Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Big March 31st Trans Fundraising Topic

Started by canadagoose, November 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 16, 2021, 08:48:18 AMSee they have a whole stream planned. What do we have? Literally nothing. So can someone please come up with suggestions and ideas for this so I don't now spend all Xmas worrying about it as well?

I think it depends on whether you want it explicitly associated with the site or not. If so, I think maybe something leaning into comedy would be the best option; maybe a 12 hour stream of old and obscure comedy, either without a host, or maybe peppered with pre-recorded clips from cabbers? Have the link to the fundraiser on screen and/or in the chatroom as much as possible.

I also think, although I totally understand your reasons for disagreeing, that any fundraiser really needs a specific charity and a link people can click - three charities maximum, but really just one. If you ask people to donate to the trans fund of their choice, the number that actually contribute will drop considerably, I suspect. It needs to be easy and convenient - people don't want to have to research the best charity to give to, they want to be pointed at one they can trust, so they can easily donate. Frankly I think people need to stop arguing about which trans charity to donate to; identify one that's well known, widely respected, and pick that.

Barry Admin

I don't have the capability to do streams and stuff anymore, unless I can do something from my phone or an 11 year old laptop. Reticent about having anything more to do with streams also tbh. If I can get back into Twitter then I can see if Katy Montgomerie might be interested in doing something along those lines on the day, that's the best idea I've had this far.

Thanks for the input Kelvin, really appreciate it. Broadly agree on limiting choice.

Kelvin

No worries. Also worth pointing out that there's absolutely no need for you do do this before you're ready, Neil, bearing in mind everything that's happened recently. If you don't want Christmas spoiled by you worrying about it, just push it back until Feb or March. It's already been delayed from December, so why tie yourself to January before you're ready. Take the time, and you can use it to pick the right charity, get the site ready, reach out to people. There's really no need to burn yourself out and ruin your Christmas over an arbitrary date.

Pink Gregory

Getting a fundraiser going when it's possible is more important than it going online at the right time to spite a certain ex-comedy writer who has gone bananas.

He may have spurred on the action, but it's not about him, it's about supporting trans people, and that's what we need to remember.

canadagoose

Quote from: Kelvin on December 16, 2021, 03:02:40 PMNo worries. Also worth pointing out that there's absolutely no need for you do do this before you're ready, Neil, bearing in mind everything that's happened recently. If you don't want Christmas spoiled by you worrying about it, just push it back until Feb or March. It's already been delayed from December, so why tie yourself to January before you're ready. Take the time, and you can use it to pick the right charity, get the site ready, reach out to people. There's really no need to burn yourself out and ruin your Christmas over an arbitrary date.
Yeah, I agree. I wonder if we couldn't have some kind of "master document" where ideas can be put together so we don't get things lost in the middle of topics etc. At any rate, don't worry yourself!

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 16, 2021, 03:09:50 PMGetting a fundraiser going when it's possible is more important than it going online at the right time to spite a certain ex-comedy writer who has gone bananas.

He may have spurred on the action, but it's not about him, it's about supporting trans people, and that's what we need to remember.
Exactly. He may have Banana Day on 19/12 but remember, he'll still be bananas in 2022.

sophie.pilbeam

The suggestion to "Push it back to March" synergises with Trans Day of Visibility being March 31, if people like the sound of that? It also leads into April Fool's Day, which is, I dunno, thematically comedic?

I stream all the time (to a bigger audience than Graham, even), so I can help out with the logistics if it's needed.

canadagoose

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on December 16, 2021, 03:32:50 PMThe suggestion to "Push it back to March" synergises with Trans Day of Visibility being March 31, if people like the sound of that? It also leads into April Fool's Day, which is, I dunno, thematically comedic?

I stream all the time (to a bigger audience than Graham, even), so I can help out with the logistics if it's needed.
Streaming these days (as you'll know) can be a great way to get donations. If you and Neil could work something out, it could be amazing.

sophie.pilbeam

I've done fundraising streams before (for private things, not charities) and yeah, it worked great. Not sure what will end up happening here, but I'm fine helping out in any way if it's wanted.

Barry Admin

Thanks again for the kind words and the suggestions, greatly appreciated. I do agree I don't want it to be all just about spiting that dickhead. I'll have a think about that sophie, do need something like that I suspect.

TrenterPercenter

@Barry Admin just a thought that it might be worth putting this as a sticky so people don't have to bump it to remain on the front page.

Barry Admin

Mmm, I personally look past sticky's more, which is why I put the more list-thread type ones up there, so they're not competing with more topical threads on the listing.  I did have a sticky in CC, but I unstickyed it this morning as it was causing me to fret too much.  I'll try stickying this one, sure. 

Feel a bit calmer now :-) it was too much pressure.  I do need deadlines, but I need to get working on getting moved outta this flat, and I also got writing projects dumped on me in my game that I'm gonna have to get done.  I figure, the site looks banging now, so I've made some good progress so far, and we can take a little more time to do this properly.

madhair60

I think pushing this back so it's its own thing and not a reaction to Banana cunt's day of TERFs getting fired is for the best - at worst it's risking putting eyes on their thing when it should be cleanly focused on the donating because it's a good cause rather than because it spites Linehan

Mister Six

Just saw this - I too overlook the stickies. Deffo leave it till you have time, Neil, and March 31 seems good but fuck it, leave it till summer or later if necessary.

I also agree with the person upthread who said a single link is better. Just Giving directly funnels donations to UK charities, so that would also get around any worries about being accused of keeping the cash and grifting. And it has the advantage of showing off-site people that others are donating, which spurs further donations.

Could set up one of those, but also allow people to directly donate to trans charities of their choice and post a receipt, to keep a running tally across multiple charities?

flotemysost

Just checking in on this as we're in March now - is there anything we can do to help start preparing? Obviously no pressure if this month isn't looking feasible.

Barry Admin

Quote from: flotemysost on March 05, 2022, 02:18:16 PMJust checking in on this as we're in March now - is there anything we can do to help start preparing? Obviously no pressure if this month isn't looking feasible.

It's an even fucking worse time for me now to be honest, but I'm up for it - although still need support and can't do it all on my own, and don't even know where to begin.

Mister Six

In the meantime, there's a bundle of 500-ish games for $5 (or more; it's a donation model) as a fundraiser supporting trans rights in Texas.

https://itch.io/b/1308/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-in-texas

Dr Rock

I don't know how it could connect to anything else, but I could raise some money via my Etsy shop on March 31st, promoting it with 'all profits today go to [insert pro-trans charity/maybe CAB will have something] for Trans Visibility Day, so buy something!'

Dr Rock

Hmm, what would be great if loads of Etsy shops did the same, but I'm not in  position to organise that.

QDRPHNC

Happy to make any graphic stuff needed, templates for social posts or whathaveyou.

Barry Admin

I'll quote wiki so we have a better idea of what the day is about.

Gonna unsticky this for a bit for visibility, also.

QuoteInternational Transgender Day of Visibility (also called TDOV, Transgender Day of Visibility) is an annual event occurring on March 31 dedicated to celebrating transgender people and raising awareness of discrimination faced by transgender people worldwide, as well as a celebration of their contributions to society. The day was founded by transgender activist Rachel Crandall of Michigan in 2009 as a reaction to the lack of LGBT recognition of transgender people, citing the frustration that the only well-known transgender-centered day was the Transgender Day of Remembrance, which mourned the murders of transgender people, but did not acknowledge and celebrate living members of the transgender community. The first International Transgender Day of Visibility was held on March 31, 2009. It has since been spearheaded by the U.S.-based youth advocacy organization Trans Student Educational Resources.

Barry Admin

Bump bump.

Here, read this transphobic shit, it just made me flushed with anger: https://mobile.twitter.com/katymontgomerie/status/1500770268582711297?s=21

Katy Montgomerie is a really nice, intelligent and scrupulously fair person who is always advocating for trans people, and she gets absolutely shit on. This is what it's like for a lot of trans people on a daily basis - they get treated like a piece of meat. They have their old pictures and dead name dug out and circulated purely to embarrass them in front of everyone. They are constantly compared to perverts and paedos.

Let's try and offer a bit of support.

Janie Jones

3 days away! This is copied across from the Glinner thread.

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 28, 2022, 04:40:46 PMFootball v transphobia this Thursday in South London, fundraising for TRUK which provides support for the Trans community. S. London CaB meet?

https://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2022/03/dulwich-hamlet-women-take-on-transgender-truk-united-fc-in-historic-encounter-31st-march-2022/

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 28, 2022, 06:50:54 PM3 days away! This is copied across from the Glinner thread.

Sounds like they are going to cause trouble. Would love to see the cuffs finally slapped on this cunt.

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 09, 2022, 06:31:54 PMBump bump.

Here, read this transphobic shit, it just made me flushed with anger: https://mobile.twitter.com/katymontgomerie/status/1500770268582711297?s=21

Katy Montgomerie is a really nice, intelligent and scrupulously fair person who is always advocating for trans people, and she gets absolutely shit on. This is what it's like for a lot of trans people on a daily basis - they get treated like a piece of meat. They have their old pictures and dead name dug out and circulated purely to embarrass them in front of everyone. They are constantly compared to perverts and paedos.

Let's try and offer a bit of support.

It has to wear on the psyche so much sometimes  I can't imagine. It's nothing short of torture and media and government all back and approve this vileness.