Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Poundland Prince: Boris Johnson's cackhanded parliamentary shenanigans pt.2

Started by Mister Six, September 16, 2019, 12:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

lipsink

Well, Question Time should be interesting tonight. I take it Fiona Bruce will for every audience question state the full name of the person asking, if they are affiliated with any political party and their Twitter handle.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteI was one of the doctors who met Boris Johnson today. This was a highly staged press event in a newly refurbished hospital ward at Whipps Cross hospital where the prime minister met a few select members of staff and patients. This event completely brushed over the harsh realities of this chronically underfunded, understaffed and poorly resourced hospital.

The hospital is held together only by the hard work and dedication of its healthcare workers but it cannot be sustained for much longer under these pressures.

I'm so glad that Omar Salem [the man who confronted the prime minister on Wednesday about the hospital's care of his daughter] said the things he did. He was just telling the truth about what it is like to be on the receiving end of poor staffing levels and under-resourcing...

And this visit was not reflective of the realities of working at this hospital. Johnson was taken to the nicest ward in the hospital; there were flowers on display and classical music was playing in the background. I wish the prime minister could have seen some of the other wards, which are nothing like what he saw today. He should come on a night shift and see how everything doesn't function at two in the morning...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/18/the-harsh-reality-of-underfunding-at-my-hospital-swept-away-for-johnson-visit

Dr Rock

madhair60

Quote from: Buelligan on September 18, 2019, 11:16:41 PM
Doing the haka at him would be nice, if everyone, absolutely everyone, did it every time they saw him but it would be cultural appropriation unless we were all Māoris, of course.  I don't think we all are though, which is a shame.  My auntie is but even that, I imagine, makes my right to dance rather tenuous.

I have an auntie Maureen too

Buelligan

Mine's called Lin actually.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 19, 2019, 07:27:16 AM
Used to be such a lovely word.  See also "Sodomite", which those of you with memories of PE in the 1950s will recall meant "happy".

Yes, I believe these were the original happy sodomites.

They're from the Bible.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 18, 2019, 11:56:24 PM
I hope Johnson gets embroiled in a "bigoted woman... oh shit, my mic is still on" imbroglio soon. Only a matter of time.
Yeah, I'm sticking my big tinfoil hat on and imagining a twat like Johnson wouldn't have been able to stifle some kind of Molesworthesque politically incorrect outburst at some point already.

It just doesn't suit the current media narrative as it did for Golden Brown at that exact moment.

Narrative, such a lovely word.

idunnosomename

I suppose if I mocked up Laura K quote tweeting Anne Frank with "she's in the attic" I suppose I'd be a misogynistic antisemite

hamfist

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 19, 2019, 10:43:22 AM
I suppose if I mocked up Laura K quote tweeting Anne Frank with "she's in the attic" I suppose I'd be a misogynistic antisemite

you really should do that

Dr Rock

imitationleather

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 19, 2019, 10:43:22 AM
I complained to the BBC and got the same response as everyone else (not surprising, I'm sure it's automated). I'd be interested to know what sort of feedback she gets from her bosses. BBC staff have to be aware that supporting the Tories is a mug's game, re: their continued employment, right?

lipsink

JOB this morning stuck up for Laura Kuennsberg, saying she's a brilliant journalist who upsets all sides and is receiving all the abuse because she's a woman. Seems to think the wording of her tweet was unfortunate and she obviously didn't mean for everyone to pile on. I'd love to think JOB gives everyone the benefit of the doubt when they say something.

Apparently, it's the Left as well that are "cretins" because we've made the story about Kuennsberg rather than the little girl in the hospital bed or the state of the NHS.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 18, 2019, 10:06:46 PM
it's kinda surprising how fucking bad Johnson is when people aren't rooting for him. he's totally lost. his persona collapses when someone challenges him. totally unlike Trump who doesn't have a public persona, he is a fucking cartoon in public and private. Johnson is a bumbling fool in public and a nasty, conniving cunt in private. and I maintain my opinion, he's not stupid, but very lazy. you could argue Trump is the opposite. Active, but thick as pigshit.

No it's the opposite: he's really stupid but incredibly driven - a focused idiot will always triumph over an erratic genius. The issue is, his drive has only ever extended to the accusation of power. Once he actually gets there (parliament, PM, mayor) he switches off and bluffs it as much as he thinks he can get away with it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on September 19, 2019, 01:47:23 PM
No it's the opposite: he's really stupid but incredibly driven - a focused idiot will always triumph over an erratic genius. The issue is, his drive has only ever extended to the accusation of power. Once he actually gets there (parliament, PM, mayor) he switches off and bluffs it as much as he thinks he can get away with it.
I'm not sure about that. I remember a writer saying the English have a thing for a "talented, but lazy" individual, someone who's drifted through life without having to try very hard. I guess we assume they're either lucky or touched by the hand of god, either of which is a good quality to have.

On the other side, the plucky underdog who sweats their balls off to get to the top tends to get respect until they "make it", at which point we turn on them like rabid dogs as they clearly think they're better than us proles.

And Johnson's journalism career of making shit up doesn't point to someone being that driven to produce good work.

Paul Calf

The secret to success in Britain is to work yourself into a stroke while appearing to scorn hard work and ambition.

Unfortunately, I've always had it the other way around.

pigamus

"Way too much anger out there," says Gary Lineker. No fucking shit, you patronising millionaire crisp vendor cunt.

jobotic

I know that Hodges is thick as shit and that he's also being paid handsomely for this, but fucking hell man have some dignity.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1174579327083659264

And his repeatedly saying "yeah but her first tweet was okay" is hilarious.

Quote from: jobotic on September 19, 2019, 03:20:52 PM
I know that Hodges is thick as shit and that he's also being paid handsomely for this, but fucking hell man have some dignity.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1174579327083659264

And his repeatedly saying "yeah but her first tweet was okay" is hilarious.

You know your life's gone wrong when Emma Kennedy is making you look stupid.

pancreas

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 19, 2019, 03:40:09 PM
You know your life's gone wrong when Emma Kennedy is making you look stupid.

How does something like Emma Kennedy happen? HOW.

Mister Six

Fambo Number Mive

It actually seems more about scaring people into thinking twice about being publicly critical of the Prime Minister, Dan.

NoSleep

I'm a bit lost with what I originally assumed to be some Tory theatre, re: the sacking of many Tory MPs. If some are still working in their roles in government, then why are others infiltrating the LibDems? I hope this works out terribly for the LibDems, of course. And the Tories.

Fambo Number Mive

Debunking of one of the pro-Johnson people criticisms of the man at Whipps Cross:

Quote...
Photographs of the two men talking and of Mr Salem from behind don't show any microphone on his t-shirt collar, any cables, or a microphone transmitter in his pocket or on his person.

The sound in footage of the interaction filmed by the Press Association and the BBC also suggests the man wasn't wearing a microphone. The Press Association confirmed to us that it had not used a wireless radio microphone on Mr Salem. The BBC told us that the cameraman who filmed the clip confirmed that neither Mr Salem nor the Prime Minister were wearing radio microphones, and that the audio was picked up by the microphone attached to the camera.

His voice is echoing as it would if recorded from a microphone near the camera, which was a few metres away. This also seems to be the case for a third video of the incident, from a slightly different angle, posted by an ITV political reporter.

His voice was raised during the interaction, making it unsurprising that conversation was picked up by nearby recording cameras...

https://fullfact.org/online/omar-salem-boris-johnson-microphone/

greencalx