Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia ~ Season 15

Started by Mobius, November 04, 2021, 03:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

They've just announced the new Sunny will air on December 1st 2021, so not too far out

Only 8 episodes this time around, and the first 2 will be released together.

SpiderChrist

I made it to the start of season 12, but the first episode was fucking awful (I switched off as soon as they started singing). Should I persist? The end of season 11 seemed like a good place to stop.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mobius on November 04, 2021, 03:10:41 AMThey've just announced the new Sunny will air on December 1st 2021, so not too far out

Only 8 episodes this time around, and the first 2 will be released together.

Only 8? That's a shame. Although the last couple of seasons were probably the most patchy ones yet there were still some absolute gems in there.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 04, 2021, 08:05:00 AMI made it to the start of season 12, but the first episode was fucking awful (I switched off as soon as they started singing). Should I persist? The end of season 11 seemed like a good place to stop.

Absolutely carry on. The musical episode was just a one off and there's still some great episodes to come. Plus, the end of season 12 is even better a finishing point if you're finding yourself fatigued with the show (but again, you'll miss some great episodes after that).

JamesTC

The first two episodes of Season 12 are two of my favourites.

g0m

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 04, 2021, 08:05:00 AM
I made it to the start of season 12, but the first episode was fucking awful (I switched off as soon as they started singing). Should I persist? The end of season 11 seemed like a good place to stop.

Hero or Hate Crime [episode 6] is a top 10 all time episode for me, at least.

SpiderChrist

Thanks all. Maybe I need to watch something else and come back to Philly at a later date.

BeardFaceMan

They can still knock out some classics so a new season is always a good thing but they knock out far more duff episodes these days too. The musical episode, the superbowl episodes, the crime noir episode, all episodes I skip on a rewatch now. Maybe it was to do with some Community writers coming on board, when did that happen? They do a lot more high-concept episodes now, they're the ones that usually don't work for me. I mean, they did them in the past like with the Liberty Bell episode but they seem a lot more frequent now and a lot less funny. Fair play to them for wanting to do something a bit different and not get bored with it so I think it's worth a musical episode to get an episode like Hero or Hate Crime.

shlug

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 04, 2021, 01:56:47 PM
They can still knock out some classics so a new season is always a good thing but they knock out far more duff episodes these days too. The musical episode, the superbowl episodes, the crime noir episode, all episodes I skip on a rewatch now. Maybe it was to do with some Community writers coming on board, when did that happen? They do a lot more high-concept episodes now, they're the ones that usually don't work for me. I mean, they did them in the past like with the Liberty Bell episode but they seem a lot more frequent now and a lot less funny. Fair play to them for wanting to do something a bit different and not get bored with it so I think it's worth a musical episode to get an episode like Hero or Hate Crime.

I wasn't aware that Community's writers had joined the IASIP writing team but now it's incredibly telling with the recent episodes.

neveragain

I'll stand up for the Turns Black episode but the more outright parodies can feel out of place (except the 80's skiing film one, that was great).

Mobius

Episode titles have been released, if anyone is curious

Spoiler alert
Ep. 1 "2020: A Year In Review"
Ep. 2 "The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 7"
Ep. 3 "The Gang Buys a Roller Rink"
Ep. 4 "The Gang Replaces Dee With a Monkey
Ep. 5 "The Gang Goes to Ireland"
Ep. 6 "The Gang's Still in Ireland"
Ep. 7 "Dee Sings in a Bog"
Ep. 8 "The Gang Carries a Corpse Up a Mountain"
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Very much looking forward to the Ireland episodes.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 10, 2021, 11:03:00 PM
Very much looking forward to the Ireland episodes.

Looks like a guest appearance from
Spoiler alert
Colm Meaney
[close]
in the trailer. Lovely stuff.

https://twitter.com/alwayssunny/status/1458511215844491264?s=21

Ant Farm Keyboard

Ep. 2 will be interesting, given that "5" and "6" have been taken out of syndication and streaming for being offensive.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 11, 2021, 02:55:56 PM
Ep. 2 will be interesting, given that "5" and "6" have been taken out of syndication and streaming for being offensive.

I suspect that's what the episode will be about.

AngryGazelle

The last two seasons have had a few duds (Boggs 2, Charlie Home Alone, Big game, Clip Show) but also some absolute classics (Times Up, New Wheels) but mostly, for me at least have been a lot of 6 or 7 out of ten episodes.

That said I'm still excited for this - I just hope the general quality of each episode it a touch higher - maybe only doing 8 will help with that.

Cuellar

QuoteThe Irish stuff looks pretty bad

It looks like Charlie and Mac were greenscreened into that library...

BeardFaceMan

The 3 chaps are doing a podcast too, only a trailer has dropped so far, it looks like it's being released to coincide with the new series so I don't know if it's just going to be talking about the ep that just aired or if they'll talk about past seasons too. Should be a good listen either way.

Bernice

While I agree that a lot of the recent (past 5 or so seasons?) high-concept stuff doesn't land as well as it might, it does seem like an intentional move to prolong the longevity of the show by constantly testing its limits. There's a real sweet spot of 'gang does a scheme' type episodes around seasons 2-7 or so that are generally fantastic and will almost certainly remain the golden age, but you could feel the format tiring, especially as the show found there were no darker or more depraved spaces left to explore.

I also find that new episodes I'm not that keen on are much better on a rewatch - the skiing and waterpark episodes spring to mind. There was a time when I got a bit sick of the show
And felt like it wasn't living up to past glories. But now it has that feel of an old TV friend that you're just happy to see still going and are delighted when it still manages to surprise.

Basically I think the direction they've taken it might make it more hit and miss, but prevents it from becoming a zombie Simpsons type fiasco.

Mobius

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 18, 2021, 01:48:12 PMThe 3 chaps are doing a podcast too, only a trailer has dropped so far, it looks like it's being released to coincide with the new series so I don't know if it's just going to be talking about the ep that just aired or if they'll talk about past seasons too. Should be a good listen either way.

The first 3 episodes are on Spotify now. I'm a few minutes in but yeah, they're watching an episode and commenting on it.

The first episode is about "The Gang Gets Racist" and they pretty much start with "I think our hearts were in the right places but..." so seems fairly open discussion. I'm enjoying it.

Edit - listened to all 3, good stuff. Chat about the episodes, few jokes and laughs and 'making of' tidbits. Easy listen and very enjoyable.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mobius on November 19, 2021, 12:06:45 AMThe first 3 episodes are on Spotify now. I'm a few minutes in but yeah, they're watching an episode and commenting on it.

The first episode is about "The Gang Gets Racist" and they pretty much start with "I think our hearts were in the right places but..." so seems fairly open discussion. I'm enjoying it.

Edit - listened to all 3, good stuff. Chat about the episodes, few jokes and laughs and 'making of' tidbits. Easy listen and very enjoyable.
Sold! Not that I needed much convincing to be fair. Gonna listen to all these while I work today.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Bernice on November 18, 2021, 07:02:12 PMWhile I agree that a lot of the recent (past 5 or so seasons?) high-concept stuff doesn't land as well as it might, it does seem like an intentional move to prolong the longevity of the show by constantly testing its limits. There's a real sweet spot of 'gang does a scheme' type episodes around seasons 2-7 or so that are generally fantastic and will almost certainly remain the golden age, but you could feel the format tiring, especially as the show found there were no darker or more depraved spaces left to explore.

I also find that new episodes I'm not that keen on are much better on a rewatch - the skiing and waterpark episodes spring to mind. There was a time when I got a bit sick of the show
And felt like it wasn't living up to past glories. But now it has that feel of an old TV friend that you're just happy to see still going and are delighted when it still manages to surprise.

Basically I think the direction they've taken it might make it more hit and miss, but prevents it from becoming a zombie Simpsons type fiasco.

I think you make some really good points here, when the high concepts stuff lands it's great!

The show is brilliant and hasn't had a significant decline in quality yet - in fact I probably watch seasons 7-12 the most (I would say 14 is the only season without a standout episode).

I do feel that 13 and 14 carry some of the weakest material yet, though, and I really hope that 15 is as consistently good as I found season 12 to be.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mobius on November 19, 2021, 12:06:45 AMThe first 3 episodes are on Spotify now. I'm a few minutes in but yeah, they're watching an episode and commenting on it.

I liked the little cigarette adverts from Charlie. Can't believe they were seriously considering calling the show 'Jerks' though, Sunny.. isn't a great title but it's miles ahead of that.

AsparagusTrevor

I listened to all three on Friday. I enjoyed what I heard, they're entertaining guys to just hear shoot the shit.

Spotify's just told me the fourth one has now been uploaded.

The Giggling Bean

What's the best place to watch the new episodes after they air these days?

AsparagusTrevor

There probably won't be anywhere legal, in the UK anyway. In the US Hulu will be streaming them. Eventually the whole season will make its way onto Netflix a few months later like previous seasons. I'm sure most of us here will be sailing the high seas to get them.

Shame Disney+ hasn't got them like other FX shows.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The show has been an hard sell on foreign countries. Only the first two seasons were shown in France at the beginning for instance, and I'm not sure that we got anything beyond the fifth season when it was on Netflix.

However, the show is now part of the Disney+ offering in France, but once again limited to the first two seasons (either because they'll be adding more seasons with time or because there are no dubs beyond these ones).

Most still airing FX shows, such as American Horror Story, Archer or What We Do in the Shadows, have ongoing deals that allow the current foreign broadcaster to exercise an option on the rights to more seasons without having to renegotiate much. But these contracts were started when FX wasn't part of Disney. For new shows, or shows that have never developed an audience outside the US, the Star portal on Disney+ seems to be the way to go, and old seasons of IASIP will probably reach it in the UK at some point.

Dog Botherer

my irish family aren't into it at all, but almost everyone i know in the US between the ages of ~25-~40 loves it.

it's also popular in Russia for some reason.

AsparagusTrevor

Before covid fucked everything, there was an Always Sunny quiz night hosted at The Leadmill club in Sheffield. I don't know how long it ran for or if it was just a one-off, I never got the chance to go myself.

Noodle Lizard

Always looking forward to new Always Sunny, though I agree with the comments suggesting there's been a slump lately (I don't think I could recall a single episode from the last season if asked). Since they all have other ongoing projects, perhaps their minds have been more on those than Sunny.

I also only just realised how many episodes aren't written by any of them. Even very famous ones like The D.E.N.N.I.S. System or Lethal Weapon 6. I knew they'd brought in well-known guest writers occasionally (like that not-very-good episode by the Game Of Thrones writers), but I didn't know they'd been using other writers regularly since season 3!