Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bits of British LE/low cultural tat cropping up in US things

Started by George White, January 29, 2024, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Eason's and the Metropole cinema in Disneyland - I Captured the King of Leprechauns (1959, ABC) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2EaF8n6iA

Glebe

I just skimmed through that - are they just mentioned?

George White

You see them in the Dublin stock shots of O'Connell St.  https://youtu.be/CQ2EaF8n6iA?t=556

The Eros cinema in Piccadilly
in
They Flew Alone (1942, RKO)
Passport to Pimlico (1949, Ealing)
Royal Wedding (1951, MGM)
Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Murder Case (1964 - Universal/CBS)
Ich Ein Groupie (1970, Dietrich)
Brannigan (1975, UA)
Spectre (1977, NBC)
The Legacy (1978, NBC/Universal)
An American Werewolf in London (1981, Universal/Polygram)
Teheran-43 (1981, Mosfilm)

Glebe

superthunderstingcar

I could have put this in the Contrapoints thread, but 45 minutes 46 seconds into the Twilight video she references a 1987 "debate" on British television between Barbara Cartland (representing "romance") and Jackie Collins (representing "erotica"), and then shows clips from it.

What isn't mentioned is that this comes from Terry Wogan's 1980s chatshow, which British viewers who can remember the '80s will recall was the most mid-evening, middle-of-the-road, lightweight, light entertainment chat show there's ever been. Americans, and young (millenial or younger) Americans at that, who might be expected to constitute the typical Contrapoints viewership, probably would not be aware of this fact.

Wogan is visible on the right of the screen in some of the clips used, although - unusually for him - he doesn't get a word in edgewise. The clips look like they were probably lifted from this BBC Archive clip, which was put on YouTube two years ago:

George White

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on March 25, 2024, 10:01:57 PMI could have put this in the Contrapoints thread, but 45 minutes 46 seconds into the Twilight video she references a 1987 "debate" on British television between Barbara Cartland (representing "romance") and Jackie Collins (representing "erotica"), and then shows clips from it.

What isn't mentioned is that this comes from Terry Wogan's 1980s chatshow, which British viewers who can remember the '80s will recall was the most mid-evening, middle-of-the-road, lightweight, light entertainment chat show there's ever been. Americans, and young (millenial or younger) Americans at that, who might be expected to constitute the typical Contrapoints viewership, probably would not be aware of this fact.

Wogan is visible on the right of the screen in some of the clips used, although - unusually for him - he doesn't get a word in edgewise. The clips look like they were probably lifted from this BBC Archive clip, which was put on YouTube two years ago:

Any mention of Ed Asner being there too (to promote the RKO Story, IIRC)..

George White

Ike (1979)
All-star miniseries with Robert Duvall, Lee Remick, Ian Richardson, Darren McGavin, and featuring Eric Winstone and his Orchestra as characters...

I know Winstone best from his wondrous version of the Dr Who theme (TV21 Themes, 1965).
In a TV21 connection, Noel Coward is played by Francis Matthews.

George White

That new Steve Martin doc talks about the San FranciscoPlayboy club, but uses a photo of  the London club, hence Jack Charlton, David Frost, Malcolm Allison and Pat Crerand.

George White

This RCA ad. RCA used the His Master's Voice dog as their logo. There's a complicated legal battle between RCA and EMI/HMV/Gramophone Company. Of course, both had alliances with Columbia Pictures in the 80s (Columbia-EMI-Warner and RCA/Columbia).

Glebe

It's thought that the props had been shipped over to the US to promote one of the Peter Cushing movies.

George White

Superman II (1980) having a Mothercare in Metropolis (i.e. the Pinewood lot). Apparently, they did have stores in the States briefly.