Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,805
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fry Up's

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 09, 2024, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_MacLaine

Had a lovely 'Scotch' in Edinburgh with your Lorne sausage and tattie scones but needed to walk it off up Arthur's Seat it was so heavy.

jobotic

Quote from: Brass Moustache on January 09, 2024, 07:11:15 PMarent they an american import anyway?
Maybe i'm an old fart but i remember a time when hash browns werent 'a thing' when it came to fry ups.

Exactly.

Particularly annoying when you get them instead of toast.

Sebastian Cobb

I like hash browns so don't really see reasons to banish them on the grounds of tradition alone.

I seem to remember potato slices or cubes occasionally being there before they 'broke' into the UK.

iamcoop

Yeah, left over cold new potatoes fried to fuck were always the staple in my house.

gabrielconroy

Best fry-up I ever had was at about 7am in a literal builder's supply warehouse that happened to be sort of near a music venue me and a pal had been to in East London. There were actual builders in there, drinking their cups of builder's, and let me tell you, that assemblage of beans, sausages, bacon, eggs, hash browns, mushrooms and cup of tea could not have slotted in to what I needed at that exact moment any better.

Milo

Quote from: iamcoop on January 09, 2024, 07:22:05 PMYeah, left over cold new potatoes fried to fuck were always the staple in my house.

Aye, in my house a 'fry up' was all the stuff left over from Sunday dinner fried the next day. This included mushy peas as I'm a fussy fucker and they were the only veg other than potatoes that I would eat.

Brass Moustache

Quote from: The Bumlord on January 09, 2024, 07:12:11 PMThey are aghast at beans on toast too.

they talk like we eat like we are still getting strafed by Junkers bombers and there is still wartime privations going on but they just wont let the memes die

Frankly i take no culinary lectures from a country thats given us spray cheese, vomit flavoured chocolate and whole canned chicken.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Brass Moustache on January 09, 2024, 08:29:01 PMthey talk like we eat like we are still getting strafed by Junkers bombers and there is still wartime privations going on but they just wont let the memes die

Frankly i take no culinary lectures from a country thats given us spray cheese, vomit flavoured chocolate and whole canned chicken.

The state of american cereals - Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, Cap N Crunch.  In no position to critique our breakfast.

Blumf

Why don't pubs do all day breakfasts? Fucking cunts have all the ingredients being used across all the other dishes, but it's never on the menu!!

Brass Moustache

Quote from: Blumf on January 09, 2024, 08:49:40 PMWhy don't pubs do all day breakfasts? Fucking cunts have all the ingredients being used across all the other dishes, but it's never on the menu!!
would put greasy spoons out of business.
You wouldnt want that, would you?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Brass Moustache on January 09, 2024, 08:53:15 PMwould put greasy spoons out of business.
You wouldnt want that, would you?

So there's an unwritten agreement between pubs and cafes not to cross streams? "You keep out the cooked breakfast and we won't serve Stella".

Brass Moustache

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 09, 2024, 08:57:02 PMSo there's an unwritten agreement between pubs and cafes not to cross streams? "You keep out the cooked breakfast and we won't serve Stella".
Yes.

Berries

Poor Stella.

She likes a bit of fried bread with a smear of HP.

king_tubby

Everywhere should give you the choice of two rashers of back or four rashers of streaky, given that streaky is so much better.

Gurke and Hare

There are hardly any greasy spoons anywhere these days outside London, it's hard to find one when you're out and about and fancy some unhealthy food. The best fry-up is of course the breakfast at Maggie's in Lewisham where you can choose whichever breakfast items you want from a big list:

In the unlikely event of me ever being asked to be on the Off Menu podcast, a fry-up would be my main course:

- Lincolnshire sausages
- Smoked streaky bacon
- Black pudding
- Fried eggs
- Beans
- Leftover boiled potatoes fried up
- White sliced bread and butter to make sandwiches with

king_tubby

Liver? Ham? FUCK OFF

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 09, 2024, 08:48:26 PMThe state of american cereals - Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, Cap N Crunch.  In no position to critique our breakfast.

And pop tarts. And pancakes drenched in maple syrup.

king_tubby

Americans have scrapple, grit and white gravy for breakfast. They can fuck off too.

Steve Faeces

Department store cafes used to do a decent fry up where you picked your own items. They largely don't exist now though. The Debenhams on Oxford Street had a cafe and it was something like ten items for just over a fiver and your tea or coffee included. This would have been about a decade ago.

All Surrogate

I can recommend the fry-ups at Tulse Hill Hotel. After one of those, I wouldn't need lunch so I had more time for exploring London.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Brass Moustache on January 09, 2024, 07:10:11 PMif you want to cause horror and consternation, circulate this image on any facebook group where there is a large proportion of american members.
Most of them cant fathom the concept of beans and mushrooms for breakfast.

Looks fine. I assume the waffle is just out of frame.

Mr_Simnock

Which looks the bestest?

Butchers Blind

Brian Freeze

Bigger plate needed for No 1, them beans is on the floor soon.

Mr_Simnock

This - https://ifancyafryup.co.uk/ - appears to work, no idea how old the site is or if the places shown are still around

Brian Freeze

Quote from: iamcoop on January 09, 2024, 06:37:35 PMAlso the beans need to be slowly cooked with fuck loads of cracked black pepper and butter, plus a large glug of hendos so they're nice and thick. Watery beans are genocide-tier. Branston as well, Heinz can do one.

Ketchup, HP and any hot sauce of choice on the side, cheers.

We were talking about fry ups with the father in law at the weekend and he reckoned the best beans he had were made in big batches for his shift at the fire station and the fella cooking used a dollop of margarine instead of butter. We did agree about them needing to be cooked till claggy.

king_tubby

They've all got grilled tomato so they can all FUCK OFF.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 09, 2024, 10:10:24 PMThis - https://ifancyafryup.co.uk/ - appears to work, no idea how old the site is or if the places shown are still around

It works for me but misses at least half a dozen or more places off that are a lot nearer than suggestion 3 on the list and that's a very very conservative guess.

Mr_Simnock

Surprising how hard-line, nay almost religious, views on here about what should or shouldn't be included

Brass Moustache

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 09, 2024, 10:06:17 PMWhich looks the bestest?

None of them.
wheres my taytie bread and soda bread option?