Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:35:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

R4mak4

Started by bgmnts, March 20, 2023, 12:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.engadget.com/resident-evil-4-review-a-half-step-backward-for-capcom-remakes-070100973.html

Sounds like she was just struggling with the game, I'm unsure. However, these complaints:

QuoteRE4 feels unfinished, or at least un-finessed.

QuoteIt feels like much of Capcom's effort was poured into upgrading enemies and environments, leaving Leon in the GameCube-era dust.

Seem very plausible and what I'd expect from a modern remake of a game. Not looking great but only a few days now so everyone say how they get on.

Ferris

Right, well, here's my wanker (albeit correct) resident evil opinion: the best and most playable the franchise ever was involved 3rd person "over the shoulder" mechanics which were only really established on the Wii.

Bad news: everyone (except me) hated it.

Now they're trying to scramble and reinvent shit in a way that keeps the console nerds happy, but technology and received opinion means they can't go back to what worked so well on the Wii for RE4.

This will be fine at best, but without a point-and-click type controller it's not gonna be as fun as it was 15 years ago.

Harpo Speaks

This seems to be a bit of an outlier from the near universal critical praise I've been seeing.

Hope she's turned off replies, the usual gamer cunts will be out in force if she's knocked the precious metacritic score down with her review.

popcorn

Quote from: Ferris on March 20, 2023, 01:06:14 AMRight, well, here's my wanker (albeit correct) resident evil opinion: the best and most playable the franchise ever was involved 3rd person "over the shoulder" mechanics which were only really established on the Wii.

Er... can you decode this for us? What are you talking about mate

popcorn

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on March 20, 2023, 01:09:43 AMThis seems to be a bit of an outlier from the near universal critical praise I've been seeing.

Loads and loads of people were complaining on Resetera about the controls in the demo. But then you have to decide who you trust more: gamers on forums, or game journalists.

Still haven't tried the demo but I'm praying the remake is good because I've enjoyed the last lot of RE games quite a bit.

popcorn

Christ almighty, the way Pro Game Critics talk in IGN YouTube reviews et al. "I audibly cheered", says one dickhead.

Roxy Robinson

Quote from: Ferris on March 20, 2023, 01:06:14 AMRight, well, here's my wanker (albeit correct) resident evil opinion: the best and most playable the franchise ever was involved 3rd person "over the shoulder" mechanics which were only really established on the Wii.

Now they're trying to scramble and reinvent shit in a way that keeps the console nerds happy, but technology and received opinion means they can't go back to what worked so well on the Wii for RE4.

This will be fine at best, but without a point-and-click type controller it's not gonna be as fun as it was 15 years ago.

Quick fact check here.

- 3rd person perspective of RE4 was first on the GC and PS2, then ported to the Wii.

- Everyone did not hate it, it's one of the best reviewed and regarded games ever.

- They're not trying to make 'console nerds' happy because every previous RE game, including the 3rd person remakes of 2&3, was released on console.

Seems that you enjoyed RE4 on Wii and then filled in some gaps.

I also think that's the best version, though.

oggyraiding

PS5 version's Metacritic score sits at 93.

95 positive critic reviews, 2 mixed critic reviews, 0 negative critic reviews.

Not saying the game will not have flaws, but the vast majority of gaming journalists out there are raving about it.

madhair60

she's almost certainly just shit at it

edit: and now to actually read it

Quoteunable to evade basic attacks or reliably land a shot

yep, this is a case of gitguditis

madhair60

oh wait it's the same thicko who wrote this travesty

so i'm putting even less stock in it

Pancake

Quote from: Ferris on March 20, 2023, 01:06:14 AMThis will be fine at best, but without a point-and-click type controller it's not gonna be as fun as it was 15 years ago.

I think what you're trying to say is that you preferred this game with the Wii controller?

I played this originally on the CG (and then the Wii) and much preferred the tension of applying perfect d-pad micro inputs to make every scarce bullet count, not waving a TV remote about

Pancake

Wasn't it a PS and CG game like 2 years before the Wii version?

Jerzy Bondov

The Wii version is way too easy. It's not designed around being able to aim so quickly. You can have like five enemies coming at you and it's not a threat because you can switch targets easily and keep them all at bay. The quick knife also takes all the risk out of slashing at downed enemies because you don't have to stop and aim down.

However. It's also amazing fun. The reloading noises come out of the Wiimote.

popcorn

There's a VR version too and the aiming makes the game look laughably trivial.

Ferris

To be honest, I was just posting a half-baked polemic without really thinking about it. Even the RE2 Remake I'm playing through right now uses over the shoulder view, for example. It probably strayed too close to an actual opinion (I started it by writing my thoughts before thinking "nobody cares about your thoughts mate" so I extrapolated them for my own amusement) which made the whole post malformed.

Apologies, I'll do better (or at least make the opinion more ludicrous and bombastic in future to flag that I'm not being serious). That said, I'm rarely being serious on CaB anyway so if you think about it any confusion over intent is everyone else's fault.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: popcorn on March 20, 2023, 02:26:07 AMBut then you have to decide who you trust more: gamers on forums, or

Stop you right there. It's literally anyone other than gamers on forums.

The Crumb

Playing a traditional fixed camera Resi for the first time in ages, and apart from some cool artsy camera angles I'm quite glad they switched away from them. So much time spent in the map and watching door cutscenes.

popcorn

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 20, 2023, 02:46:18 PMStop you right there. It's literally anyone other than gamers on forums.

it's about ethics in journalism.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Crumb on March 20, 2023, 02:59:23 PMPlaying a traditional fixed camera Resi for the first time in ages, and apart from some cool artsy camera angles I'm quite glad they switched away from them. So much time spent in the map amd watching door cutscenes.

I know people hate it but the fixed camera works so well for games in the survival horror genre. With the added bonus of allowing all the textures to look absolutely gorgeous.

Moribunderast

I just played the demo. Seems pretty good though I fucking sucked at it - could barely hit a target and died all three times I tried to avoid the axeman in the big village sequence. Was weird because I don't remember my aim being so shitty in the remakes of RE2 or RE3 but maybe the controls/camera are a bit different. I definitely felt like the controls (and the camera) were a bit sluggish. Had to turn the camera sensitivity up and just kinda get used to the feel of the controls.

It's exceedingly rare that I buy a AAA game at full-price. This one I'm considering as I do love RE4 and I only played it the once back in the PS2 days. Playing the demo has me erring a little. I'm not sure it felt that fun to play with my aforementioned issues with the controls and camera but that could also be helped by me actually getting used to the gameplay and being able to aim like someone who's shot a video-game gun before.

Are the reviews that have come out from reviewers that have played the full game? I remember RE4 being a pretty bloody long game (by RE standards) and the RE3 remake has me wondering if there's any chunks of the original game that will be removed for a more streamlined effort. It's been so long since I played RE4 that I probably wouldn't notice anything missing outside of a few bosses or set-pieces but I do hope it's still a lengthy experience, worthy of a first-day purchase.

oggyraiding

The reviews that have come out are for the full game, which is apparently about 20 hours long, so perhaps a bit longer than the original.

Proactive

Quote from: popcorn on March 20, 2023, 12:26:53 PMThere's a VR version too and the aiming makes the game look laughably trivial.

The VR version is fucking ace.

Timothy

Quote from: popcorn on March 20, 2023, 02:26:07 AMLoads and loads of people were complaining on Resetera about the controls in the demo. But then you have to decide who you trust more: gamers on forums, or game journalists.

Still haven't tried the demo but I'm praying the remake is good because I've enjoyed the last lot of RE games quite a bit.

I have still no clue why they complained about the controls. They are good, nothing wrong with them imo.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Timothy on March 21, 2023, 06:16:23 PMI have still no clue why they complained about the controls. They are good, nothing wrong with them imo.

It's hard to explain. They just felt a bit sluggish to me. Not in an "unresponsive" way but just in that everything felt a bit slow. I have a feeling that's more down to the core gameplay being from 2005 and me just being used to things (even survival horror games) being a bit quicker these days but that was my feeling anyway. I don't remember having that issue with the other remakes or RE7 and 8, though. I might go back to the demo before the weekend to get another feel for it, decide whether I want to bite the bullet and buy it now or wait 'til it's on sale or on Gamepass/PSPlus.

madhair60

they feel sluggish because mechanics from back in t'day don't feel right when placed under cutting-edge visuals. same reason I don't like REmake, but i've mostly been alone in that one. time is proving me right as usual

bgmnts

REmake still looks fantastic and feels great to play to me but to each their own.

popcorn

I think the rule should be "each to popcorn's own".

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2023, 12:40:04 PMI think the rule should be "eat of popcorn's own mutton flesh".

popcorn

No! No that's not what I said at all.

Glebe

Chainsaw 'im, mash 'im, stick 'im in a zombie stew!