Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This is England '90

Started by BritishHobo, July 30, 2015, 07:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Last series of this, finally here.

Trailer's in this here Guardian article.

Might have to give it all a rewatch beforehand, it's been so long.

Gulftastic

I hope there are more great scenes between Vicky McLure and Jo Gilgun. There were both exceptional in the last series.

Squink

Video cannot be viewed from my current location. In a country where this will almost certainly never be shown. Oh Graun, don't ever stop being you.

MuteBanana

The fight between Gilgun and Shim is one of the best scenes on British telly in fuckin years mate.

hermitical

lame to fame... the school bits from the original This Is England were shot at my old school

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 30, 2015, 09:08:28 PM
The fight between Gilgun and Shim is one of the best scenes on British telly in fuckin years mate.

It's been bloody ages since I've seen it but is that the bit when Gilgun and his posh girlfriend are walking down the street and bump into the old gang?

That scene is top notch. Especially in how we have had these characters deliberately kept apart for so long. This whole "series" is just such a bold and interesting show, with some of the best performances on television.

fit bird

Hope it's a bit less relentlessly grim this time around.

madhair60

Quote from: hermitical on July 30, 2015, 09:24:20 PM
lame to fame... the school bits from the original This Is England were shot at my old school

I actually live in England.

up_the_hampipe

I hope Flip and the scooter gang make a cameo. They were my favourite part of the 86 series.

Who could forget this classic fight scene http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf02he_this-is-england-86-fight_shortfilms

"I'm gonna count down from thirteen"
"Thirteen? That's not even!"

BritishHobo

I'm still really unsure about '86. Veers back and forth between bizarre Carry On-style comedy and really horrible, graphic nastiness.

Mister Six

How many This is Englandses have there been? I've only seen the film.[nb]Which I thought was pretty good, but basically the exact same story as A Room for Romeo Brass, minus the happy ending.[/nb] I do like the idea of taking these characters and continuing their stories a few years along, though.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Bored of Canada on July 30, 2015, 09:30:39 PM
It's been bloody ages since I've seen it but is that the bit when Gilgun and his posh girlfriend are walking down the street and bump into the old gang?

That scene is top notch. Especially in how we have had these characters deliberately kept apart for so long. This whole "series" is just such a bold and interesting show, with some of the best performances on television.

Yeah isn't Woody like a scooter salesman coming home from his job and the others out on the piss I think. It's not just violence there's that tension thats been brewing because of Lol and its such a great scene. Need to get 4oD loaded up and find that.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Mister Six on July 31, 2015, 08:18:42 AM
How many This is Englandses have there been? I've only seen the film.[nb]Which I thought was pretty good, but basically the exact same story as A Room for Romeo Brass, minus the happy ending.[/nb] I do like the idea of taking these characters and continuing their stories a few years along, though.

Just two I think. I think theres only like 3 episodes in each so it's a bit like two long films really.

I've had a look and 4oD don't even have the episodes up. Hopefully they put them back on to get people interested in TIE 90.

I like most of Shane Meadows work but God does he work slow. When's that gyspy thing coming out with Considine? Been years since I heard any talk of that.

MoonDust

I hope this series is set in November of 1990 so it ends with the resignation of Thatcher and then all the characters hold hands and walk off across a field towards a rainbow.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Squink on July 30, 2015, 09:02:51 PM
Video cannot be viewed from my current location. In a country where this will almost certainly never be shown. Oh Graun, don't ever stop being you.
There's a shitty version on youtube if that's any good to you-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3TS1NP24c

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 31, 2015, 08:45:29 AM
When's that gyspy thing coming out with Considine? Been years since I heard any talk of that.
He got into a bit of a wrangle over the rights to that a few years back,
and I think it put the dampers on it for him, hopefully not permanently.

I think Considine would be perfect for this.
He pretty much nailed Bartley with Morell (Romeo Brass).

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: fit bird on July 30, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
Hope it's a bit less relentlessly grim this time around.

From what I remember Shane Meadows saying about his plans for this series, fat chance.

BritishHobo

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 31, 2015, 08:39:25 AM
Yeah isn't Woody like a scooter salesman coming home from his job and the others out on the piss I think. It's not just violence there's that tension thats been brewing because of Lol and its such a great scene. Need to get 4oD loaded up and find that.

Aye, fantastic scene. I'd not been sure of Gilgun in the third series of Misfits, but in that one scene he sold me completely on him as an actor. Heartbreaking and terrifying. As you say, it's just painfully tense, it's more about the horrible air and the sense that you just don't know what Woody's going to do next, and neither does he. The bit where he starts walking away and then piles back in, fucking hell.

Atrocious quality video on YouTube.

DukeDeMondo

I'm lookin forward to this, but I fuckin hated what they did to Lol in the last series. If it's anything like that I'll be proper disappointed.

Shane Meadows shittin himself, there, at the thought of DukeDeMondo off Cookd and Bombd bein disappointed. 

imitationleather

Are there going to be endless scenes of them doing Jack and Jills and dancing to S'Express?

Them all lying in a field loved up as the sun rises and Pacific State plays?

I probably would have lapped that shit up eight years ago.

Lost Oliver

Loved the film but the series was a bit too melodramatic. Some fun bits but overall I was disappointed. Will still watch it though - can't wait for the slo mo crying over sad music bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c26U6yNyNw

BritishHobo

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on July 31, 2015, 05:33:38 PM
I'm lookin forward to this, but I fuckin hated what they did to Lol in the last series. If it's anything like that I'll be proper disappointed.

Shane Meadows shittin himself, there, at the thought of DukeDeMondo off Cookd and Bombd bein disappointed.

What didn't you like, out of interest? I remember really hating her in '86, but I'm not sure I can remember what she did in '88, I was too focused on my Gilgun obsession.

Morrison Lard

If you've never seen The Living Room I'd recommend it.
It's a doc by Shane Meadows about Gavin Clark, who did the music on most of his stuff.

Poor fella carked it a few months back too.

QuoteDeep in the core of me, I'm a bit fucked up.
I'm split 50/50; between me thinking I'm a complete twat,
and the other half of me thinks I'm fucking brilliant

MuteBanana

Sad to hear. I like a lot of the music Meadows uses. Vessel In Vain from Dead Man's Shoes is a killer.

wooders1978

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 30, 2015, 10:55:54 PM
I'm still really unsure about '86. Veers back and forth between bizarre Carry On-style comedy and really horrible, graphic nastiness.

That's the key point of the story though, the majority of the group are having a great time but unknown/unseen to the rest a key member of the group is having a piss awful time - it's explored further in '88

Looking forward to '90 - really love Shane's storytelling

phantom_power

Quote from: Morrison Lard on July 31, 2015, 06:52:51 PM
If you've never seen The Living Room I'd recommend it.
It's a doc by Shane Meadows about Gavin Clark, who did the music on most of his stuff.

Poor fella carked it a few months back too.

I didn't know that. Sad to hear. Crazy On The Weekend by Sunhouse is one of my favourite songs

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 30, 2015, 10:55:54 PM

Completely agree. The original film was excellent but TIE '86 series (although extremely good in parts), was a complete tonal mess with the comedy and drama.  Whereas TIE '88 was a return to form.

MuteBanana

Major cameo from a big star in the new series.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/england-set-huge-cameo-major-6252976#rlabs=1

Is the character they mention even important? The only reason anyone would be excited is if they were a member of the actors fan club.

Major cameo from a proper big star like Paddy Considine would be exicting. But a nothing character played by a fairly well known actor. Nah.

up_the_hampipe

Pukey was very forgettable, just one of Combo's stooges. Jack O'Connell is a great actor though, so hopefully they'll do something good with the character.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: MuteBanana on August 15, 2015, 05:15:17 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/england-set-huge-cameo-major-6252976#rlabs=1

Right, lads, don't shite yourselves. He's not that big a name for Christ sake. Way they're goin on you'd think Saddam Hussein had got a part in the fuckin thing.

thraxx

Is it as good as Freedom '90?