Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If Luigi, Waluigi and Wario were removed from the Nintendo oeuvre, I'd be delighted. Especially Waluigi. Anyone going on about any of these characters is an instant whopper.

Kelvin

Luigi is great. The only half decent Mario character. You don't know what you're talking about.

OK, I'll accept Luigi.

You're right that I don't know what I'm talking about, not only in this example but as a general rule.

Hecate

I like toady, he's cute, and toadette is the same but wears pink and has pigtails. Princess peach is daft girly fun.
Don't really feel any affinity to plumbers or whatever the rest of them are.

Bhazor

Mayor Pauline as a scene prop? That's not how you treat a best girl.

It sounds like they're going hard for the tourny fight audience. A bit of a change from when Sakurai said he didn't want there to be combos and for it to be a pure party style game.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jun/21/sakurai-says-smash-bros-isnt-fighting-game-completely-different-label-talks-game-development-fighting-genre-and-value-unpredictability/

As usual the fluff looks amazing. Absolutely whorish amount of fan service that I whole heartedly approve of. I adore that they rerecorded "You don't belong in THIS world, monster!" and made it just as shit as before.

Still no mention of the Nintendo Online service. Not even a release date a month before its supposed to go live. Have they realised they fucked it again?

Consignia

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 08, 2018, 03:57:21 PM
If Luigi, Waluigi and Wario were removed from the Nintendo oeuvre, I'd be delighted. Especially Waluigi. Anyone going on about any of these characters is an instant whopper.

Nonsense, Wario's been in tons of ace games. Even if Warioware isn't your cup of Christ, the Wario platformers are brilliant. Pretty much best any Mario handheld.

Bhazor

Anyway enough of that Smash bullshit. More importantly X-morph Defense has been announced for Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=128&v=_U9Vtnecuy4

Quote from: Bhazor on March 01, 2018, 01:39:59 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/408410/XMorph_Defense/

Seemed to have been somewhat overlooked at release without many major reviews and I finally got around to playing it this week. Really solid stuff. The tower defense aspects aren't as good as Defense Grid and its twin stick shooting isn't as good as the likes of Ex Machina or Issac. But combined its just great fun with some lovely little moments of synergy. Like the ability to demolish buildings or bridges mid wave to change paths. Or the boss fights where you have to build turrets to distract him so you can shoot him from behind. It also just looks amazing with some fantastic destructible scenery and a love of gratuitous particles and physx explosions.

Such as

The developers have also shown great support. Adding in new features like survival mode, CO OP, mod support, community maps and generally just being cool guys.

madhair60

Luigi and Wario? Fucking kill yourself, jesus.

Watching Smash direct now and I'm sold on a Switch. Again.

OK I take back everything except the stuff about Waluigi. It smacks of wankers pretending they like something so they can share a joke. Like the Knack 2 joke. Fuck offfffffffffffff.

Sorry that Luigi (a regular bell end) and Wario (just nothing) got caught in the crossfire.

Kelvin

Every time you slag off Luigi, you vindicate Buelligan.

I laughed.

I have to be honest, I didn't mind any of the Nintendo characters until I started playing Mario Tennis Aces and now I hate them all. That's why I can't wait to beat them all up with Ken.

Kelvin

My friend and I have been desperate for a mode where you can pick multiple characters to fight with, for years*. So happy with the modes they've revealed for this game.

*In other words, a more streamlined, balanced version of the final battle in Smash Tour from Wii U.

Bit disappointed you don't appear to be able to turn the stage hazards off for specific levels, though. Loads of stages are fine with hazards on. It's just the bosses and really distracting stuff you want to get rid of.

I love the idea of the Smashdown mode, keeps things varied.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 08, 2018, 05:10:51 PM
I love the idea of the Smashdown mode, keeps things varied.

Is that the one where it eliminates playable characters? Yeah, that's great. My friend and I already do something similar where we pick each other's characters each match, so it's nice to have it built into the game now.

Yeah, I know that most fighting games have random but that's not necessarily what you want, and you can end up with massive imbalance which ends up being worse than just having another match with your mains. This keeps the choice while limiting the repetition. It's a quality idea.

Outlier prediction: I feel like this game is going to rule Christmas.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 08, 2018, 05:44:05 PM
Outlier prediction: I feel like this game is going to rule Christmas.

Smash sells better than Mario or Zelda historically, so it's a safe bet it will do extremely well. I'm fairly sure that it's only behind Pokemon in terms of Nintendo game sales.

Edit: it's behind Mario Kart and Pokemon, apparently.

Twed

That's amazing, the Grim Reaper killed Luigi and he's a fucking ghost swooping his corpse.

I've never played Smash somehow, but I will get this.

Kelvin

I hope you can do 4 player, or even 8 player online with your friends list. Would be great if a bunch of us could all play Smash together.

Ferris

Imagine being this wrong about things. Blimey.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on August 08, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
I hope you can do 4 player, or even 8 player online with your friends list. Would be great if a bunch of us could all play Smash together.

Nintendo doing online well?

madhair60

Just got a tax refund so I'll be getting one of these things at weekend most likely

Hecate

Really enjoyed my time with Unexplored on pc if you lot are looking for something new to play.
I'm not gonna lie, it's not a looker, but it plays well - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Unexplored-1406598.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9VVLH7YRE

That is on my Watch List having watched some videos. Have too much on the go at the mo but I reckon it'd be up my street. Just trying to avoid the spending too much money for a couple of months because I have more money than enough shit to play and accumulating guilt at quite a rate.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Bhazor on August 08, 2018, 04:31:32 PMStill no mention of the Nintendo Online service. Not even a release date a month before its supposed to go live. Have they realised they fucked it again?

There's a small news item about it on the Switch News stream thing. I've not been following what's been announced already, but it gives prices, a weirdly non-commital launch date of "in the second half of September" and lists this:

• Online play
  • Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online
  • Save Data Cloud
  • Dedicated app for your smartphone or tablet
  • Exclusive offers for members
It sounds a bit shit and a way to gouge me an extra £18 a year to continue playing Splatoon 2, but I understand modern gaming idiots are used to this.

Bhazor

They've been saying the same thing since the console launched and the online service was supposed to go live September 2017.

It's a baffling cluster fuck. Surely the richest company in Japan has to have somebody on the board of directors who knows how online services work and how much money its worth. Xbox Live is about the only thing keeping the Xbox alive. So Nintendo playing so fucking coy about it and not saying anything about the virtual console is the wierdest fucking thing. I mean its not the only wierdness regarding online. They spent a year pretending that the Switch had no headset support and you need to use a phone app for online chat then Fortnite just quietly announced they had intergrated voip through the console.

Can Sony's boardroom just take over Nintendo for like 6 months? Make a online service that isn't shit, add in a web browser and then just hand it back.

Laughed at 'Web browser'.

Hecate

The switch had a browser from the off but it was locked down.
Nintendo have been keeping every potential backdoor plugged for as long as they can to postpone the inevitable cracking of the system.
Consumer slapping stuff like no save backups isn't helping their customer goodwill but they've decided that it's worth it.

Twed

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 12, 2018, 01:51:27 PM
There's a small news item about it on the Switch News stream thing. I've not been following what's been announced already, but it gives prices, a weirdly non-commital launch date of "in the second half of September" and lists this:
Yeah, I can't remember where, but I recently got an official Nintendo promotional thing about how it would enable me to play Mario Tennis Online.

madhair60

I don't even have the fucking console yet