Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 14, part 2: RTD's time has come (again)

Started by Mister Six, November 25, 2023, 06:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

Just like 2008 all over again for me, which means I though it was reasonably entertaining.

BritishHobo

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I loved it. Yeah, the Meep storyline was thin, but so what? It was clearly designed as a big Fuck Off "Woohoo! Do you remember Doctor Who?!" Saturday night blast of entertainment.

It won't always be like that. It was like that tonight for a reason.

Midas

DrumsAndWires

only decent thing about the episode was the soundtrack & visuals. they were compensating pretty hard.

Kelvin

A mixed bag that benefits from following straight after Chibnall's tenure. Despite my doubts about revisiting Tenant's Doctor, seeing him on screen was like slipping into a pair of comfy old slippers. Although sadly I experienced less nostalgia for RTD's writing, which was as patchy and inconsistent as ever; heart-felt, moving and funny at its best, but regularly slipping into hackneyed tropes ("a storm's coming") and lazy plot mechanics (all the cracks resealing?) at its worst.

I also thought the Rose subplot started really well, but became very clumsy towards the end. It didn't feel set up properly at all, and the revelations (like the shed/TARDIS and binary/non-binary) fell completely flat as a result. Shouldn't Rose have been a bigger focus, or spent more time with the Doctor, if her experiences were going to matter so much later on?

I dunno. I enjoyed the first half, seeing Ten so perfectly recaptured by Tenant. But overall the episode didn't instil any confidence in me that RTD has grown as a writer of Doctor Who. All the same strengths, all the same failings, just wrapped up in a more current visual style.

Let's just hope some of that Disney money goes on better monster costumes. The Meep looked pretty great, but those bugs were absolutely terrible.

3 out of 5 

thr0b

It was weird seeing a great big Disney logo at the end of the credits, wunnit?

Kelvin

Quote from: gotmilk on November 25, 2023, 07:49:44 PMThe business with the judge's wig was especially lame.

It was more evidence that the modern 'Crime Drama' visual style they adopted under Chibnall is anathema to the broader comedy/performances associated with Doctor Who.

Pranet

Quote from: thr0b on November 25, 2023, 08:24:01 PMIt was weird seeing a great big Disney logo at the end of the credits, wunnit?

Yeah. That bought me up short a bit. Another thing privatised.

Another thing- I had problems hearing the dialogue. Which might be down to my tv and me being a bit deaf but normally I don't have this problem.

Quote from: Kelvin on November 25, 2023, 08:28:56 PMIt was more evidence that the modern 'Crime Drama' visual style they adopted under Chibnall is anathema to the broader comedy/performances associated with Doctor Who.

It was just a bit of admittedly rather forced wackiness.

Psybro

Quote from: Pranet on November 25, 2023, 08:38:31 PMYeah. That bought me up short a bit. Another thing privatised.

Another thing- I had problems hearing the dialogue. Which might be down to my tv and me being a bit deaf but normally I don't have this problem.
Yeah I only have the TV's internal speakers which apparently is the issue with this but I've been watching new stuff from Disney+ and Netflix with no issue.

Pranet

Quote from: Psybro on November 25, 2023, 08:42:09 PMYeah I only have the TV's internal speakers which apparently is the issue with this but I've been watching new stuff from Disney+ and Netflix with no issue.

Right, I also only have the internal tv speakers as well. Fucks sake. I might watch the rest of these on my fucking laptop.

Spiteface

Casting my memory back to 2005, after "Rose" had aired, and we saw Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor, I said on here something along the lines of coming away from it "thoroughly entertained" for the 45 minutes it was on.

That's how I felt at the end of this one. That's a win for me, as I hadn't felt that way for a long time about Doctor Who.

gotmilk

Quote from: Kelvin on November 25, 2023, 08:28:56 PMIt was more evidence that the modern 'Crime Drama' visual style they adopted under Chibnall is anathema to the broader comedy/performances associated with Doctor Who.

Interesting point. I had hoped that bringing back Rachel Talalay would bean a return to the style of her Capaldi episodes, but visually this was still reminiscent of the Chibnall era. Probably closest to the look of The Woman Who Fell to Earth, so definitely the Chibnall era at its best, but not what I'd have liked.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 25, 2023, 08:41:02 PMIt was just a bit of admittedly rather forced wackiness.

That's not what I was getting at. I'm saying that broader material like that doesn't work as well using the grittier visual language the show adopted under Chibnall. You don't shoot something like that with lots of wide shots in a big, gloomy car park. You shoot it close up, with quick cuts, so that the focus is on Tenant's performance, and the energy is kept high. The comedy of Doctor Who has suffered since the visuals took on a style more commonly associated with gritty prestige dramas.

Oh - and fuck knows why they set that scene in an empty car park (Answer: because it was cheap), rather than a makeshift court room, or some other location where Tenant could preside over the arguments more comically.

thr0b

Quote from: Pranet on November 25, 2023, 08:44:30 PMRight, I also only have the internal tv speakers as well. Fucks sake. I might watch the rest of these on my fucking laptop.

Sounded fine to me, but I'm listening via my old hifi. (Optical-out to phono converter box to aux input. Was simpler on the previous telly as I just used the headphone out with a 3.5mm to phono jack. Tsk.)

Watch with Bluetooth headphones otherwise.

Gulftastic

It was OK I suppose. I've never been as big a fan of Donna Noble as everyone else seems to be but it kept me watching.

Pranet

Quote from: thr0b on November 25, 2023, 08:52:14 PMSounded fine to me, but I'm listening via my old hifi. (Optical-out to phono converter box to aux input. Was simpler on the previous telly as I just used the headphone out with a 3.5mm to phono jack. Tsk.)

Watch with Bluetooth headphones otherwise.

How stupid of me to think I could watch just watch tv without plugging in extra gear.

As I find myself repeatedly saying, it is stupid that watching tv has become so complicated.

madhair60

BritishHobo

I think it's a great throwback to old New Who to not be able to hear the dialogue over the ridiculous soundtrack. Murray Gold is back with a vengeance, whack the subbies on and lower the volume to 2!

Ambient Sheep

Ooooh, I just jumped onto iPlayer to check some dialogue, and the episode's filed under a new heading:

Doctor Who (2023–)

so now we have three, with:

Doctor Who (1963-1996)

and just

Doctor Who (for the previous New Who episodes)

Possibly due to it now being a Disney co-production, which has worldwide distribution rights outside the UK (although since iPlayer is officially UK only, that shouldn't really matter)... to me that's a real declaration of intent!

Maybe the spin-offs will be grouped under it as well?

BritishHobo

I quite liked the way the episode teased us with Cribbins. First in making us think they had laid Wilf to rest, and then - with the UNIT stuff - offering the very tantalising possibility that there will still be a beautiful, beautiful reunion to come...

Midas

Jerzy Bondov

Everything I disliked about the first RTD era was in that episode. But I enjoyed it anyway.

How much of the Disney money was spent on Murray Gold's cocaine

Spiteface

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 25, 2023, 09:05:48 PMOoooh, I just jumped onto iPlayer to check some dialogue, and the episode's filed under a new heading:

Doctor Who (2023–)

so now we have three, with:

Doctor Who (1963-1996)

and just

Doctor Who (for the previous New Who episodes)

Possibly due to it now being a Disney co-production, which has worldwide distribution rights outside the UK (although since iPlayer is officially UK only, that shouldn't really matter)... to me that's a real declaration of intent!

Maybe the spin-offs will be grouped under it as well?

I like to use the same terminology that I use with Kamen Rider, which is according to Japanese imperial reigns.

Showa
Heisei
Reiwa

Joking aside, this lines up almost the same with Doctor Who as it does with Kamen Rider.

Pranet

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 25, 2023, 09:04:29 PMI think it's a great throwback to old New Who to not be able to hear the dialogue over the ridiculous soundtrack. Murray Gold is back with a vengeance, whack the subbies on and lower the volume at 2!

Seriously, I think I have had this problem with Doctor Who before.

Wish the cunts would sort it out.

thr0b

Quote from: Pranet on November 25, 2023, 08:58:09 PMHow stupid of me to think I could watch just watch tv without plugging in extra gear.

As I find myself repeatedly saying, it is stupid that watching tv has become so complicated.

Problem is, there's no room in TV's these days for decent speakers. Everyone wants their telly thinner than the last one. So you need to have external speakers to get decent sound.

Psybro

Quote from: thr0b on November 25, 2023, 08:52:14 PMWatch with Bluetooth headphones otherwise.
The BBC have succeeded in bringing back event TV the whole family can gather round with their matching headphones

Endicott

I started that episode wondering how I was going to put up with Tennant's gurning face and ridiculous quiff, and then some story took over and I forgot all about them. I really enjoyed it.

Definitely RTD in tone, nowhere near his worst but also not his best, but up there. I completely agree with a previous poster who compared their feelings about this to Rose, RTD's first episode, in that it got me invigorated with the series again. And after Chibs that's saying something.

Quote from: Kelvin on November 25, 2023, 08:49:19 PMThat's not what I was getting at. I'm saying that broader material like that doesn't work as well using the grittier visual language the show adopted under Chibnall. You don't shoot something like that with lots of wide shots in a big, gloomy car park. You shoot it close up, with quick cuts, so that the focus is on Tenant's performance, and the energy is kept high. The comedy of Doctor Who has suffered since the visuals took on a style more commonly associated with gritty prestige dramas.

Oh - and fuck knows why they set that scene in an empty car park (Answer: because it was cheap), rather than a makeshift court room, or some other location where Tenant could preside over the arguments more comically.

Having trudged through God knows how many prestige BBC dramas, I disagree. Tonight's episode didn't subscribe to that grammar, it looked quite like Moffat era Doctor Who. Which isn't a step backwards, as I happen to think Doctor Who's cinematography and direction was at its richest in those days.