking about the money. He just wanted to tell a story, a story about a chick magnet punk, and you slick smart marks took him for all he was worth.

kitsofan34

Spiteface

I'm gonna catch up on Rampage and Collision now.

I don't have the fucking energy to say anything else, other than this was likely always going to be the outcome this time, and I wish it wasn't. Fair play to Tony for addressing it in person now. Should have niped this shit in the bud last year. This has been festering since Hangman's "Worker's Rights" line last year, regardless of which side you take.

And he gets fired for fucking JUNGLE BOY, of all people? His music was more over than he actually was.

I hope Collision doesn't get turned into Dyna-lite though, Punk or no Punk. Seeing that the Bucks are already popping up on Saturdays now fills me with dread. I liked that Collision felt different to the other two shows. Hopefully the ones getting more of a spotlight on Collision still get that. They don't deserve to suffer because of someone else's ego.

Gonna be honest, might take a break from all this after All Out. Whole thing has left me feeling very bitter about it all. I'm absolutely not defending CM Punk in any way here. I just hate how all this went down. Maybe find some other wrestling to get my weekly fix of drama in spandex.

kitsofan34

AEW is worse for Punk's sacking. It's a shame that from all accounts I've read, the Elite (the Young Bucks in particular) never showed much interest in patching things up between both sides. As a result both sides of the divide looked at potentially innocuous decisions (Punk not wanting Perry to go through fucking glass) as a politically motivated attack on the other side. Punk does not fit in with this generation of wrestling, he's a very messy bitch but does seem to want to clear things up in a old school, outdated manner, whilst the Young Bucks prefer to passive aggressively make digs on their nauseous youtube show, then come gloat on Collision once Punk's gone.

Collision is a dead show, Warner Brothers have just paid a lot of money for a show without a star attraction, as it approaches even choppier waters in the ratings season with the increase of college football.

Though I seem to be in the minority on this thread, Punk's style of wrestling in AEW was much more my idea of what pro wrestling should be. I loved his run and find the direction of AEW moving forward quite worrying. Jericho and the Bucks, who are both over the hill and have terrible booking instincts, have increased their political clout and an awful lot of money has been left on the table as Punk's big money matches (MJF/Punk 4, Omega/Punk, Danielson/Punk, Kingston/Punk 2, FTR & Punk vs The Elite) will never happen.

I'm not arguing in favour of a tense and fractious working environment but I keep thinking back to that article after the last Blood and Guts, with both sides praising how much fun they had working with each other. Yeah, that's fine and dandy but the feud and the blow off match fucking sucked. The Bucks' side of the divide seem to not really prioritise the fact that the wrestling business is there to make money, to have some animosity and a bit of grit draws people in. But again, this is clearly the modern style and Punk very clearly never fit in.

madhair60

wrestling doesn't need abusive cunts like Punk. hopefully he never works in the business again.

gmoney

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 03, 2023, 11:50:13 AMAEW is worse for Punk's sacking. It's a shame that from all accounts I've read, the Elite (the Young Bucks in particular) never showed much interest in patching things up between both sides. As a result both sides of the divide looked at potentially innocuous decisions (Punk not wanting Perry to go through fucking glass) as a politically motivated attack on the other side. Punk does not fit in with this generation of wrestling, he's a very messy bitch but does seem to want to clear things up in a old school, outdated manner, whilst the Young Bucks prefer to passive aggressively make digs on their nauseous youtube show, then come gloat on Collision once Punk's gone.

Collision is a dead show, Warner Brothers have just paid a lot of money for a show without a star attraction, as it approaches even choppier waters in the ratings season with the increase of college football.

Though I seem to be in the minority on this thread, Punk's style of wrestling in AEW was much more my idea of what pro wrestling should be. I loved his run and find the direction of AEW moving forward quite worrying. Jericho and the Bucks, who are both over the hill and have terrible booking instincts, have increased their political clout and an awful lot of money has been left on the table as Punk's big money matches (MJF/Punk 4, Omega/Punk, Danielson/Punk, Kingston/Punk 2, FTR & Punk vs The Elite) will never happen.

I'm not arguing in favour of a tense and fractious working environment but I keep thinking back to that article after the last Blood and Guts, with both sides praising how much fun they had working with each other. Yeah, that's fine and dandy but the feud and the blow off match fucking sucked. The Bucks' side of the divide seem to not really prioritise the fact that the wrestling business is there to make money, to have some animosity and a bit of grit draws people in. But again, this is clearly the modern style and Punk very clearly never fit in.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well, though I'm more optimistic they'll be able to right themselves. They've got more than enough talent to fill two shows, they can maintain a different vibe for the two shows, hopefully.

Spiteface

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 03, 2023, 11:50:13 AMAEW is worse for Punk's sacking. It's a shame that from all accounts I've read, the Elite (the Young Bucks in particular) never showed much interest in patching things up between both sides.

One thing I read last night was that a meeting was supposed to take place between Punk and the Elite, prior to All In. Punk vs Omega was being considered and this meeting was supposed to help bury the hatchet between all concerned. The Bucks pulled out last-minute, which added to Punk's frustrations. Seems like he was more willing to do business than they were on this.

Again, I hate everything about this. I hate that this is how what it theoretically Punk's last run ends. I hate that I'm less invested in what I'm watching because he's not there (his 2014 departure is a huge reason I stopped watching back then). I hate that my favourite of AEW's shows is probably gonna have that lot all over it because they (probably) got what they wanted.

Watching the Ricky Starks bit on Collision, now. I'm gonna spoiler this just in case but..

Spoiler alert
Bryan Danielson is back, Strap Match against Starks at All Out.

And we're back to the weirdness of Blackpool Combat Club being a heel group but one of them is a babyface.
[close]

Psybro

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 03, 2023, 11:50:13 AMThough I seem to be in the minority on this thread, Punk's style of wrestling in AEW was much more my idea of what pro wrestling should be. I loved his run and find the direction of AEW moving forward quite worrying. Jericho and the Bucks, who are both over the hill and have terrible booking instincts, have increased their political clout and an awful lot of money has been left on the table as Punk's big money matches (MJF/Punk 4, Omega/Punk, Danielson/Punk, Kingston/Punk 2, FTR & Punk vs The Elite) will never happen.

I agree with all this but I also have a strong dislike of overbearing personalities in the dressing room trying to dictate terms to their co-workers to the detriment of the overall product, the kind of thing in WWE that cathartically found an eloquent opponent in (checks notes) CM Punk.

madhair60

it's genuinely surprising how many of you are sad to see the back of a man who attacked production staff

Quote from: Spiteface on September 03, 2023, 12:17:26 PMOne thing I read last night was that a meeting was supposed to take place between Punk and the Elite, prior to All In. Punk vs Omega was being considered and this meeting was supposed to help bury the hatchet between all concerned. The Bucks pulled out last-minute, which added to Punk's frustrations. Seems like he was more willing to do business than they were on this.

This is so obviously a lie, scrabbled together to throw to his personal pravda because he'd run out of excuses that won't be contradicted by footage, that it isn't even worth bothering with. His meltdown started when they renewed, his 'camp' had put out some stories to favoured reporters that they believed the Elite would leave. He didn't want to work together, none of his actions have indicated wanting to work together, he wanted to pretend he wanted everyone to work together to make himself sound like the reasonable adult in the room safe in the knowledge it was never going to happen.

kitsofan34

Quote from: gmoney on September 03, 2023, 12:15:08 PMThis sums up my thoughts pretty well, though I'm more optimistic they'll be able to right themselves. They've got more than enough talent to fill two shows, they can maintain a different vibe for the two shows, hopefully.

But Khan just sacked the man that was clearly responsible for Collision's different tone. Call it 80's 90's cosplay if you want, as if cosplaying 2014 PWG is any better.

Khan sacked him due to an unsafe working environment, whilst Dax Wheeler and Jeff Hardy (anyone see Matt Hardy's nauseating tweet yesterday?) and Don Callis and Justin Roberts and Don Callis are on tv every week.

Psybro

Quote from: madhair60 on September 03, 2023, 12:27:45 PMit's genuinely surprising how many of you are sad to see the back of a man who attacked production staff
Bryan Danielson kicked an innocent bear in the nuts and nobody had a word to say

The Crumb

Really funny describing other wrestlers as over the hill while praising busted up old man Punk shuffling around, falling over and hurting himself as what pro wrestling should be like.

Also funny that the guy getting so arsey about not being asked for his veteran advice by the young blood got worked into absolute raging shoots by those same guys twice. Jack Perry is finally over with me. Hangman already was.

Timothy

Quote from: Spiteface on September 03, 2023, 12:17:26 PMOne thing I read last night was that a meeting was supposed to take place between Punk and the Elite, prior to All In. Punk vs Omega was being considered and this meeting was supposed to help bury the hatchet between all concerned. The Bucks pulled out last-minute, which added to Punk's frustrations. Seems like he was more willing to do business than they were on this.

Wasn't that article posted by Hausman? Which means its basically coming from Punk himself and shouldnt be taken at face value.

The guy physically attacked multiple coworkers and his boss. His recent matches weren't really that good. AEW loses nothing by cutting Punk lose imo.

Deanjam

Quote from: Psybro on September 03, 2023, 12:35:31 PMBryan Danielson kicked an innocent bear in the nuts and nobody had a word to say

That bear had it coming.

madhair60

edit: pointless arguing of the toss with pro-abuser Punk marks

Timothy

How can you call the Bucks over the hill but praise Punk's wrestling? Most of his recent matches weren't good. That GTS he gave to Samoa a few weeks back was atrocious.

And as far as I know the Bucks don't even book matches so not sure what their booking instincts have to do with AEW tv.

Dynamite has been great for months now, the PPVs have been excellent, nothing of value is lost with Punk being out of there.

Old Thrashbarg

AEW was doing perfectly well before Punk arrived. It did perfectly well when Punk was out injured for months with his broken foot. It did perfectly well when Punk was out suspended/injured after All Out. I see no reason to think that now - after he made his return a few weeks ago, didn't really have any great match or storyline, and seemed to be the cause of a new disgruntlement every week - that AEW should suddenly fall apart.

When he was active he had some good feuds and a few good matches. And he was always a captivating presence. But I do find it bizarre that some seem to be willing to accept or excuse his seeming need to lash out at anyone and everyone with increasing regularity.

madhair60

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 03, 2023, 12:57:16 PMAEW was doing perfectly well before Punk arrived. It did perfectly well when Punk was out injured for months with his broken foot.

which he got jumping the barricade LMAO

Magnum Valentino

Yeah wrestling fans of all the fanbases I know of are prepared to overlook the most flaws to keep enjoying what they want to enjoy.

CM Punk can away and shite.

Timothy

All Out has a bit of an odd card but I am really looking forward to it. Mox vs Cassidy will be great, can't wait for the Bucks tag match and Omega vs Takeshita and really happy Danielson is back.

Say what you want about AEW and their odd ppv builds but 9 out of ten times their ppvs deliver.

Psybro

In terms of booking instincts, Jericho, the Bucks and Punk all clearly had some element of control.  The former two have tended to have meandering feuds that peter out after overstaying their welcome, whereas Punk had some great programmes.

Ultimately I'll take Jericho politicking his way to immediately working with anyone who heats up and doing too many talking segments if he's not threatening to spark people out every five minutes.

Timothy

Quote from: Psybro on September 03, 2023, 01:08:32 PMIn terms of booking instincts, Jericho, the Bucks and Punk all clearly had some element of control.  The former two have tended to have meandering feuds that peter out after overstaying their welcome, whereas Punk had some great programmes.

He did until his last return, where he did nothing interesting. The Sparks feud was enjoyable but not much more then that.

Still a bit annoyed that he won from Samoa Joe. Totally unbelievable.

Old Thrashbarg

Also this apparent "Punk's old-school, psychology-based style doesn't fit with the modern flippy-shit style" narrative is a load of shite, isn't it? The biggest star in the company is MJF, who is basically CM Punk with a greater range.

Ja'moke

Do I wish Punk and the Elite could have patched things up and worked together? Sure, but I don't blame the Bucks for wanting to stay clear of Punk, a man who ran down their accomplishments and company, then assaulted them with his mate hurling chairs and biting.

Sure, you can say they're wrestlers, just suck it up and make money. But that's easier said than done. From what the Bucks said, that whole situation really affected their mental health. So I could see why they'd want to avoid putting themselves back in Punk's orbit, especially knowing how volatile it could become again.

On the grander scale, the only thing AEW really loses with Punk gone is his massive merch sales. In terms of moving ratings and tickets, he'd stopped making a difference since his second (third?) return. In fact, the highest-rated episode of Collision (bar the premiere) was the one with MJF & Cole on it facing FTR for the tag titles.

Some will say that WBD gave AEW another TV show because of Punk, but from the reports, including Fightful, David Zaslav already approached TK about a Saturday show before it was even clear Punk was returning. So I doubt WBD is suddenly going to cancel Collision.

I will say that Edge and Mercedes asking prices probably just went up a whole lot though. Mercedes has the kind of loyal following Punk has, so if they want to slot someone into that merch selling spot, they have a chance (if TK can suddenly start caring about women's wrestling).