Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Wow! Would have put money on this being months away. Back of the goal!

frajer

Mere weeks away! Beautiful news. I know it divided opinion but I loved the first run. Also rewatched Scissored Isle recently and liked it even more than the first time round. I find latter day Alan just a joy to witness in any form.

BeardFaceMan

Looking forward to this. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of historical Partidge special too?

Holy shit I've just realised that 30 April is two weeks on Friday.

An tSaoi

Glebe

greencalx

How do they pull off that uncomfortably-close look? (Remind me, didn't Jennie walk out during the first series?)

lipsink

Wow, I'm really looking forward to this. The first series, while a little inconsistent, had some great moments. Is this gonna be set during Covid?

Quote from: greencalx on April 14, 2021, 07:07:40 PM
How do they pull off that uncomfortably-close look? (Remind me, didn't Jennie walk out during the first series?)

Yeah didn't she catch him bitching about her at the start of the last episode? I'm sure they'll address it.

darth andy

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 14, 2021, 05:43:30 PM
Coogan starting to look actually old.

about ten years until he overtakes IAP S2 AP

DrGreggles

I hope I'm looking as old as Coogan in about 10 years time...

Captain Z

Weary old Coogan's really starting to look his age...

JamesTC

Ferris

Quote from: greencalx on April 14, 2021, 07:07:40 PM

She did - the big finale was an unseen bust-up in the director-general's office.

It would be bonkers for them not to address that.

VelourSpirit

WHAT
I thought this was about a year away, didn't know they'd even filmed it. I just looked it up and series 1 was TWO years ago? I would have sworn blind it was early last year.

Ferris

Quote from: TwinPeaks on April 15, 2021, 12:41:08 AM
WHAT
I thought this was about a year away, didn't know they'd even filmed it. I just looked it up and series 1 was TWO years ago? I would have sworn blind it was early last year.

I've started adding +1 year to any estimate of time on the basis that 2020 happened but I have no memories to show for it.

paruses

This thread is a disgrace. Not one post soley with the word "Dan" written over and over.

Really happy about this and amazed at the timescale. Susanah Fielding was in that ITV detective thing that I watched recently and it drove me mad trying to remember where I knew her from - she kept doing the pursed-mouth quizzical look and my brain just couldn't latch onto it.

Here's a Chortle article about it. Only one Gibbons is mentioned. Don't know if that means anything.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/04/14/48215/when_is_alan_partridge_coming_back%3f

purlieu

Interestingly, I've just started a marathon Partridge re-run - finished the radio KMKYWAP last night - which will probably be finishing around the end of the month, so this is marvellous news and timing.

buttgammon

Lynn wears a coat that was advertised under the words 'strong coat for sale'.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 14, 2021, 11:51:35 PM
She did - the big finale was an unseen bust-up in the director-general's office.

It would be bonkers for them not to address that.

I actually watched that episode last night to refresh my memory - surely they're going to do something?

Although I wasn't huge on the first series at the time, I enjoyed it much more on rewatching, and this is definitely something to look forward to.

BeardFaceMan

Butchers Blind

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Excellent.

This Time s1 was overall unsuccessful, a mystifyingly hollow centre with funny things interspersed around, or occasionally puncturing it, but there's always the chance they have learned what worked best and what didn't.

If Episode 1 is exactly how they left off I will be so disappointed. Sadly, I have a vague feeling of dread given the BBC's track record the past 15 years.

sevendaughters

my general theory of Partridge is that second series weaken from the first: IAP, MMM, I, Partridge to Nomad. Hope to be proven incorrect, but I did like the first series.

frajer

It's really interesting to read people's criticisms on the first series because I thought by and large they nailed it.

Maybe it's because I've only ever seen clips of The One Show and its ilk, and the details may not be accurate to modern magazine shows, but it feels like they really captured the bland topics and forced intimacy of those shows.

It's a fair to wonder "who's filming that?" or "why would they leave those bits in?" because of course they wouldn't, but I enjoyed the characterisations, the tone and the jokes so much that I never questioned it. I suppose they're the sort of flaws that you notice if you're not engaging with something (which again, is completely fair).

backdrifter

Quote from: frajer on April 15, 2021, 10:54:33 AM
It's really interesting to read people's criticisms on the first series because I thought by and large they nailed it.

Agreed.

Quote from: frajer on April 15, 2021, 10:54:33 AM
It's a fair to wonder "who's filming that?" or "why would they leave those bits in?" because of course they wouldn't, but I enjoyed the characterisations, the tone and the jokes so much that I never questioned it. I suppose they're the sort of flaws that you notice if you're not engaging with something (which again, is completely fair).

Pretty sure its pretending to be live.

jobotic

Yes but there's pre-recorded bits, like in the real One Show. And they kept "Alan you wanker" in it.

I don't care , I thought it was funny, but its not realistic.

kalowski

It was moderately funny, but miles away from From the Oasthouse. It made me laugh but there were too many "why did they keep that in?" moments which were evidence of trying too hard.
However, the moment involving my avatar was inspired and exactly the kind of thing that could happen on live TV. "Who the hell is dat?"

pigamus

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm sure the funny bits will outweigh any longeurs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI thought by and large they nailed it.

You thought all those bits where the pace, energy and atmosphere deflated like air slowly escaping from a balloon really executed peak comedy enjoyment?

frajer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 15, 2021, 11:39:08 AM
You thought all those bits where the pace, energy and atmosphere deflated like air slowly escaping from a balloon really executed peak comedy enjoyment?

Yeah I liked it a lot. Didn't notice any flagging pace or low energy myself. The airless atmosphere is an interesting criticism, I thought it added to the awkwardness and just how much of a bad fit Alan was for the show.