Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 23-24: Part 3: End of an Era - Auf Wiedersehen, Jürgen

Started by Kankurette, March 17, 2024, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Vincent Kompany will be slapping his players in Portuguese restaurants by the end of next season. While shouting 'YOU FOOKIN NOB'ED' in his weird Belgian/Manc accent.

boki

Kankurette

So the usual suspects are shitting themselves over a fucking multicoloured cross? Including Starmer? I mean, fucking hell, guys, it's not like there's a cost of living crisis or a genocide going on or anything!

Senior Baiano

I heard that they were changing the colour of the cross from red to a kente cloth pattern. Because of woke.

Gurke and Hare

The funniest bit of this flag shagging fuckwittery is the knobhead I saw a clip of saying that messing with flags shows that someone "doesn't understand football fans" as though grounds aren't full of messed with flags.

dr beat

We were watching the Wales game last night and my OH said the dragon on the new Wales shirt is wrong.

Kankurette

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 22, 2024, 05:05:37 PMThe funniest bit of this flag shagging fuckwittery is the knobhead I saw a clip of saying that messing with flags shows that someone "doesn't understand football fans" as though grounds aren't full of messed with flags.
I'd say putting your football club's name on an England flag counts as messing with it.

the hum

Clearly far more controversial is Scotland's new one looking like the Sweden's away top circa Italia '90.

the hum

Who incidentally have just demonstrated they're made of glass. That's now 18 goals conceded in 6 games. Our Euros are going to be a couple of first halves of decent, technically good, even entertaining football, and finishing bottom of the group with a hefty negative goal difference. That Spain win might as well have been a lifetime ago.

If I'm clutching at straws it only really went to shit - and it really did go to shit defensively - after all the subs came on. I've only seen the highlights but Scotland looked OK with the first-choice XI on the pitch and created (but missed) loads of chances, particularly at the start of the second half. But, yeah, lightweight up front, leaky at the back and lacking squad depth isn't too encouraging...

The level of performance seemed to fluctuate from a level that should see off Hungary and/or Switzerland and real wooden-spoon level stuff.

the hum

If nothing else it should put to bed the myth that we have strength in depth. You're looking tops at about 13/14 dependables (with anything interchangeable being all in midfield), with a smattering of really good in amongst that. Beyond that the quality drops off alarmingly. Lewis Ferguson, irrespective of what he's doing in Serie A, does not look up to it, and it's now dawning on me why he gets so few starts.

If Hickey is fit again in time and none of the other core 4 or 5 get crocked then maybe there's a chance. But otherwise...

shoulders

Quote from: Gambrinus on March 22, 2024, 07:50:16 AMAndorra managed a 1-1 draw with South Africa, which seems like a good result for them, although I know nowt about African football.
South Africa got to the AFCON semi-finals a few weeks ago so it does seem good for Andorra. But this match was part of a new competition, the FIFA Series, which is why it was played in Algeria, and I don't know how seriously South Africa or anyone else is taking it.

This year's edition is being described as a pilot and they're planning to expand it and/or feature bigger teams in later years. This year there are a few quite big teams like Egypt, Algeria and Croatia, although Egypt and Algeria are in it partly because they're hosting groups. But I think there will always be quite a lot of Andorra-tier teams because the part of the point of the competition is to give those teams more opportunities to play teams at a similar level from other continents.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on March 23, 2024, 03:24:05 AMSouth Africa got to the AFCON semi-finals a few weeks ago so it does seem good for Andorra. But this match was part of a new competition, the FIFA Series, which is why it was played in Algeria, and I don't know how seriously South Africa or anyone else is taking it.

This year's edition is being described as a pilot and they're planning to expand it and/or feature bigger teams in later years. This year there are a few quite big teams like Egypt, Algeria and Croatia, although Egypt and Algeria are in it partly because they're hosting groups. But I think there will always be quite a lot of Andorra-tier teams because the part of the point of the competition is to give those teams more opportunities to play teams at a similar level from other continents.

Look forward to Scotland vs Vanuatu next time around then

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Kankurette on March 22, 2024, 02:53:59 PMSo the usual suspects are shitting themselves over a fucking multicoloured cross? Including Starmer? I mean, fucking hell, guys, it's not like there's a cost of living crisis or a genocide going on or anything!

My problem with the flag redesign is the shape, not the colour.

How are we supposed to crucify a Christian properly on that, will just look silly with the feet dangling free. Boycott Nike.

Kankurette

Arbiter

The England shirt should just be the St George's cross front and back. Unironically. It would look cool and a good reminder to other countries about what they're gonna get if they mess with us.

DrGreggles

Saw some hilarious responses on that Nike tweet:

"My Dad didn't fight the Nazis so you could change the flag colour on our football shirt"

Not specifically, no.

"It's not up to you what colour it is"

Yes, it is - they're literally the kit designer.

"The only colours allowed are red, white and blue, like on the flag"

Blue?!

"This is racism"

No it isn't.

Kankurette

Christ, if only the worst thing the English had to worry about in WW2 were football shirts.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Kankurette on March 23, 2024, 04:01:28 PMChrist, if only the worst thing the English had to worry about in WW2 were football shirts.

Future football shirts!

Captain Z

Psybro

The players have made their feelings about this chromatic aberration quite clear tonight, and more power to them.

Kankurette

Kankurette

I miss the days when the team had players called things like Bernard and Cuthbert.

shoulders

shoulders

DrGreggles

The downturn in exotic Brazilian names can be directly linked to Fred.

Kankurette

Future Brazilian team: Ken, Stanley, Bob, Bobinho, Frank, Bert, Albert, Cliff, Pú, Pú Jr., Barnimagrão, Cuthberto, Dibble and Grubinho.