Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have never felt so shite. Unable to sleep properly since December.

Started by George White, March 18, 2024, 08:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Just back from the doctor. He thinks it's all grief from my mother's death. I persuaded him to start me on 20mg, though he's not convinced it'll do anything. I also convinced him to book me a test for celiac disease, even though again he's not convinced.
He wondered why I was so wound up, and I paraphrased Zoyza's chatter about doctors.

Glebe

McDead

Quote from: George White on March 28, 2024, 01:02:19 PMJust back from the doctor. He thinks it's all grief from my mother's death. I persuaded him to start me on 20mg, though he's not convinced it'll do anything. I also convinced him to book me a test for celiac disease, even though again he's not convinced.
He wondered why I was so wound up, and I paraphrased Zoyza's chatter about doctors.

GPs are never convinced it's coeliac unless you're literally wasting away/shitting through the eye of a needle, but they aren't trained to look or think very deeply about nutritional deficits. Anyway, keep eating bread up till the day of the test - a slice of bread a day at least - or you'll get a false negative.

(And tbh,even if it comes back negative, you should quit it regardless. Like I said in an earlier post, you don't outgrow a wheat intolerance, that's a well debunked myth https://www.verywellhealth.com/can-you-outgrow-celiac-disease-563186)

Whatever happens, good luck. I hope you at least get some relief and better sleep from the increased dose.

Underturd

It's good that your doctor is listening to you, even if they're quibbling about it. Good luck, mate :-)

George White

Quote from: Glebe on March 28, 2024, 01:04:15 PMHave you done any counselling George?
The doctor is geting me some counselling. He said that what he thinks I really need most.

Glebe

canadagoose

Quote from: George White on March 28, 2024, 01:20:05 PMThe doctor is geting me some counselling. He said that what he thinks I really need most.
Great. Hopefully it helps you out, as well as the new dosage and the other tests. It's good you're making progress!

George White

Have very irritating head itches that feel like they're inside my brain.
Still have sore hands, although it flip flops from left to right of my palm.
Did my celiac test today, but still have to wait a week for results.

George White

Took 40mg tonight to make up for none yesterday, and had a really bad reaction.

thr0b

Quote from: George White link=msg=5575192 date=.  U LG 1712722752Took 40mg tonight to make up for none yesterday, and had a really bad reaction.

Yeah, you should never double up on doses. It's a really bad idea and won't work anyway

George White

Brought up acid reflux. I think taking 20mg might be useless itself.

Underturd

No mate, stick with it, it takes a while for it to work. And thr0b is right, never double up doses, the instructions in the packet should have told you that.

Glebe

Yeah George if you miss a dose don't double up on the next one mate, it's potential dangerous.

George White

It costs 250 quid to get an MRI. The doctors say I shouldn't, and that it'd make no fix to my anxiety.

George White

It's not celiac disease.
Worried that it might have been a glioma/astrocytoma that wasn't picked up by the CT, and became a larger glioma, or a gliobastoma in the six months hence.

Glebe

Just stay calm George, it's probably nothing to worry about. Have you started counselling?

George White

Not yet.
My aunt, a nurse who looks after terminally kids in Temple Street (and has thirty plus years experience, was even on a Plank-era Toy Show with Dustin in the 'video of dying kids' bit) thinks I'm fine.

A friend thinks I might have chiari malformation or some chronic diseases common with autistic people,  MCAS comorbidity (stress induced allergic reactions to things you usually aren't allergic to and sometimes no actual contact, just the cells activate by themselves).

C_Larence

Why would it not have been picked up by a CT? If you have had these symptoms and worries for more than 6 months then it is incredibly unlikely to be anything life threatening like a brain tumor.

McDead

How are you eating in general, George?

(Edited to remove the bit about your sleep, cos that's covered by the thread title innit)

Cold Meat Platter

Unbelievable.
The exact same thing happened to my mate, almost to the letter.
He spent ages in and out of the old sawbones before he found out what was going on.

McDead

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 24, 2024, 11:58:02 PMUnbelievable.
The exact same thing happened to my mate, almost to the letter.
He spent ages in and out of the old sawbones before he found out what was going on.

What was wrong, if you don't mind my asking?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: McDead on April 25, 2024, 12:01:48 AMWhat was wrong, if you don't mind my asking?

Not at all.
It turned out he was a turbononce.

Underturd

Just checking in, did the increase in the medication dose help, at all George? I hope so, and good that tests have come back clear :-)

Cold Meat Platter

George White

Quote from: Underturd on April 25, 2024, 12:19:36 AMJust checking in, did the increase in the medication dose help, at all George? I hope so, and good that tests have come back clear :-)
Not really, no.

George White

Quote from: C_Larence on April 24, 2024, 10:56:06 PMWhy would it not have been picked up by a CT? If you have had these symptoms and worries for more than 6 months then it is incredibly unlikely to be anything life threatening like a brain tumor.
I had the CT scan in November. I had symptoms since September. But I've had more and worse symptoms since then, i.e. itchy head, inability to sleep, handcramps, brain fog.

McDead

Quote from: George White on April 24, 2024, 10:21:19 PMIt's not celiac disease.

Then I have two follow-up questions:

Did you eat wheat right up to the day of the blood test? Per the Mayo Clinic, you needed to be eating at least two slices of bread (or the equivalent) per day to get a valid result from the blood test.

Are you eating bread/wheat products now? Would you consider abstaining to see if it makes a difference to your health? I've had two blood tests in the past, both negative, but I know wheat makes me ill, so I'm off it.

I'm only hitting this button so hard because you mentioned having a wheat intolerance in your youth (and also cos your symptoms are an almost total match for coeliac disease and its weirdo cousin, non coeliac gluten sensitivity)

Anyway, good luck,hope you find some answers.

George White

Quote from: McDead on April 25, 2024, 08:51:25 PMThen I have two follow-up questions:

Did you eat wheat right up to the day of the blood test? Per the Mayo Clinic, you needed to be eating at least two slices of bread (or the equivalent) per day to get a valid result from the blood test.

Are you eating bread/wheat products now? Would you consider abstaining to see if it makes a difference to your health? I've had two blood tests in the past, both negative, but I know wheat makes me ill, so I'm off it.

I'm only hitting this button so hard because you mentioned having a wheat intolerance in your youth (and also cos your symptoms are an almost total match for coeliac disease and its weirdo cousin, non coeliac gluten sensitivity)

Anyway, good luck,hope you find some answers.
I ate two slices of bread (with toppings)  as breakfast directly before the test.
I abstained for a week, and it didn't make  difference.