Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hitman: World Of Assassination

Started by Famous Mortimer, February 18, 2024, 06:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The F Bomb

Let's just say, I would love to 'hit' a 'world of ass...', 'man'.

😂😂😂

Famous Mortimer

Sapienza is jolly nice to just stroll round, innit?

I'm progressing very slowly (partly because I barely do any gaming during the week) but I pretended to be a journo to trick target 1 into walking down an alley so I could kill her, then pretty much by accident found what I assume is the back door to the science-y base, snuck in there and eventually figured out how to destroy the sample (two different distraction points in the room, and the other scientists don't say "for fuck's sake, mate, stop pissing about with stuff"). So now I'm off to the other chap, and have worked out a way to get into his house without being frisked. Now to kill him without anyone noticing, which is proving a bit tricky.

I've tried just shooting him then immediately hiding in a bin, but someone sees me no matter how quick I am. I found an exploding golf ball once, but I can't find it again (somewhere near the safe house?), but that might be a future option.

I appreciate this post is "average gamer does simplest things in big computer game", but I'm really enjoying it.

Dr M1nx PhD

There's a very simple way of destroying the virus, if you ever get to the point where you're replaying the level to do assassinations and can't be fucked fannying about with the virus. It also works with Silent Assassin Suit Only.

Noodle Lizard

Loads of options for Sapienza, it's easily one of the best for replayability (although having to do the virus each time is a bit annoying). The bonus mission is fun too.

letsgobrian

I think Colorado is my least favourite location, not so much for the story mission, but it can be a real pain in Freelancer mode.

Mobius

I actually like them all, get something out of each of them at different times depending on what vibe I'm after. The latest one feels off (some island?) but that might just because it feels different as I didn't discover it with all the others

madhair60

i can't do any of them. i can't do the tutorial mission lol

edit: i'm not joking i desperately need advice

Famous Mortimer

Maybe try a let's play or two? Just so you get a sense of the sort of thing you're supposed to do?

The level in this starts at about 5 minutes.

Dr M1nx PhD

Quote from: madhair60 on February 28, 2024, 04:44:45 PMi can't do any of them. i can't do the tutorial mission lol

What are you stuck on?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: madhair60 on February 28, 2024, 04:44:45 PMi can't do any of them. i can't do the tutorial mission lol

You can do it however you want. Just run in and shoot the target and then run out if you like. Generally it's best to try and do it subtly, though. Sneak around, get a disguise, observe the target's patterns. The game also gives you a kind of quest log for each possible scripted assassination if you choose to follow it.

Pink Gregory

think the problem I have with Hitman is that the things you can do are actually fairly prescriptive - which is no bad thing because the game is figuring them out - but it has an appearance of being able to improvise much more extensively than you actually can.

Purely a matter of approach I guess

falafel

I can imagine the little bubble worlds in this game would be a fantastic testing ground for (shoot me) generative AI in games, for example in the interactions between the NPCs and ways to vary approaches, even down to the things NPCs say and/or can learn from each other. You could have a chaos slider in the settings depending on whether you want to play it like a clockwork pocket watch or go more seat-of-the-pants.

Bonus, you'd be training real robot AI hitmen in the background (simple addition to the EULA)

madhair60

i made it to the fashion show now, though when the game asked me to be "creative" in the second run at the boat, it pretty much amounted to me using razor wire instead of a gun

I found some other ways to kill the guy but none of them seemed conducive to not being spotted

bgmnts

My being creative in that level amounted to immediately walking in front of the camera at the beginning of the level.

Pink Gregory

I have semi-played Paris and what I managed to figure out was sneaking into the wine cellar disguised as a waiter, then you can mix up a drink that will send one of the targets to the bathroom, where you can hide beforehand so you avoid his bodyguard.

There are two indistinct bathrooms and I got the wrong one, bit pissed off after that.

H-O-W-L

I'm a 24-year Hitman vet now and I'm going to tell you all this:
Fuck "don't get spotted". Get spotted, walk around a corner, biff a cunt, and take his disguise.

You can always do a dedicated SA/SO run. You can always do dedicated SA accident runs.
Fuck around, get messy, make mistakes, and learn the game. Learn tricks by fucking around, stumbling into them during a Benny Hill esque farce chase. Spot shortcuts by trying to abscond from six guards at once.

Don't get hung up on the "right way" to do things. Hitman is all about being plopped in the center of an intricate Swiss clockwork device and finding out how you can break the cunt.

falafel

bgmnts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 01, 2024, 05:59:52 PMI'm a 24-year Hitman vet now and I'm going to tell you all this:
Fuck "don't get spotted". Get spotted, walk around a corner, biff a cunt, and take his disguise.

This may be true in hindsight but my overriding memory of Silent Assassin is constant dread; an unrelenting fear of seeing that bar in the bottom left of the screen turn red and wildly vacillating, because that means you've been caught and you're absolutely fucked.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on March 02, 2024, 12:49:19 AMThis may be true in hindsight but my overriding memory of Silent Assassin is constant dread; an unrelenting fear of seeing that bar in the bottom left of the screen turn red and wildly vacillating, because that means you've been caught and you're absolutely fucked.

I played most of the way through Silent Assassin recently and I think you can be forgiven for that.  It's a very buggy and inconsistent game.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 02, 2024, 07:18:10 AMI played most of the way through Silent Assassin recently and I think you can be forgiven for that.  It's a very buggy and inconsistent game.

I found the old thread from 2 years back as I remembered I was also playing through it at the same time, I think we both ended up chucking it in as the sheer number of bugs makes it nearly unbeatable at a certain point. Definitely not worth the stress of trying to brute force your way through, it's quite a broken game.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=93280.0

H-O-W-L

Oh yeah ignore that for the pre-Blood Money Hitman games -- those are like, niche-in-niche games that expect you to play a relatively certain way. Blood Money is where the sandbox really began.

Capt.Midnight

I love the new Hitman series, played it for countless hours, but I genuinely don't think they've cracked the gameplay properly.

I think they made a step in the right direction with Ambrose Island, which had a much looser feel to taking out a target. Same with the new Freelancer mode. The Mission Stories, whilst novel and fun, feel tedious to me. You are just following instructions for the most part. Understandably, this is a good way to also reveal storyline aspects to the stage.

Making it up as you go along and improvising, or planning your own methods, is my favourite way to play. However, the rag-doll death physics, particularly blowing someone up with a bomb, look very half-arsed after spending ages setting up your own method of assasination.

I'm not sure how they solve this issue. The chief-designer-type-guy mentioned in an interview that he didn't want the Mission Stories, but the studio (or whoever) decided to put them in later on in production. So I got the feeling it spoiled his inital vision, and at the same time used up all the developer's time in setting it all up.

bgmnts

They've released a new mission that's free for play for a time starring (I think?) Sean Bean as 'Mark Faba (heh)', a disgraced MI5 agent. It's on the race track level.

If anyone is interested.

This may be very old news but I don't play the online content much

EDIT - Turns out this is the old thing from Hitman 2 but is an elusive target! I don't even remember Sean Bean in the game.

H-O-W-L

It was an elusive target back then. Silly money to get Sean Bean in the game and stuff and then it was only around for a week at a time, twice, twelve months apart.