Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is this Josie Long article about cookdandbombd

Started by Garam, January 15, 2021, 03:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

non capisco

Nice to see your name on the boards again, Lfbarfe. Your Les Dawson book is rad.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 21, 2021, 07:20:04 PM
I am not that familiar with it yet beyond the title track, which is what I was really referring to, but I've got round to firing up the record on Spotify now.
I'll have to check the Mixcloud as my sleeping is all fucked up, and I'll likely be asleep by then, but I'm looking forward to it mate :-) hope you and yours are staying safe with all this Covid shit about, it's had me terrified this past year lol.

My sleeping is fucked up to shit. I didn't get to sleep until 7 this morning.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: non capisco on January 21, 2021, 08:34:11 PM
Nice to see your name on the boards again, Lfbarfe. Your Les Dawson book is rad.

Too kind. Thank you. I did one in 2019 about Ken Dodd, and I've got one on Eric and Ernie coming out in the summer.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Goldentony on January 21, 2021, 09:06:16 PM
when is the roy jay book

The Spook Has Got His Cock Out, Hip-Hip-Hip-Hooray will be hitting the shops in 2023.

daf

(Looks like old Slither signed that in felt-tip & it started to smudge on the clarifoil - hence the protective sticky tape)

Norwegian, apparently!

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 21, 2021, 03:16:56 PM
Assuming you're not doing a riff on it yourself, those 'this cunt' posts always link back to the profile of whoever clicks on it, so no need to feel paranoid that the forum has it in for you. It's an hilarious running CaB gag.

I'm never sure how many levels of meta this joke is - does it include the inevitable explanation above, or is it just everything up to that point?

idunnosomename

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on January 22, 2021, 03:34:07 PM
I'm never sure how many levels of meta this joke is - does it include the inevitable explanation above, or is it just everything up to that point?
oh, why's that then?

jfjnpxmy

As a long time lurker, I dug up the thread about That Voice and found it borderline unintelligible. Like a game of Mornington Crescent or some such, just randomly accusing everything of That Voice and jazz hands. Occasionally going "Pegg-like!" as if that was some kind of trump card.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on January 22, 2021, 03:49:33 PM
As a long time lurker, I dug up the thread about That Voice and found it borderline unintelligible. Like a game of Mornington Crescent or some such, just randomly accusing everything of That Voice and jazz hands. Occasionally going "Pegg-like!" as if that was some kind of trump card.
The SOTCAA way of mistaking saying a thing exists, with providing evidence of why said thing is bad. Or even providing evidence of its existence. See their genuinely unhinged piece on how they're responsible for the "Delboy falls through the bar" bit being referenced by other people.

Thursday

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 22, 2021, 03:36:26 PM
oh, why's that then?

Assuming you're not doing a riff on it yourself, those 'this cunt' posts always link back to the profile of whoever clicks on it, so no need to feel paranoid that the forum has it in for you. It's an hilarious running CaB gag.

Chollis

Quote from: Captain Z on January 22, 2021, 04:41:54 PM
And it all started thanks to this cunt.

I know I'm probably not much more than a lurker to a lot of you, but I fail to see why I'm being singled out for this sort of abuse.

EDIT: And I'm mentioned two or three more times later in this thread! Is this for real?

I don't even think we've had much/any interaction in the past - I probably barely post more than half a dozen times a year.

Please explain

mippy

I always thought "the voice" was a reference to the Andy Parsons up in the middle, down at the end thing.

Quote from: Thursday on January 22, 2021, 04:38:26 PM

thugler

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on January 22, 2021, 03:49:33 PM

Haha, I remember being completely confused about that at the time. I mean It's basically partridge's voice, and that there are a couple of things that are somewhat reminiscent of that. But it's really just a kind of pompous/know it all type tone I guess. But the idea that it was ubiquitous along with 'animal whimsy' wasn't ever really true. People were obsessed with it.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on January 22, 2021, 05:33:52 PM

David Pielingtonburybot more like.

thr0b

See also many of the same suspects whinging over on NotBBC that show x had "no joy". Their default for "I don't like this and you shouldn't".

I gave up on NotBBC around that time.

lazyhour

I mostly agreed with SOTCAA about That Voice - it was a self-consciously 'awkward but funny' way of delivering comedic material that was a mix of Alan Partridge, Simon Pegg and David Brent. It's subsided quite a lot recently (who would have thought that things change with time?!) but for several years it did infect British comedy delivery. Where once funny lines were delivered with comedic flair and joi de vivre (eg Blackadder, Young Ones, Seinfeld, Father Ted, Cheers, Soap...), in the UK in the noughties a lot of lines were delivered in the strained Partridge fashion, and this often strangled the life out of the material. It would be like Edmund Blackadder delivering one of his killer lines with an awkward tone and a rising inflection at the end? In other words, toe-curlingly shit. It works for Partridge and Brent because they are toe-curling tragic characters, but for a while every fucker was doing it.

I'm trying to think of shows that were particularly riddled with That Voice. Hyperdrive springs to mind but there were so many.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: lazyhour on January 22, 2021, 06:51:13 PM
I'm trying to think of shows that were particularly riddled with That Voice. Hyperdrive springs to mind but there were so many.

Anything with Marcus Brigstocke, that's not meant as a glib answer as he was a prime practitioner.

I still regret how the whole SOTCAA movement, whose members did not rip off others' research [nb]As can be seen from their site linked to upthread, whose Python and Young Ones sections have since been copied without acknowledgement by others. [/nb]and pass it off as their own, were not racist or right-wing, and for all their dogmatic statements of belief did not treat CaB as a personal blog rather than a forum, became devalued and lumped in with the permanently banned troll, who did all of the above.

Okay, SOTCAA mentioned the Goodies, but not that often.

lazyhour

Quote from: Jake Thingray on January 22, 2021, 07:06:16 PM
SOTCAA ... did not treat CaB as a personal blog rather than a forum...

I'm struggling to work out if you're joking. They dominated the CC forum to a ridiculous degree and went on and on and on at anyone who disagreed with them, no?

Barry Admin

Who cares, honestly.

Also: "don't bring up banned members" doesn't mean "go on about them relentlessly, just not by name."

Move on.