Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

Blumf

I think Family Guy did a better hipster episode.

I didn't say 'good'!

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on November 04, 2021, 09:18:03 PM
Ahhh, I love this children's cartoon with references they will understand

In fairness, the show did an episode about Bart becoming the doorman for a burlesque theatre-cum-cathouse many years ago. The important difference, of course, being that Bart After Dark was good.

JamesTC

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 05, 2021, 12:29:24 PM
In fairness, the show did an episode about Bart becoming the doorman for a burlesque theatre-cum-cathouse many years ago. The important difference, of course, being that Bart After Dark was good.

And that wasn't an all ages burlesque show! The insinuation I got from the line was rather sinister.

neov1974

one of the worst episodes = one of the best write ups, bravo

JamesTC

Saw this on Twitter before:

Quote from: TwitterThe new #TheSimpsons episode "A Serious Flanders" has the highest IMDB score since season 27's "Barthood." I said they were on a roll but damn, now they're just straight up rolling over all the haters without mercy.

The highest scored episode since Season 27. What an honour.

Wezzo

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 03, 2021, 09:44:45 PM
Unless it's my imagination, since Sky rebranded all their channels they seem to be showing less Simpsons. Is there an index showing how much Simpsons is broadcast each week? Surely it has peaked?

For my sins, I maintain the Simpsons UK schedule guide at the Simpsons Archive website (and have done for - gulp - seventeen years), and I can confirm that there's not really been a marked decrease - they're still generally showing it 4x per weekday and between 5x and 9x per weekend day, but it is true that the weekends - Saturdays in particular - are often relegated to mornings and it's less a feature of Saturday primetime than it has been in a while. But the total number of broadcasts is basically flat.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: A Serious Flanders synopsis
"When a ruthless debt collector comes to Springfield, Homer and Ned's lives are sucked into the artfully violent world of prestige TV."
Part 1 of 2.

Quote from: The Simpsons WikiaThis episode is considered non-canon and the events featured do not relate to the series and therefore may not have actually happened/existed

Thursday

Wezzo! I remember that name from the glory days of nohomers.net

JamesTC

Season 24 - Episode 8 - To Cur with Love

Burns is forced to give out a million dollar stipend for the best idea for alternative energy as punishment for billions of dollars of environmental damage. Otto suggests slavery. Apu provides perpetual motion through the form of hot dogs continuing to roll after being unplugged. Frink has some sort of sound powered car which overpowers due to gasps from the audience and crashes into the retirement home. Grandpa moves into the Simpson home which is the plot of a previous episode.

The family are preparing to get all of Grandpa's stuff, but Homer hurts his back reaching down for his lifting belt. Homer needs to stay at home. Homer is pissing about on his Mapple MyPad while Santa's Little Helper wants to go for a walk. Homer becomes obsessed with Villageville and plays it all day. The family return home and Santa's Little Helper is missing which is the plot of a previous episode.

It is revealed that Homer doesn't care about Santa's Little Helper. The family hear a whining and find that Santa's Little Helper was stuck in a kitchen cabinet. Homer remembers accidentally trapping him in there while drinking some cheese flavoured window cleaner. Homer reveals he just isn't a dog person. Grandpa mentions "Bongo" and Homer runs away crying. Bongo was Homer's childhood dog.

Flashback to Homer growing up with the dog. At the opening of the power plant, Burns is giving away toys to all the kids. Homer tries to give his to Bongo but Burns grabs him and tells him it is a people toy, so Bongo bites Burns. Homer runs away with Bongo. Burns swears to kill the dog but is reminded by Smithers Snr that he is at a PR event, so he brings out Krusty. Krusty has no clean material so just asks for them to send out the monkey and a giant gorilla walks into shot and starts attacking Krusty. Fair play, that was a genuine belly laugh.

Burns has released a dog catcher (Wiggum) to bring Bongo in. Grandpa arrives just before the Wiggum and a chase begins. The Wiggum knocks off the arm off that one-armed bloke. The one-armed man is called Herman Hermann, if you were wondering. Herman Hermann has written an autobiography. As has Nelson. As has Groudskeeper Willie. As has Dr Hibbert. Wiggum drives past a sausage factory and crashes the van by sniffing sausages out of the window. A young Lou is also in the van with Wiggum and he inspires Wiggum to call his son Ralph. Grandpa drives out to the country, where they have an old neighbour who they leave Bongo with. Grandpa tells Homer to leave an old jumper with Bongo. Burns confronts Grandpa and they come to an agreement where Grandpa takes care of Burns' hounds for a year. Burns also insists that Grandpa always wear slippers and a bolo tie from this point onwards.

Homer remembers the story differently. He remembers that Grandpa hated Bongo so sold him to a wicked witch that breathes fire. Grandpa also hangs out with rich dogs and kidnaps Santa. Homer then remembers that a few months later he went to rescue Bongo. Homer saw Bongo happy with his new owner. Homer reveals that this made him believe that dogs are disloyal. Grandpa passes Homer a Christmas card he received a few years later which shows Bongo sleeping on Homer's old jumper. Homer apologises to Grandpa. Later in the evening, Homer is asleep on the couch with Grandpa and he is cuddling Santa's Little Helper. Homer dreams he is walking Santa's Little Helper while a young Homer plays with Bongo.

4/10 - There was so much bad about this yet somehow they managed to make the ending a little touching, so I will credit them that.

Wezzo

Quote from: Thursday on November 09, 2021, 09:28:03 PM
Wezzo! I remember that name from the glory days of nohomers.net

Ha, yes, the very same! That was my first regular online haunt, back when I was about 12 years old.. remarkable the place is still even slightly active (but then I suppose it's also remarkable that any fucker is still compiling Simpsons UK broadcast information in the year 2021, but here I am)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: JamesTC on November 09, 2021, 09:32:49 PM
Season 24 - Episode 8 - To Cur with Love
oh good they're shitting on the very first ever episode where Homer adopted Santa's Little Helper because a loser recognises a loser

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 09, 2021, 09:45:52 PM
oh good they're shitting on the very first ever episode where Homer adopted Santa's Little Helper because a loser recognises a loser

Plus it was a just a poundland Jurassic Bark. But by their own low standards, they managed something.

If you can believe it, they do another sad dog episode 8 seasons later. I can't wait for that one.

neov1974

James TC we need a version of that infographic up there with your ratings :)

JamesTC

Quote from: neov1974 on November 10, 2021, 09:55:49 AM
James TC we need a version of that infographic up there with your ratings :)

I could probably knock that up together. But I think whilst it would show a steep decline, I feel I was VERY harsh on the first 12 seasons or so when I rated them. My thinking at the time was that an average Simpsons episode should be 5/10 but I had only seen 5 or 6 seasons of the bad era to drag the average down. These days I wouldn't be so selective about dishing out an 8 or 9 out of ten.

JamesTC

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on November 10, 2021, 01:45:26 PM
Homer at the Bat not a 10?

I bet it'd be a 9 if I rewatched it now. Wouldn't quite put it at 10.

As I say, loads would be higher in the early years now if I rewatched.

idunnosomename

Is "regular" relative to the season it's in? Because doesnt really make sense as a descriptor of quality

neov1974

oh my god I was half joking but bravo

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 10, 2021, 02:04:56 PM
Is "regular" relative to the season it's in? Because doesnt really make sense as a descriptor of quality

I try and rate them relative to the show as a whole.

That is probably part of the problem in watching loads of a certain season. You have a baseline view of The Simpsons that is inevitably influenced by how good or bad the season is. The great episodes don't stand out in a season of greatness whereas the passable episodes do in a terrible season.

ASFTSN

Quote from: JamesTC on November 10, 2021, 01:32:32 PM

Curious about that Series 15, Episode 9 high rating. I've never seen that one, what made it stand out from the ordure?

JamesTC

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 10, 2021, 04:18:10 PM
Curious about that Series 15, Episode 9 high rating. I've never seen that one, what made it stand out from the ordure?

It doesn't seem that highly rated on IMDB so it might just be nostalgia. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-Bot is just a great Homer/Bart episode despite lots of wackiness. The Lisa B-plot isn't much cop.

Blumf

Have to admit, I though I, (Annoyed Grunt)-Bot was around S10. It is a good episode, even the Lisa B-plot is serviceable, with an interesting idea.

The Mollusk

Wait a minute

Quote from: JamesTC on October 31, 2021, 08:54:57 PM
Season 24 - Episode 5 - Penny-Wiseguys

Lunch lady Doris offers Lisa some food, but it turns out to be beetle mush. Lisa is conflicted because she promised Paul McCartny that she wouldn't eat meat.
Quotebeetle
QuotePaul McCartney

Is... is that meant to be a joke

JamesTC

Hey, they have a new Disney+ special!

The Simpsons in Plusaversary

Homer is not invited to the Disney Plus party at Moe's. Goofy is sad he doesn't have a plus one so Homer gets to go in with him. Moe thinks Daffy Duck is choking, so Barney gives him the heimlich manoeuvre. Goofy is drinking with Homer and is sad. Homer doesn't know if Goofy is a cow or a dog. Happy is grumpy with Grumpy, so Lisa comes in and suggests they all cheer up with a good old Disney song. Lisa sings an advert for Disney+. Mr Burns is a Disney+ stockholder. Everybody thinks "the boss" is about to arrive, but it turns out to be Bart dressed as Mickey. Bart tells everybody to get back to work and then tells Goofy to come with him. Goofy tells Homer he wishes he were his sidekick, but Barney says Homer is his and drags him away.

It was shit. I did like this picture in the end credits:

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: JamesTC on November 12, 2021, 09:34:08 PM
Lisa sings an advert for Disney+. Mr Burns is a Disney+ stockholder. Everybody thinks "the boss" is about to arrive, but it turns out to be Bart dressed as Mickey. Bart tells everybody to get back to work and then tells Goofy to come with him. Goofy tells Homer he wishes he were his sidekick, but Barney says Homer is his and drags him away.

It was shit. I did like this picture in the end credits:

I do like that picture as well, but...I couldn't resist isolating those few lines of your review. What is this random, plotless shit? It feels depressingly like the disjointed ramblings of some poor sod in the throes of Alzheimers.

Quote from: JamesTC on June 13, 2021, 08:24:20 PM
Season 22 - Episode 11 - Flaming Moe

Homer, Lenny and Carl have a fight with the night shift at the plant. Burns signs his last will and testament and Smithers sneaks a look. Smithers is enraged to be left out of the will. Burns tells him he doesn't respect him and will never see him as his equal. Smithers is sad so he goes to a gay bar (The League of Extra Horny Gentlemen) but they don't let him in because of the way he dresses so he goes to Moe's instead. Smithers comes up with the idea of turning Moe's into a gay bar which is the plot of the episode.

Moe's is now called Mo's and is a gay bar that accepts anybody. Homer, Lenny and Carl turn up and are freaked out by the atmosphere and by a guy washing his hands. Moe references previous redecorations of the bar which I guess means it is okay that they are repeating a storyline. Lisa's music teacher is quitting his job because he met his soulmate at Mo's and they get a new music teacher called Calliope Juniper. Comic Book Guy's cousin is at Mo's and he is called Comic Book Gay. Patty (or Selma, I can't remember which is the gay one) and Marge are at Mo's with Homer and are mistaken for men. Moe gets hit on by some of the guys there. Moe goes to clarify that he isn't gay but then he realises he will lose money so just does a dance instead.

Skinner falls in love with the new music teacher. Smithers brings Burns to Mo's who is impressed by it and says he has earned his respect. One gay guy suggests Smithers wants a lemon party and Burns is excited by the prospect of "a good old-fashioned lemon party". Smithers notices Moe playing along with flirting and is annoyed that he is making out that he is gay. Skinner asks Bart if he will date the music teacher's daughter so Skinner can double-date.

Moe is asked to run for the city council by the guys at the bar so they have gay representation and Smithers is annoyed he is still pretending to be gay. Bart breaks up with the music teacher's daughter. The music teacher is leaving town because her daughter is so sad so Skinner decides to leave with her. Groundskeeper Willy is the new principal. Moe is running for election but Smithers tries to out him as a straight. Smithers tells him to kiss him but Moe doesn't want to and reveals he is straight. The crowd all leave and don't know who to vote for now. Moe then kisses Smithers for some reason. Skinner returns for some reason. Credits roll.

3/10 - The B-plot was vapid and might as well have not been there. The A plot was surprising in how it wasn't as offensive as I thought it would be. Over the past ten seasons the show has been pretty regressive in attitudes, so I guess that is a positive.

This was on Channel 4 today

Good bits:
*the night shift opening, and sound track.
*the line about the pretzels being a trompe-l'œil. oh, and the first aid kit.
*Whiskey A-Moe-Moe. "I think that was a dream"
*"I'm dating one of your mothers, I err forget which one"
*"drum roll please"

I mean, it's no Flaming Moe's but ... it was't awful

JamesTC

Bad Ambassador

Recalled an exchange from Kamp Krusty.

"Bart, I feel like I'm gonna die."
"We're all gonna die, Lis."
"I meant soon."
"So did I."