Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Maher continues

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 18, 2024, 05:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 19, 2024, 07:04:16 PMHe's right. But he can still fuck off. And Norm's problem with him is also correct. He occupies a sort of halfway house between comedy and politics that doesn't seem to think it needs to be funny and usually isn't. (Same as HIGNFY after a few years). Toothless political criticism that probably helps these shithead politicians if anything.

Besides, his lectures on the wickedness of Republicans isn't being listened to by any Republicans. They don't care.

The bigger question here is TV political satire dead then? How would you suggest the likes of Maher, Hislop, Pie, Ianucci get more toothsome with their comment/comedy? 

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 19, 2024, 08:14:05 PMThe bigger question here is TV political satire dead then? How would you suggest the likes of Maher, Hislop, Pie, Ianucci get more toothsome with their comment/comedy? 

It probably doesn't make much difference but at least it can be funny. The only stuff I've any time for lately is the return of John Stewart but that's just my taste.

At least Stewart isn't a smug twat.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 19, 2024, 09:01:08 PMIt probably doesn't make much difference but at least it can be funny. The only stuff I've any time for lately is the return of John Stewart but that's just my taste.

At least Stewart isn't a smug twat.

I bet those Republicans who don't care what these satirists think of them think he is though.

Funcrusher

Quote from: KennyMonster on March 19, 2024, 12:37:42 PMThat is is right-wing, he is right-wing, centrists are right-wing.

This.

McChesney Duntz

Apparently a gentleman who actually used to be funny just guested on Maher's podcast. Which I won't be watching even more than I haven't watched its previous episodes. Credit to JC, at least, for managing to be forehead-slappingly embarrassing in a, ahem, completely different way than I expected...

https://www.cracked.com/article_41527_john-cleese-says-hes-been-contacted-by-ghost-of-graham-chapman.html

Sebastian Cobb

christ you couldn't pay me to watch that

Scrapey Fish

Maher's show stood out at a time when there was a plethora of quickfire Daily Show style shows but nothing offering more in depth discussion (while still being quite funny). He would also do interviews with experts on subjects like veganism which no one was really doing at the time.

Unfortunately there was a point when his condescending attitude towards women on the show and his insistence that all Muslims be tarred with the extremist brush meant I couldn't watch anymore

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 20, 2024, 10:12:24 PMApparently a gentleman who actually used to be funny just guested on Maher's podcast. Which I won't be watching even more than I haven't watched its previous episodes. Credit to JC, at least, for managing to be forehead-slappingly embarrassing in a, ahem, completely different way than I expected...

https://www.cracked.com/article_41527_john-cleese-says-hes-been-contacted-by-ghost-of-graham-chapman.html

Yeah, I read about that on a forum recently https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=107427.msg5555348#msg5555348
(Just busting your goddamned testicles, McChesney.)

I did laugh at Maher's story about George Wallace's heckler though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9Deam6daU&t=1747s
I work alongside a lot of people like that.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: LordMorgan on March 18, 2024, 09:05:23 PMHe's an Islamophobic IDF apologist

It's a no from me

He isn't even one of those liberal Zionist morons who think all the bad things about Israel (that they can't really blame on Palestinians) begin and end with Netanyahu; Maher actually had Netanyahu on his show for a nauseatingly fawning interview.

I will give Maher credit, though, not for having Milo Yiannopoulos on his show, but for calling him "a young, gay, alive Christopher Hitchens", which confronts Hitchens's ostensibly non-right-wing fans with the fact that Hitchens's schtick absolutely did give rise to performatively argumentative, "un-PC" far-right self-promoters like Milo.

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 19, 2024, 06:31:33 PMthe weirdness of Dreyfuss slowly sinking in his chair as the interview progresses, which Maher never addresses once.

Reminded me of Fry & Laurie's critics

Oosp

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to bill maher"