Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:42:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Lord of the Rings

Started by Magnum Valentino, November 16, 2023, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Have a copy of Unfinished Tales here glowering at me for being too much of a big fat baby to get started on it.

greenman

As said its not a single narrative but a bit of an odds and sods collection so each part of it is not really that big a commitment.

Ferris

I love it, but that's because I'm a fucking nerd.

I'm also reading the Sagas of the Icelanders (ahead of a hiking trip to Iceland) and am enjoying the sort of... parallels (?) in the storytelling?

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Ferris on March 27, 2024, 09:34:42 PMI love it, but that's because I'm a fucking nerd.

I'm also reading the Sagas of the Icelanders (ahead of a hiking trip to Iceland) and am enjoying the sort of... parallels (?) in the storytelling?
Ooh, nice. Any particular recommendations for somebody to get started on them? Closest I've ever come is Njorl's Saga, the Monty Python sketch.

Ferris

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on March 29, 2024, 09:00:45 PMOoh, nice. Any particular recommendations for somebody to get started on them? Closest I've ever come is Njorl's Saga, the Monty Python sketch.

I have this version which does a really great job of translating them, giving historical/geographic context for the stories, and providing an academic explanation of why they're important.

That's worth the price of admission above a regular copy for me. Maps and linguistic nerd-shit? Yes please!

superthunderstingcar

Nice one! Probably take me until 2026 to get round to it, mind you.

horse_renoir

I'm finally reading LoTR in my mid 30s and loving it.

I typically prefer 'low fantasy' but the usual grimness of the genre has been putting me off recently. I tried to read it as a kid but couldn't get into it, so I'm glad I gave it another shot. Makes me excited to read the Hobbit to my kids when they're a bit older.

Magnum Valentino

Well I guess you're all wondering if ol Magnum V, thread architect, ever got round to reading this fucker.

I have NOT read it, yet - but I did find a nice 1994 hardcover with a lovely John Howe painting of Gandalf on the cover for free at my local Tesco's second-hand books shelf.

So that's the first hurdle!

Currently making my way through Costa Botes' fly on the wall docs from the DVD sets instead.