Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assisted dying in Scotland?

Started by Underturd, March 29, 2024, 09:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Underturd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68674769

I like this idea, it's got to be easier than going all the way to Switzerland. Plus, they could feed patients deep fried Mars bars to send them merrily on their way, although that would probably take longer than a cocktail of drugs.

madhair60

dontpaintyourteeth

dissolute ocelot

On the one hand, the Catholic church is opposed, but on the other hand, all the disability organisations are opposed.

It's be more Scottish if they just gave tons of heroin to anyone who wants it.

dontpaintyourteeth

madhair60

steve98

Yiz kin cum tae mah hoose in Glaesga if yiz are wantin'  assistance wi dyin', ya fuckin' English fannys. ANY FUCKIN' TIME.

EDITED TO ADD. An' it'll no' be a particularly fuckin' pleasant death either; thur'll be nae fuckin' Mars Bars ur Heroin ur saturated fuckin' fats.

Underturd

^  :-)

The only thing is, that the person has to be terminally ill, so people who are expected to live but have a shit quality of life are expected to just suck it up. Plus there are worries that people will be coerced into it, by family who are sick of looking after them. There's probably only so much fun you can have playing on someone else's Stannah, or making vegetable rack jokes, really.

katzenjammer

We've got this in Spain. The thought I won't have to spend a long time dying in excruciating pain should a terminal illness come my way is quite a relief

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Underturd on March 29, 2024, 10:46:16 AM^  :-)

The only thing is, that the person has to be terminally ill, so people who are expected to live but have a shit quality of life are expected to just suck it up. Plus there are worries that people will be coerced into it, by family who are sick of looking after them. There's probably only so much fun you can have playing on someone else's Stannah, or making vegetable rack jokes, really.

This might be a rather uncharitable thing to say but I think since these people are terminal anyway an impatient family shaving off a bit of care time whilst really fucking abhorrent pales in comparison to the benefits (actual and moral) of letting lots of terminal patients die on their own terms with dignity.

What I wouldn't want to see is coercion coming from insurance companies trying to save money, like it seemingly does in Canada, but I can't see that happening here yet, and it seems like a specific regulatory failing - Canada could make promoting it illegal.

Underturd

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 29, 2024, 11:04:44 AMThis might be a rather uncharitable thing to say but I think since these people are terminal anyway an impatient family shaving off a bit of care time whilst really fucking abhorrent pales in comparison to the benefits (actual and moral) of letting lots of terminal patients die on their own terms with dignity.

No, you're right. What's pissing me off is the idea of it not passing, because too many people think terminally ill or disabled people aren't capable of deciding enough's enough.

Dr Trouser

Did ye, die?

niche Glaswegian joke for you there

Underturd

Bring it to Merseyside so den dey do die don't dey?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Underturd on March 29, 2024, 11:10:02 AMNo, you're right. What's pissing me off is the idea of it not passing, because too many people think terminally ill or disabled people aren't capable of deciding enough's enough.

In my experience most people who are in this situation generally get this stuff done as close to the diagnosis as possible when they're usually in a place of sound mind to ensure such arguments won't be used.

My father dropped down dead while his mother was dying of dementia. They happened to be in the same hospital so we nipped over to see her from the ICU, she'd signed respect forms and was refusing food and water. Seeing her try and recognise me with her uncomprehending eyes was more haunting than seeing my braindead father on a life support machine. It took her a further month to die.

Underturd

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 29, 2024, 11:25:22 AMIn my experience most people who are in this situation generally get this stuff done as close to the diagnosis as possible when they're usually in a place of sound mind to ensure such arguments won't be used.

My father dropped down dead while his mother was dying of dementia. They happened to be in the same hospital so we nipped over to see her from the ICU, she'd signed respect forms and was refusing food and water. Seeing her try and recognise me with her uncomprehending eyes was more haunting than seeing my braindead father on a life support machine. It took her a further month to die.

Oh man, I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

superthunderstingcar

A prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an' a' that;
But an honest man's aboon his might,
Guid faith he mauna fa' that!
For a' that, an' a' that,
Their dignitas, an' a' that,
The pith o' sense, an' pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than a' that.

Underturd

I wonder what Supergran's thinking about all this?

Blinder Data

I guess if we can't manage to properly care for the elderly and depressed, it would save time and money to execute them.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: privatefriend on March 29, 2024, 11:29:38 AMOn a ship called Dignitas

Forcing to listen to Deacon Blue would push most people over the edge

idunnosomename

sensible centrist tory Matthew Parris did a Times column today about how killing off oldies might help boost our economy against China. he's a cunt I hope gets a horrible cancer

Video Game Fan 2000

IT IS THE LAST DUTY OF EVERY CONSUMER TO GO INTO THE TANKS

steve98

My extremities are being whittled away by gangrene, due to the fags (I'm from Glasgow); and it would be nice to have the option of checking out before it gets too bad; while I still have enough fingers to sign the death form.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 30, 2024, 10:18:52 PMsensible centrist tory Matthew Parris did a Times column today about how killing off oldies might help boost our economy against China. he's a cunt I hope gets a horrible cancer

Fucking columnists should be careful suggesting that those who produce nothing of value to society should be euthanised.

Underturd

It's got to be shit though, being one of those "useless" members of society, just waiting for the MS or the MND or the quadriplegia or whatever to finally finish you off, in whatever inconvenient way it finally does. Jumping the queue into the afterlife vs feeling like a burden even to themselves, I can see the attraction.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 30, 2024, 10:18:52 PMsensible centrist tory Matthew Parris did a Times column today about how killing off oldies might help boost our economy against China. he's a cunt I hope gets a horrible cancer

He must be in that group himself now surely?

wrec

When you go will you send back
A letter from Kevorkian

Video Game Fan 2000