Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Running

Started by Magnum Valentino, July 28, 2023, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2023, 05:17:48 PMNot bragging here but I've never had that problem. I think feet either honk or they don't, it's nature and some people are just unlucky. And they shouldn't be judged!

Best solution may be getting machine-washable or replaceable insoles. Or machine-washable trainers. You're probably best off going to a running shop, sounds like you're a serious runner who wouldn't want a poorly-chosen insole to affect their gait.

My feet smell just fine, but the old trainers deffo not. Yes I can ask in a proper running shop and that.

Proactive

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2023, 04:35:01 PMAnyone know a good way of getting over the ol' DOMS? Went for a relatively smol 2K run on Friday and my legs still haven't quite recovered. I always liked Dr Haushka's sage bath oil but my current flat doesnae have a bath :(

Come to think of it, it was a cold day and I probably could have done with some compression leggings. Do they help with DOMS as well as keeping your pins warm?
Soz but part of being a regular exerciser of any kind means you spend about 90% of your life aching. Fucking ironic really.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Proactive on November 13, 2023, 03:12:44 PMSoz but part of being a regular exerciser of any kind means you spend about 90% of your life aching. Fucking ironic really.

lol no it doesn't, when I ran regularly DOMS was very rare and usualy a sign to get new trainers, more like 5-10%

Blue Jam

Just did 5K! Felt a sudden burst of energy and decided to capitalise on it. Pace was crap but hey, I feel alright and my lungs didn't burst.

Saw two sausage dogs as well. Does anyone else add notes on arbitrary stats to their running app? I always record the number of sausage dogs spotted because it figures that more km = moar sausage dogs and that motivates me.

Magnum Valentino

Would quite like to run outdoors more but the weather is putting me off.

What's best to wear on rainy days so my phone and earphones don't get ruined? Is there such a thing as running gear that's lightweight/comfortable AND rainproof or does one negate the other?

Also what about WARMTH?!

Blue Jam

Running jacket with pockets. Bluetooth earphones, headband. Go to TK Maxx and get it all on the cheap.

Magnum Valentino

Do yousins run when you've a cold? Not the kind where you can't get out of bed but the sort of present-for-a-week-drinking-soup kind.

Just know rightly I'm going to come down over Christmas but don't want to quit AGAIN.

KaraokeDragon

I don't bother running if I'm any kind of sick but I seem to be lucky in that I can take about a week off and not feel too punished anyway.

Kankurette

How do you all even run 5K? My legs go weak if I walk it, especially if I'm having a flare.

merri

You have to slowly build up distances. There's quite a few apps out there that assist. My partner is using one call 'None to Run' and seems to have stuck with it.

Back when I was training for a marathon a few years ago, I gave up on the idea of distance and instead just focused on the time spent on my feet.  That seemed to work better for me than arbitrary distances.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on December 19, 2023, 05:42:28 PMDo yousins run when you've a cold? Not the kind where you can't get out of bed but the sort of present-for-a-week-drinking-soup kind.

Yes. Just keep at it. Makes no difference to your recovery. Obvs, if you're feeling rough, wrap up warm, cut down your distance, take it gently. But do not quit. Enjoy coughing and spitting productively in front of disgusted passers-by.

hamfist

Definitely start small and use an app, and it just grows with time. I have been running consistently since 2012 but lost the routine in the last 2 year. Started again in September this year, and I couldn't do 5K without 2-3 stops (which is fine btw), but now - running with the NRC app it became a habit again and I routinely run 16km nonstop and feel great.

Yesterday I did an hour with Eliud Kipchoge talking soothing wisdoms in my ear, in the woods near where I live, sun was out, just a proper spiritual time.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah I really like the NRC app just for logging runs but Couch25k was essential for me when I got started @Kankurette

Give it a go!

jobotic

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 19, 2023, 08:11:56 PMWould quite like to run outdoors more but the weather is putting me off.

What's best to wear on rainy days so my phone and earphones don't get ruined? Is there such a thing as running gear that's lightweight/comfortable AND rainproof or does one negate the other?

Also what about WARMTH?!

Be careful though. I'm always wearing a bit too much and starting off freezing but getting boiling hot as I run. Hard to carry stuff so you have to keep it on.

Dress for slightly warmer temperatures than if you were going for a walk. And have pockets so you can take gloves on and off.

Not that I've run for about three months so it's none of my business.

Magnum Valentino

Nike Run Club is great, being able to track how far/long I've run with wee reminders how I'm getting on has really made running outdoors enjoyable.

New Year's morning 7k. Don't think I've ever done 7 before and only set out to do 6 (because I "only" do 5s) and could have run on if I'd not ended up so close to home.

Gambrinus

First parkrun since April 2022 this morning! Comfortable personal worst but nice to get out there again. I'm sure they've put the turning cone further up the hill than it used to be.

Glebe

Nice one, keep it up!👍

Proactive

I'm so stoppy starty as I tend to pick up a minor injury every 4-6 weeks because I've pushed it a bit too much, but currently pretty consistent in getting out every 2 to 3 days building back up to 5k, which I feel is the sweet spot as I can do a proper warm up and down either side and a shower within about an hour. I do fucking love how it makes me feel for the rest of the day. Hopefully this is the one where I just keep within my limits until I'm actually ready for 5k, and once I'm there just make that my long run for the week with a couple of shorter ones thrown in, rather than thinking that because I can do 5k, I have to do that every time, which tends to be where I go wrong.

badaids

Doc says I Can't run any more as I've got severe tendonitis.  Killing me to see everyone running about and mocking me so, I'm sure there weren't that many runners before.

Proactive

That's a fucking shitter. Is there a decent "next best thing" you can get into? Cycling would be the obvious one I suppose.

badaids

Quote from: Proactive on March 09, 2024, 04:36:55 PMThat's a fucking shitter. Is there a decent "next best thing" you can get into? Cycling would be the obvious one I suppose.

Yes, I'm doing cycling and it's okay, but I don't have the money to invest in a decent one. On the bike in the gym which is a good work out, but you don't realise how much you enjoy running until you can't do it any more, and then there's the YOU ARE GETTING OLD thing to deal with.