Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shooting up England and Wales

Started by Rev+, March 03, 2024, 08:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

The statistics are from a decade ago, but don't really need current numbers on this one, just a general idea of what's knocking about. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/section-1-firearms-held-on-firearm-certificates-in-great-britain/section-1-firearms-held-on-firearm-certificates-in-great-britain

What the fuck is half of this shit?  I have to assume that a 'garden gun' is just one that you keep by the back door for the summer, and accept will get a bit muddy.  Good to see the blunderbuss holding on there, 'POLICE', which I'm guessing has an auto-lock to target the fuzz, the extremely popular 'slaughtering instrument', and of course, the 'very pistol'.

31 people having a 'loading block' followed by one guy with a 'LOADING BLOCK' is presumably a Crocodile Dundee type scenario like out of the film.

Is this a thread?  Dunno.  Statistically some of you must have some of this gear knocking about, so tell us what forms you needed to fill out to get the surprisingly prevalent 'conversion unit'. 

bgmnts

'Other' and 'unknown' are a bit troubling...

Fambo Number Mive

It's weird Pistol is featured twice, one with 37 and one for 23895.

Imagine having the only percussion revolver in the UK.

Buelligan

I think a garden gun is a very small bore normally single-barrel shotgun thing for murdering rats.  You can buy them here at boot sales.  I was tempted simply because I love little old machines, especially when they're made from wood and metal.

Underturd

I don't know if I should be disappointed that this isn't about heroin.

Norton Canes

'Slaughtering Instrument' possibly some ruse

Russ L

That's very pistol, that is.  Well pistol.

Pranet

A very pistol is a flare gun.

My grandad was a farm labourer, and he had a shotgun or something lying about the house which he handed into the police during a gun amnesty. This would have been back in the 80s.

touchingcloth

I wonder how many vintage Robertson's jam jars are owned by the person with the Musketoon.

Buelligan

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 03, 2024, 08:54:55 PM'Slaughtering Instrument' possibly some ruse

Woody Guthrie's guitar, that.

Or maybe, Zappa's.

RottonRaddish

Genuinely interested in what a "Humane Killer" is and whether it is half as humane or twice as humane as a "Humane Killer 2 Shot".

touchingcloth

Quote from: RottonRaddish on March 03, 2024, 09:32:58 PMGenuinely interested in what a "Humane Killer" is and whether it is half as humane or twice as humane as a "Humane Killer 2 Shot".

It'll be a captive bolt gun of some sort owned by someone who raises and kills animals, probably.

You can get ones which are use springs for chickens and rabbits and things of that size, but anything larger will be pneumatic (like that thing in No Country for Old Men), and you can get ones which are powered by blank pistol cartridges. It's probably that last one that requires a licence because you'll need to be able to buy the ammunition?

They're basically starter pistols with a bolt attached, so that said it's strange that neither "starter pistol" nor "STARTER PISTOL" nor anything in between are on the list.

touchingcloth

How exactly does one project a distinject?

touchingcloth

And did hangun go off before greedogun?

All Surrogate

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 03, 2024, 09:52:14 PMThey're basically starter pistols with a bolt attached, so that said it's strange that neither "starter pistol" nor "STARTER PISTOL" nor anything in between are on the list.

More of an ENDER PISTOL, amirite!

touchingcloth

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 03, 2024, 08:46:14 PMIt's weird Pistol is featured twice, one with 37 and one for 23895.

Those 37 are original Pistols before it became a genericized trademark.

Ferris

A "garden gun" is a small-bore shotgun firing 9mm flobert or similar. An absolutely pointless calibre, if there's a strong breeze you won't hit a tin can at 20ft, and I'm an excellent shot so you can trust me on that.

A slaughtering instrument is a captive-bolt pistol used for slaughtering livestock. You want to keep tabs on them, but they're not dangerous firearms in the traditional sense. A "blunderbuss" is a black powder rifle without a standard bore size - they're legal in the UK (within reason) on the basis that they're probably more dangerous for the person behind the trigger than the one in front of it. I'm exaggerating but not by much.

I still (technically) own firearms in the UK (including a bolt-action "garden gun") so am reasonably au fait with the terms. They are a bit mad though, the Canadian terms are much clearer even if they're more dangerous and I've let that license lapse.

Mister Six

Bit concerned about those seven tanks.

I assume many of these belong to film prop people or something?

Paul Calf

Quote from: Rev+ on March 03, 2024, 08:42:21 PMThe statistics are from a decade ago, but don't really need current numbers on this one, just a general idea of what's knocking about. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/section-1-firearms-held-on-firearm-certificates-in-great-britain/section-1-firearms-held-on-firearm-certificates-in-great-britain

What the fuck is half of this shit?  I have to assume that a 'garden gun' is just one that you keep by the back door for the summer, and accept will get a bit muddy.  Good to see the blunderbuss holding on there, 'POLICE', which I'm guessing has an auto-lock to target the fuzz, the extremely popular 'slaughtering instrument', and of course, the 'very pistol'.

31 people having a 'loading block' followed by one guy with a 'LOADING BLOCK' is presumably a Crocodile Dundee type scenario like out of the film.

Is this a thread?  Dunno.  Statistically some of you must have some of this gear knocking about, so tell us what forms you needed to fill out to get the surprisingly prevalent 'conversion unit'. 

A Very pistol is a gun used for launching flares, or 'Very Lights' as they used to be called.

We used to have an air rifle - don't think they needed to be registered in those days - which was a break-barrel loader. The worst injury I saw inflicted by it was when I trapped my finger in the loading mechanism.

It belonged to my cunt uncle who also once bought a live goose that he swore he was going to kill and eat but turned out to be too chicken-shit, thankfully.

dontpaintyourteeth

I'm not surprised by that last part, geese are total cunts. He must have gotten outcunted.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pranet on March 03, 2024, 08:58:53 PMA very pistol is a flare gun.

My grandad was a farm labourer, and he had a shotgun or something lying about the house which he handed into the police during a gun amnesty. This would have been back in the 80s.

Haha, chump! Defenceless chump. Let's storm the farm!!!

PlanktonSideburns

Buelligan

Quote from: Mister Six on March 04, 2024, 05:46:19 AMBit concerned about those seven tanks.

No, Labour Friends of Israel, they use 'em to park on peoples' lawns.

thenoise

Quote from: Mister Six on March 04, 2024, 05:46:19 AMBit concerned about those seven tanks.

There must be #staglad experiences where you can drive a tank about. Maybe even fire at something. The only time most of us will fire a gun is when we're dragged along to #staglad experience days. Unless you're a #farmercunt

touchingcloth

Quote from: thenoise on March 04, 2024, 09:14:56 AMThere must be #staglad experiences where you can drive a tank about. Maybe even fire at something. The only time most of us will fire a gun is when we're dragged along to #staglad experience days. Unless you're a #farmercunt

I think you can go to Cambodia and pay to fire a bazooka at a cow.

thenoise

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 04, 2024, 09:20:25 AMI think you can go to Cambodia and pay to fire a bazooka at a cow.

LADS ON TOOOUUUURRRRR

El Unicornio, mang

Guns are actually pretty easy to legally own in the UK, you just need to be checked for any mental health issues and have police make sure you have your firearm and ammo are stored securely in separate places, and explain why you need the firearm (being part of a gun club is enough). Contrary to belief, you don't need to be a farmer or ex police or anything.

Even the bottom right is legal if you have extensions on it (to avoid concealment) and it's .22 caliber. But the UK doesn't have the gun culture the US has so you don't see many people owning guns.

I have no interest in owning a live firearm, I have a 1930s Nazi Walther PPK which has been deactivated just for a film project which requires it. Weirdly, it's fine for anyone over 18 to own a real gun of any kind that's been deactivated (even something like an AK-47 or anti-tank gun), but you can't own a replica of the same thing unless you're part of a re-enactment group or film production. Antique guns (like from the 1800s) are also fine and don't need to be deactivated or anything.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ferris on March 04, 2024, 02:55:07 AMA slaughtering instrument is a captive-bolt pistol used for slaughtering livestock. You want to keep tabs on them, but they're not dangerous firearms in the traditional sense.
surely if it was there'd be hundreds of thousands of them? But you dont need a licence for them because they arent a firearm (hence "captive bolt", the bolt just projects out into the brain, and you just slide it back into the barrel). Presumably it's what some slaughterhouses call their free-bullet gun they keep for emergencies.

Anyway heres some helpful pictures i just found if youre unclear where to shoot animals.

thenoise