Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 29, 2021, 07:39:52 PMI'm bored as fuck with crisps at the moment. I have a Tesco and 2 little shops by me, but all they sell is the normal stuff. Bobby's Snacks appear to be the main non-big brand brand, but they're meh.

I want some crisps that will either blow my head off with heat, numb my mouth and gums like anaesthetic, or give me meat sweats. None do this.

Co-Op salt and Chardonnay wine vinegar.  Remember when Homer ate the world's sourest gummy?

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: icehaven on October 13, 2021, 01:10:51 PMI went to the Turner prize exhibition yesterday and part of one exhibit is a recreation of a 1980s bar in Northern Ireland, and there were packets of Taytos on the tables. I've never tried them so having seen them being lauded on here so much I really wanted to open one, but they might not even have been real. And I probably would have been thrown out. Still, if that nominee wins the prize then Tayto should really capitalize on it, get themselves in every crisp shop in England. 

This won the Turner Prize in the end. It just goes to show how little regard is given to period-correct crisp packet design these days. If this is the kind of thing we can expect from a united Ireland, then count me out.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 01, 2021, 09:38:04 PMCo-Op salt and Chardonnay wine vinegar.  Remember when Homer ate the world's sourest gummy?

Yes, I have eaten them and enjoyed them, but they're basically the only crisps out there that do something to you.

Fr.Bigley

Ate a full tube of sour cream prigles last night. They really are addictive. Reconstituted potato crisps (Discos/pringles/Hula Hoops etc) are infinitely more tasty than other crisps. More processing means better reward, bit like turkey twizzlers or whatever.

Sebastian Cobb

Tried the cheese and onion ones a while back. Just wished I'd bought sour cream and chive really.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 02, 2021, 10:42:21 AMAte a full tube of sour cream prigles last night. They really are addictive. Reconstituted potato crisps (Discos/pringles/Hula Hoops etc) are infinitely more tasty than other crisps. More processing means better reward, bit like turkey twizzlers or whatever.

I was thinking about this last night actually. Discos and Pringles are the type of crisps where the flavour seems to sit on the crisp, whereas other crisps, Walker for E.G., the flavour seems to be more embedded into the crisp.

I mean, I say interesting.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 01, 2021, 09:36:00 PMYes, Walkers with another one of their "wacky" seasonal flavours.  Tesco also used to do (perhaps still do) them in their festive Finest range.  As someone who hates mince pies, I've not tried either of them.

That isn't a reason

Replies From View

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 02, 2021, 01:59:58 PMI was thinking about this last night actually. Discos and Pringles are the type of crisps where the flavour seems to sit on the crisp

Cross-legged, or do you mean on a chair.

shoulders

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 02, 2021, 11:11:06 AMTried the cheese and onion ones a while back. Just wished I'd bought sour cream and chive really.

Yes, Cheese and Onion Pringles are the lowest of the low.

Cold Meat Platter

I've been sampling more of the Tesco seasonal range of 'premium' crisps.

Cheddar Cheese and Ale: At first I thought to myself 'this is just cheese' but after a few crisps a vaguely hoppy aftertaste comes through. Pleasant.

Prawn Marie Rose: Now, the astute among you will have noted the marketing conceit in the name of the flavour of these 'hand cooked' style crisps. Let's not beat about the proverbial, it's prawn cocktail flavour, isn't it?
But whhhhhat a prawn cocktail flavour, good readers. Redolent of a golden age Skip, these pack a real zing and zest.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on December 02, 2021, 09:26:49 PMThat isn't a reason

I can't see any good coming from it whatsoever, other than wasted money and, more importantly, wasted crisps.  A tragedy.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 02, 2021, 09:40:30 PMPrawn Marie Rose: Now, the astute among you will have noted the marketing conceit in the name of the flavour of these 'hand cooked' style crisps. Let's not beat about the proverbial, it's prawn cocktail flavour, isn't it?
But whhhhhat a prawn cocktail flavour, good readers. Redolent of a golden age Skip, these pack a real zing and zest.

Completely agree.  Incredibly good, which is even more surprising considering how disappointing most of the other flavours are, though I've not tried the cheddar and ale ones.

Catalogue Trousers

...all the flavours...

(On which note, does anyone know a comparatively cheap way to purchase The Whole Shabang crisps without being put in jail in America? I have a certain gruesome fascination with trying some ever since I heard about them.)

Sherringford Hovis

You know how they do GIANT cookies that are bigger than regular cookies?
Well, I want that, but with crisps. Poppodom-size crisps. Real big potato slices, obviously, not Pringle reconstitution. I'm a mug that'd pay a hefty premium for that sort of thing.

Don't care what flavour, just BIG.

Blumf

Fr.Bigley

monkfromhavana

H-O-W-L

Blumf

amateur

Don't give up
'cause you have crisps

SHAKING THE SALT: SIXTEEN GOLDEN CRISPS

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Fr.Bigley

Fr.Bigley

Sherringford Hovis

LIKE WE DID LAST SUMMER.

THAT CRISP AGAIN, CRISPING TIME IS HERE...

the hum

DIGGING IN THE DIRT (for potatoes to make CRISPS)

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: the hum on December 04, 2021, 06:16:42 PMDIGGING IN THE DIRT (for potatoes to make CRISPS)

Genuine laugh.

H-O-W-L

canadagoose

I had Northern Irish Tayto the other week, because I noticed Sainsbury's were selling them, and they tasted pretty good - but they've got gluten in them! I have no idea why they need to use wheat flour. Do Republic of Ireland Tayto have this problem too?

Glebe

Quote from: canadagoose on December 04, 2021, 08:39:01 PMI had Northern Irish Tayto the other week, because I noticed Sainsbury's were selling them, and they tasted pretty good - but they've got gluten in them! I have no idea why they need to use wheat flour. Do Republic of Ireland Tayto have this problem too?

Replies From View

Quote from: canadagoose on December 04, 2021, 08:39:01 PMI had Northern Irish Tayto the other week, because I noticed Sainsbury's were selling them, and they tasted pretty good - but they've got gluten in them! I have no idea why they need to use wheat flour. Do Republic of Ireland Tayto have this problem too?

Gluten is a wonder ingredient and if anything more snacks should have it added.

As Walkers used to say:  GET FUCKED ALLERGY CUNTS!!