Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob question

Started by Jerzy Bondov, November 22, 2021, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Is there a rule for when it's Reeves & Mortimer and when it's Vic & Bob? Smell Of and Bang Bang are R&M, but Afternoon Delights and the BBC Big Night Out are V&B. Who decides? I'd say they are equally well known under both names.

The only other double act I can think of where their first names are as well known as their surnames is Morecambe & Wise/Eric & Ernie.

Dunno

olliebean

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 22, 2021, 11:59:18 AMThe only other double act I can think of where their first names are as well known as their surnames is Morecambe & Wise/Eric & Ernie.

Ant & Dec
Trevor & Simon
Stan & Ollie
Terrance & Phillip

Jerzy Bondov

I'll give you Stan & Ollie/Laurel & Hardy but nobody is sitting around going did you see the new McPartlin & Donnelly thing on ITV

DrGreggles

Jerzy Bondov

Laughing my fucking arse off last night watching Gareth & Norman

Tony Yeboah

It was Vic Reeves, then Reeves and Mortimer, then Vic and Bob. Possibly.

I would say it shifted chronologically once they became an established duo and then they became well known enough to use the snappier Vic and Bob.

thenoise

I think Reeves & Mortimer are when they are pretending to be light entertainers, Vic & Bob are them titting about.

the science eel

No Xmas BNO again this year then eh?

I'm sad about that. I think they're drifting apart

PaulTMA

I remember people referring to them as Vic & Bob before they made a series with Reeves & Mortimer in its name.  Obviously they had the 'Reeves & Mortimer' products in Big Night Out which would have introduced it as brand of sorts

SpiderChrist

Quote from: the science eel on November 22, 2021, 01:40:07 PMNo Xmas BNO again this year then eh?

I thought Jim Moir had retired the Vic Reeves persona, but I may have dreamt it.

thr0b

Quote from: the science eel on November 22, 2021, 01:40:07 PMNo Xmas BNO again this year then eh?

BBC Four doesn't produce new stuff anymore. So unless BBC Two want them, we're probably not going to get much new Vic & Bob stuff now.

thr0b

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 22, 2021, 03:06:49 PMI thought Jim Moir had retired the Vic Reeves persona, but I may have dreamt it.

He's Vic when working with Bob, but yes, he's pretty much entirely back to being Jim these days.

thenoise

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 22, 2021, 03:06:49 PMI thought Jim Moir had retired the Vic Reeves persona, but I may have dreamt it.

I don't know why he is Jim not Vic on the podcast he does with boogie woogie Jools Holland.

His art has always been by Jim Moir hasn't it? Aside from a few art books.

Alberon

I read an interview with Mortimer recently (about And Away) and while he really enjoyed the Vic and Bob BNOs it did seem very firmly that he was talking about them in the past tense.

PaulTMA

The pompous, increasingly pantomime villain-like 'Vic Reeves' character from the original BNO didn't really exist after then, did he not?  From Smell Of...onwards, 'Vic' was usually just plain daft.  I guess retiring the name at the point didn't really appear to be a smart option

EggsLikeABird

If you ever go back and watch those early Shooting Stars, watch out for at least once an episode Bob simply calls him "Jim."

Jerzy Bondov

Just consulted the mug I got from their last tour and it says Reeves and Mortimer on one side and Vic and Bob on the other. Not helpful. It also doesn't say if you can put it in the dishwasher. I asked Bob on Twitter but didn't get a reply so I blocked him

the science eel

Quote from: Alberon on November 22, 2021, 03:21:53 PMI read an interview with Mortimer recently (about And Away) and while he really enjoyed the Vic and Bob BNOs it did seem very firmly that he was talking about them in the past tense.

This is AWFUL news! The greatest comedy partnership of our generation is over!

Why aren't people crying pools and writing letters? you heartless BASTARDS

The Bumlord

Nah they're doing that Michael Jackson's glove film which is definitely happening.

SteveDave

Quote from: the science eel on November 25, 2021, 08:28:38 AMThis is AWFUL news! The greatest comedy partnership of our generation is over!

Why aren't people crying pools and writing letters? you heartless BASTARDS

Because the general public enjoy watching him fishing with that thin cockney now. Gentle comedy. So gentle.

Catalogue Trousers

Never mind all that, the burning R & M related question is, who were the dancers who did the Cool Cool Air routine with them? One of my favourites of their musical numbers, and the dancers added a lot to it.

Tom Fun

I'm pretty sure it's just 'Vic & Bob' or 'Reeves & Mortimer' - whichever scans better.

Mr Reeves said recently (I think it's on Adam Buxton's podcast) that he's retired from doing television now.

He's on tour with Jools Holland at the moment singing his 1990s hit singles ;)

The Glove is coming soon... hopefully & then I'd forgive him if he just wants to have a little lie down.

I think they'll pop up now & then but just doing odds & sods that they want to do when they fancy it. They've already done just about everything fathomable & had an extraordinary career.

the Fallen

Quote from: thenoise on November 22, 2021, 12:58:42 PMI think Reeves & Mortimer are when they are pretending to be light entertainers, Vic & Bob are them titting about.

ishantbekeepingit

Confusingly, on the Hootenanny he was credited as Vic Reeves, even though Jools Holland kept referring to him as Jim Moir.

the science eel

It was a terrible scene indeed.

RIP 'Vic and Bob'

poodlefaker

I've always felt he's wanted to be billed as Jim Moir for ages (since The Weekenders) but TV execs have insisted on his being Vic Reeves and he's been forced to capitulate. If so, this is a breakthrough: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00111n6

zomgmouse

TheMonk

I love Vic and Bob but don't find the search for Michael Jackson's glove a very funny idea. I'm in the 'convinced he was a predator' camp and have had no interest in anything he's done since coming to that conclusion. Unsavoury fella who I'd rather not think about while watching two of my favourites.

Captain Z

From now on they want to be referred to as Moirtimer.