Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,782
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monk

Started by wherearethespoons, February 27, 2007, 08:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Monk is just great.Not quite as good as Columbo, but then what is. Still If only all American shows could be as good as this. It reminds me a lot  of Jonathan Creek (which was meant to be an English answer to Columbo), set up an impossible mystery then find a ludicrous but some how believable explanation. It even had the same kind of quirky humour you'd associate with a Renwick show. It kind of comes across as a very British show in an American setting, which is a consistently briliant combination.

actwithoutwords

Aha. I knew CaB wouldn't fail me. I'd never heard of this until my brother bought my other brother the 5 series boxset for Christmas. Our entire family has been hooked on it for the last month. Great stuff altogether. Shalhoub is fantastic, he has a real gift for physical comedy. I love Stottlemeyer as well I must say, he's a beast of a man.
Sharona disappearing was upsettingly hastily done, but it apparently she was being a general prick on set and the contract dispute was just part of what was going on. I quite like Natalie so far (we are around the start of season 4), plus she is very hot. Unfortunately I have to keep my ogling to myself in the company of my family. I was a bit worried Sharona leaving would be a shark jump, but after the last few episodes I've seen I don't think so. Though there are some fairly weak ones as people have already mentioned.
It almost always gets at least one guffaw out of me though, often when I'm least expecting it.

olafr

I'm another one that loved/loves Monk but found the post-Sharona episodes lacking compared to the others.

Generally, I thought it walked a clever and sympathetic line with the actual nature of Monk's issues.

Famous Mortimer

Re: Neil's spoiler from the previous thread, they interviewed Tony Shalhoub for one of the DVD extras, and they asked him what the worst thing that could happen to the show would be. He said "if Monk gets better". I suppose they have to do a relapse episode every now and again to emphasise for every three steps forward, it's between two and four steps back. It's sad that unless it gets cancelled and finishes properly, Monk will remain like that forever (although it'd be fun to see him in at least one series as a proper cop again, just a fastidiously neat and weird one).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: actwithoutwords on January 28, 2008, 02:28:29 AMSharona disappearing was upsettingly hastily done, but it apparently she was being a general prick on set and the contract dispute was just part of what was going on...
That's interesting –  have only managed to catch a couple of the Natalie shows, and up to then hadn't realised about the change.

Where did you read about Bitty being difficult? I found coverage of one Monk round table where co-creator Hoberman said she "was an unhappy person who made everyone else unhappy... the people on the show did not want that unhappiness anymore." Also, one news story said in addition to Bitty, a number of the supporting cast weren't happy with their contracts and were trying to renegotiate, which lead to three of them not being used for an episode.

olafr

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 28, 2008, 12:52:03 PM
where co-creator Hoberman said she "was an unhappy person who made everyone else unhappy... the people on the show did not want that unhappiness anymore."

Cripes! That quote just sounds weird and laboured, does Hoberman have OCD too?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: olafr on January 28, 2008, 01:49:36 PM
Cripes! That quote just sounds weird and laboured, does Hoberman have OCD too?

Hee - maybe that's how he got the idea.

Just looking briefly, there seemed to be so much speculation about why she left and so many fans upset that she did, it could be just Hoberman letting off some steam.

JCBillington

BBC don't appear to be bothering anymore, but Hallmark are showing Season 5 (which I dont believe has been on Terrestrial) on Sundays 7pm. 2 episodes in as of yesterday.

I definitely think there was a wobble around the Sharona/Natalie switch, as the Natalie character was a bit bland at first, but shes made the role her own now, and the show still throws up some great surprises. Last night's (Mr Monk and The Garbage Strike) was fantastic, with Monk's repeated falsified summing-up montages, including a truly outlandish one with Alice Cooper. Also the bag of garbage dropping into the atrium of the shrink's office was a great touch.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: JCBillington on January 28, 2008, 07:25:06 PM
BBC don't appear to be bothering anymore, but Hallmark are showing Season 5 (which I dont believe has been on Terrestrial) on Sundays 7pm. 2 episodes in as of yesterday.

Excellent (about it being on Hallmark I mean)... now where's that V Box remote.

A Passing Turk Slipper

What do folks think of this season then (6)? There was a period last season where I thought they were going a bit too much for comedy and forgetting about everything else but a couple of episodes made up for that. And thinking back, my favourite episodes of all time tend to be ones which largely play for laughs (Mr Monk does Jury Duty being one that comes to mind). Anyways, Season 6 is pretty good so far I reckon and it's convinced me that Natalie really is as good if not better than Sharona.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I've been enjoying the fifth season on DVD, but was really disappointed with Mr. Monk Meets his Dad.

It seemed a complete betrayal of the Ambrose story.  Fair enough, I understand that they probably can't get John Turturro at the drop of a hat, but the ignorance of that character's motivation just made the story fall flat for me.

Famous Mortimer

That's a shame, you think they'd organise it round John Turturro's schedule if they were going to be doing a family episode (he's been absolutely amazing in the role).

I loved series 5, and haven't got to series 6 yet. I might even watch it again on Hallmark.

Xander

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on January 28, 2008, 08:52:50 PM
I've been enjoying the fifth season on DVD, but was really disappointed with Mr. Monk Meets his Dad.

Totally agree, although I'm sure that after the bike-ride at the end, there will be a follow-up at some point. Whether it'll have the same emotional resonance as them both meeting him in the same episode remains to be seen, but Ambrose is a character ready for another good, meaty dissection. I just wish they'd cut a little slack with Disher. I really liked the episode a few seasons ago where it turned out he was REALLY going out with the wallet model, but his character has to be the most two-dimensional of them all.

I was also pleased to see the return of Keith in Mr Monk is on the Air. Too much of him could be incredibly annoying, but he works in small doses.

Ocho

Quote from: Xander on January 29, 2008, 06:00:24 PM
I just wish they'd cut a little slack with Disher.

In one of the books, Natalie explains that Disher got as far as he did because he's great with the more run of the mill cases.  His guilless appearance means, people open up to him and he can get details that others can't.

I really hate the psychobabble at the end of Mr. Monk and the Actor about how Monk is driven to solve crimes to make up for the fact he can't solve Trudy's murder.  Yes, that would be former career policeman/professional crime-solver Adrian Monk who was even solving crimes when he was a kid (the bakesale flashback, I forget which episode).  It struck me as Batman-level, dimestore Freud.

Xander

Quote from: Ocho on January 29, 2008, 11:19:54 PM
In one of the books

There are MONK BOOKS now?

Edit: Bloody hell, so there are! and written by Lee Goldberg who wrote 3 pretty good episodes too. Even so, I'd like to see this 'trustworthy' Disher being used in the series, rather than the simply exploited Disher - the character who everyone thinks they can pull the wool over the eyes of. And they usually succeed.

Ocho

Not only are there books, Sharona returns in one of them.  Natalie describes her as having 'rough charm'.

JCBillington

Quote from: Ocho on January 29, 2008, 11:19:54 PM
In one of the books, Natalie explains that Disher got as far as he did because he's great with the more run of the mill cases.  His guilless appearance means, people open up to him and he can get details that others can't.

I really hate the psychobabble at the end of Mr. Monk and the Actor about how Monk is driven to solve crimes to make up for the fact he can't solve Trudy's murder.  Yes, that would be former career policeman/professional crime-solver Adrian Monk who was even solving crimes when he was a kid (the bakesale flashback, I forget which episode).  It struck me as Batman-level, dimestore Freud.

I've said this before, (but not in this thread, which makes me wonder where it could have been) but Monk's backstory is all over the shop. The onset of his OCD seems to have been at school (cf: comments about his school illness record and the flashback to him being unable to run because of an obsession with arranging his laces), and during the flashbacks to him meeting Trudy's parents he is basically the same as now. Yet his OCD doesnt seem to have affected his police career until after Trudy's death. I like Monk but it normally does pathos and 'serious' bits very badly indeed.

Xander

Quote from: JCBillington on January 30, 2008, 08:03:12 PM
I've said this before, (but not in this thread, which makes me wonder where it could have been) but Monk's backstory is all over the shop.

I agree that it's very grey, however it kinda works if you assume he had it pretty badly as a child, through his teenage years, and until he met Trudy. Then, Trudy helped him through it in the years they were married, and it gradually lessened until he was relatively normal, albeit incredibly astute. This helped him rise through the ranks to becoming a great detective. The trauma from Trudy's death combined with the revoking of his badge post-Trudy dying led him to have a full-scale meltdown and return to pre-Trudy years.

olafr

What's the appeal of Monk as a character?

It's it that he's a 'funny mental' and his OCD has 'hilarious consequences'? Is it that despite all this, he not only overcomes all this but more than makes good? That his 'making good' surpasses those without his 'funny mentalism' and they who end up either on their knees begging or with metaphorical egg on their faces? Is it because, to varying degrees, we all have an 'inner-Monk' and the appeal is born out of empathy?

Xander

Quote from: olafr on January 31, 2008, 05:37:23 PM
What's the appeal of Monk as a character?

That whole diatribe sounds a little vicious. Are you not a fan, or just genuinely asking? The main appeal is, although cliched, we do all have a little Monk in us. And yes, his OCD does sometimes lead to hilarious consequences. However, thanks to a masterful performance by Tony Shaloub, Monk is an incredibly sympathetic, well rounded individual who you desperately want to overcome adversity but it seems obvious that whilst he may, on a day-to-day level, get by, he'll never be the same man he once was. He's a sincere, wistful, brilliant man that, thanks to some very clever writing and research, shows genuine severe OCD in an unusual situation.

olafr

Quote from: Xander on January 31, 2008, 05:44:19 PM
That whole diatribe sounds a little vicious. Are you not a fan, or just genuinely asking?

Hmmm. About half a dozen posts above I actually state my opinion of Monk. What's the problem? Did you think I was taking the piss?

QuoteThe main appeal is, although cliched, we do all have a little Monk in us. And yes, his OCD does sometimes lead to hilarious consequences. However, thanks to a masterful performance by Tony Shaloub, Monk is an incredibly sympathetic, well rounded individual who you desperately want to overcome adversity but it seems obvious that whilst he may, on a day-to-day level, get by, he'll never be the same man he once was. He's a sincere, wistful, brilliant man that, thanks to some very clever writing and research, shows genuine severe OCD in an unusual situation.

That's all that your post needed.

JCBillington

I would argue that the portrayal of OCD in Monk is more likely to evoke understanding and sympathy rather than laughing at a 'funny mental' . Humour arises from Monks difficulties in everyday life, in a significantly less sensational way than, say, ophidiophobic Indiana Jones being dumped into a load of snakes.

JCBillington

Quote from: Xander on January 31, 2008, 04:39:59 PM
I agree that it's very grey, however it kinda works if you assume he had it pretty badly as a child, through his teenage years, and until he met Trudy. Then, Trudy helped him through it in the years they were married, and it gradually lessened until he was relatively normal, albeit incredibly astute. This helped him rise through the ranks to becoming a great detective. The trauma from Trudy's death combined with the revoking of his badge post-Trudy dying led him to have a full-scale meltdown and return to pre-Trudy years.

Ah, it makes sense when you put it that way.

Xander

Quote from: olafr on January 31, 2008, 07:43:30 PM
Hmmm. About half a dozen posts above I actually state my opinion of Monk. What's the problem? Did you think I was taking the piss?

That's all that your post needed.

Sorry bout that, I skimread a lot of the stuff I didn't really read before I went away last weekend.

Ocho

I think a fair chunk of Monk's personality is from the classic molds of "unworldly, intellectual type made loveable through quirks" (Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe) and "detective who doesn't act like many think a detective should" (Nero Wolfe again, Columbo); OCD is largely a vehicle for the tics and quirks.

Quote from: JCBillington on January 31, 2008, 08:01:14 PM
I would argue that the portrayal of OCD in Monk is more likely to evoke understanding and sympathy rather than laughing at a 'funny mental' .

I wonder how much of this would have still stood had it been Michael Richards vehicle it was intended to be.  I remember seeing an interview somewhere in which Tony Shalhoub says the first script he was given was very Inspector Clouseau.

Marty McFly

Quote from: Ocho on February 02, 2008, 12:02:58 AM
I wonder how much of this would have still stood had it been Michael Richards vehicle it was intended to be.  I remember seeing an interview somewhere in which Tony Shalhoub says the first script he was given was very Inspector Clouseau.

of course, the irony is that Richards' failed sitcom, The Michael Richards Show (what is it with the yanks and unimaginative programme titles?) did have him cast as a detective. and he turned Monk down!

JCBillington

Creator Andy Breckman's long running radio phone-in show 'Seven Second Delay' is now available as a podcast. I have been listening to it for a few weeks and its pretty funny.

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/SD

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JCBillington on February 22, 2008, 04:42:33 PM
Creator Andy Breckman's long running radio phone-in show 'Seven Second Delay' is now available as a podcast. I have been listening to it for a few weeks and its pretty funny.

Been available for yonks, and there's a couple of years of .ra archives on that page as well. Writer / producer Tom Scharpling's "Best Show On WFMU" is also available from a page near there too.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ocho on February 02, 2008, 12:02:58 AM
I think a fair chunk of Monk's personality is from the classic molds of "unworldly, intellectual type made loveable through quirks" (Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe) and "detective who doesn't act like many think a detective should" (Nero Wolfe again, Columbo); OCD is largely a vehicle for the tics and quirks...

Think that very neatly hits the head of the nail - at least for me!

Quote from: JCBillington on February 22, 2008, 04:42:33 PM

Cheers for posting that.