Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook thread

Started by Utter Shit, November 07, 2014, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Works great if you read it in Adam Buxton's internet commentator voice.

newbridge

Does anyone find Facebook worse than useless since the timeline has been reengineered for corporate profit?

I've somehow ended up in a loop where aside from advertisements I am inundated with posts by less than 10 "friends" (several of them being relatives) and others barely ever even show up because they aren't "top" posts in whatever my fucking algorithm is. Meanwhile, on the rare occasion that I make a post myself, it seemingly goes out to an ever smaller pool of users include the same aforementioned handful. Maybe I have a "small" friend list by Facebook standards (as in 400 or so rather than 1000+), but nonetheless.

What the FUCK is this? Who is enjoying this anymore? Do you have to actively use the Facebook Chat feature for your activity level with a wide pool of friends to stay high enough where you actually see what they post?

asids

Quote from: newbridge on June 21, 2017, 01:22:44 AM
Does anyone find Facebook worse than useless since the timeline has been reengineered for corporate profit?

I've somehow ended up in a loop where aside from advertisements I am inundated with posts by less than 10 "friends" (several of them being relatives) and others barely ever even show up because they aren't "top" posts in whatever my fucking algorithm is. Meanwhile, on the rare occasion that I make a post myself, it seemingly goes out to an ever smaller pool of users include the same aforementioned handful. Maybe I have a "small" friend list by Facebook standards (as in 400 or so rather than 1000+), but nonetheless.

What the FUCK is this? Who is enjoying this anymore? Do you have to actively use the Facebook Chat feature for your activity level with a wide pool of friends to stay high enough where you actually see what they post?

Yeah, I seem to have noticed something similar to this, although it's that I always get FB notifications about a small group of friends, that they've made a post/shared a post/commented on someone else's post/some other shite. I have no idea how to turn it off, and I've tried - I'd like to keep group notifications and such coming in but I can't find a way to turn off this specific random notifications about random people nonsense. And these group of people on my friends list are mainly ones that I've had some sort of interaction with before, usually through Messenger, so I guess that's where it comes from.

I barely use the thing these days and it pisses me off no end. The whole thing just seems more broken than ever.

Also, why am I getting friend suggestions that have 1/2 mutual friends above the ones that have 60+ mutual friends? Makes no bloody sense.

colacentral

I was complaining about that the other day too. I started using it again to spam news stories about the election and complain about the Tories, and found that my timeline was 90% adverts and Guardian articles. I genuinely wanted to see if anyone in my friend list was commenting on news but it was a trial to find any real human posts, at least on my phone. I never use it on my laptop or computer.

Is it possible for Facebook to fail at this point? Cos bogging the interface down in extraneous crap is sending it more towards the type of experience that MySpace became, with all its ads, bots, and obnoxious customisation features that turned people off.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: asids on June 21, 2017, 01:36:16 AM
Also, why am I getting friend suggestions that have 1/2 mutual friends above the ones that have 60+ mutual friends? Makes no bloody sense.

Friend suggestions based on one mutual friend are ridiculous. "Hey, want to be friends with this bloke your cousin's in a football team with?"

TheWoodenSpoon

It's a load of old shit, especially when you end up with reams of cringey self-obsessed bollocks getting in the way of anything vaguely interesting. Such as some cunt who takes an average of 20 "selfies" (I fucking hate that word) a day and shows them all off all the fucking time, followed or accompanied by shit jokes that nobody laughs at because they're shit.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: TheWoodenSpoon on June 21, 2017, 01:43:56 PM
It's a load of old shit, especially when you end up with reams of cringey self-obsessed bollocks getting in the way of anything vaguely interesting. Such as some cunt who takes an average of 20 "selfies" (I fucking hate that word) a day and shows them all off all the fucking time, followed or accompanied by shit jokes that nobody laughs at because they're shit.

Which of my Facebook friends are you?!

Custard

This "Don't Forget To Tap Your Oyster Card" video is quite something

(Features racism, but mainly a complete ballbag having an extended meltdown)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155988576524796&id=10979649795

Golden E. Pump

That is so excruciating I was half expecting 'it's just a prank, bruv' at the end.

Quincey

"Lion of London Bridge" who took on the London bridge terrorists was caught on camera appearing to spit on a black photographer

Facebook is full of people regarding it as a left wing conspiracy. Some of the most stupid comments are under a post by Nick Griffin which is one of the ones that come up when you click on London Bridge on the Trending section (I don't follow Griffin on Facebook or anything like that).

QuoteYou only have to say you don't like curry to be labelled a racist these days.Im sick of that word being used all the time.Personally I don't give a damn.
What did anyone expect?

I don't see anything negative about this man, whatsoever.

Who do you think is going to stand up for you when the mass of filth starts to attack?

The lisping, prancing left? No. They will be apologising as they're being raped and stabbed and tortured.

It's honest MEN like this guy that will come to the aid of fellow Brits. Not some gaylord in a rainbow t-shirt talking about how welcome umbobo and aqbakakakaka are.

machotrouts

The joke's on them because I took off my rainbow t-shirt to get spitroasted to fuck by umbobo and aqbakakakaka.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: machotrouts on July 06, 2017, 09:00:35 PM
The joke's on them because I took off my rainbow t-shirt to get spitroasted to fuck by umbobo and aqbakakakaka.

+1 karma for this post

Custard

I'M JUST ME AND I'M NOW GONNA TELL YOU WHY I'M JUST ME AND I'M JUST ME FOREVA WITH THE ANGLES

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 16, 2017, 01:03:48 PM

I'M JUST ME AND I'M NOW GONNA TELL YOU WHY I'M JUST ME AND I'M JUST ME FOREVA WITH THE ANGLES

Awww hun your figure is beautiful hun xoxoxoxoxoxox

Dog Botherer

Gotten so fed up of the mass of shit that Facebook has become that I check it less than once a week now. If anything important happens someone can text me. It's improved my Facebook experience exponentially.

Queneau

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 16, 2017, 01:03:48 PM

I have an amazing figure and a flat stomach! I'm a model too. I eat food; hell yeah I do. And I drink water and breathe oxygen. I have scars because of a car crash and a piece of shit father. I know one person who definitely loves me and one who claims to.  Pretty much everyone else hates me or avoids me because I hate them. I've done good and bad and inbetween. I never wear make up and my hair is the bomb, yo. I'm R@nD0m and crazy!!! I pretend to be someone I'm not (see the opening lines of this and the bit about the hair). I am who I am. You can suck my dick or not. I won't change. And if I let you suck me off, you can do it with all your mouth (and no teeth). I make no apologies for who I am, sorry.  Men, I dare you to share this!

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 23, 2017, 06:36:15 AM
Gotten so fed up of the mass of shit that Facebook has become that I check it less than once a week now. If anything important happens someone can text me. It's improved my Facebook experience exponentially.

I deactivated my account yesterday and it has improved my Facebook experience in ways I can't describe.

I never saw anything, anything at all that was vaguely funny in any way. Just 'look at me, look, go on look at me LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ME ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEEEEEE LOOOOOOOOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!' posts. Like I give a fuck. Bigger fish to fry.

Facebook really is a look in to the cold, dead, self referential side of stupid society.

canadagoose

Quote from: Queneau on July 25, 2017, 03:34:42 PM
I have an amazing figure and a flat stomach! I'm a model too. I eat food; hell yeah I do. And I drink water and breathe oxygen. I have scars because of a car crash and a piece of shit father. I know one person who definitely loves me and one who claims to.  Pretty much everyone else hates me or avoids me because I hate them. I've done good and bad and inbetween. I never wear make up and my hair is the bomb, yo. I'm R@nD0m and crazy!!! I pretend to be someone I'm not (see the opening lines of this and the bit about the hair). I am who I am. You can suck my dick or not. I won't change. And if I let you suck me off, you can do it with all your mouth (and no teeth). I make no apologies for who I am, sorry.  Men, I dare you to share this!
+1 virtual karma for this. Brilliant.

idunnosomename

I DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER!

Dr Rock

Did everyone see Arnold Schwarzenegger on YouTube today having a pop at Nazis, people who hang out with Nazis and Donald Trump. Fair play to the old serial groper.

Custard

Arnie does seem like one of the good ones. Apart from the groping

Read an interview with James Cameron recently where he said Arnie is the least "starry" or egotistical star he's ever met. Absolute zero bullshit, and really nice to everyone. Genuinely cheered my day to read that

Neomod

Beats me. I can only play air AiR1

1. Sexy Boy being a favourite

canadagoose

On a post from Scotland Tonight, a political TV show:

The an cat with should bookshelf xylophone jaguar ROOOOOF DAVIDSON FOREVEr!!!! NAAAAWWWW!!!

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on July 26, 2017, 11:00:01 AM
I deactivated my account yesterday and it has improved my Facebook experience in ways I can't describe.

I never saw anything, anything at all that was vaguely funny in any way. Just 'look at me, look, go on look at me LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ME ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEEEEEE LOOOOOOOOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!' posts. Like I give a fuck. Bigger fish to fry.

Facebook really is a look in to the cold, dead, self referential side of stupid society.
You know you can just... unfollow tedious people on Facebook, right? You can trim it down to just people you think are interesting. And if you don't have anyone interesting on Facebook at all, that might be more of a reflection on you and the people you associate with. I dunno.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 06, 2017, 04:18:12 AM
You know you can just... unfollow tedious people on Facebook, right? You can trim it down to just people you think are interesting. And if you don't have anyone interesting on Facebook at all, that might be more of a reflection on you and the people you associate with. I dunno.

Yeah I did just that actually

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 06, 2017, 09:12:49 AM
Yeah I did just that actually
So even after you did that you still didn't have interesting people to follow? Is that why you deactivated your account?

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 06, 2017, 09:44:16 AM
So even after you did that you still didn't have interesting people to follow? Is that why you deactivated your account?

Mostly just follow pages like guitar pages and other general stuff. Those people are interesting by the way, in person.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 06, 2017, 08:20:29 PM
Mostly just follow pages like guitar pages and other general stuff. Those people are interesting by the way, in person.

MEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEE.

*Yawn*

Unfriended you Syntax.