Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:03:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Louis CK special - "Sorry"

Started by dirkgonnadirk, December 18, 2021, 11:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirkgonnadirk

https://louisck.com/

This does look a bit like I'm spamming, but I'm not. Anyhow, haven't watched yet, probably will closer to Christmas.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Replies From View

He should be saying sorry for putting a time limit on people's ability to stream / download the content they have paid for.  In lots of ways it's worse than hijacking people's visual sensors and using them as an interface for his penis twanganigans.

Replies From View

selectivememory

Noodle Lizard

I thought this was a bumped thread - wasn't his last one called "Sorry" too? (obviously not, but that's the impression it left)

Noodle Lizard

It has opening credits underscored by Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone".

The Mollusk

madhair60

Oh? So we're judging this sexual predator without even watching his special, hmm?

pigamus

Replies From View

The Mollusk

Quote from: pigamus on December 19, 2021, 12:42:24 AMLanguage, Timothy!

Don't even know what the point is now calling this guy WANKBEAST as if like we've got the upper hand, we know what this prick's up to, we've got his number. Doesn't mean a thing. He's still going look, no criminal charges and relatively zero impact on his life in terms of damaging ramifications. That bit on Simpsons where Marge goes "well at least I hope you've learned an important lesson" and Homer goes "Marjorie my dear, I haven't learned a thing." 30 years down the line that sort of joke's finally earned the weight it should have had forever. How ignorant we've been. Honestly give it time and people like CK will be appropriating "wankbeast" for their own kicks. "Oop, guess I can't go to the store any more - sign on the window says only three wankbeasts allowed at any one time!" HAHA REMEMBER THAT, when people said all that stuff about him! Well I guess whatever, he's not a registered sex offender and we're here in the comedy club, we may as well laugh about it since he's so willingly inviting us to. Where's all the voices of dissent if he's such a bad guy? Oh that's right, they're too TIRED of fighting "the good fight". Guess it can't be that good if they're calling it a day so soon? If you wanna see real strength, look at guys like Louis CK who lost it all and climbed their way back up because all they know how to do is SURVIVE. You know what else does that? Fucking parasites mate, parasites that need hacking clean in half with machete blades off the decking of a boat in swamp in the arse end of nowhere.

imitationleather

Another victim of cancel culture beats the odds to return to doing exactly the same as he was doing before with zero repercussions.

It's an uplifting story.

Replies From View

Chollis

And I really am so very truly sorry

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: imitationleather on December 19, 2021, 01:22:09 AMAnother victim of cancel culture beats the odds to return to doing exactly the same as he was doing before with zero repercussions.

It's an uplifting story.

I mean, "repercussions" are obviously relative, but this was an Emmy-certified TV GENIUS on the verge of an Oscar who's now back to releasing comedy specials exclusively to people who won't admit they bought it. Had he not been cancelled, he'd likely be tens of millions of dollars richer by now.

Not saying it's not fair, but it's also not as if he's just picked up where he left off. A multi-million dollar movie he wrote, directed and starred in never got released as a result, and his specials will never be on Netflix or HBO again. For someone who had practically become a household name, that's not "nothing".

Anyway, I've watched about half of it. Louis CK was one of the formative stand-ups for me, and even though I'd gone off him quite a bit long before the wankbeast situation, I'd feel remiss not to keep up to date with him. It's very CK-by-numbers. One early segment is like a less-good continuation of a bit in Hilarious. Nothing worth buying unless you're a completist.

peanutbutter

Quite a lot of his rep by the time the news came out was via positioning himself as something of a bastion of wokeness. It's the hypocrisy that's killed him and I'm still not totally sure he is now aware he was doing it.

He's nowhere near as well off as he was before but he was operating at a level that was ultimately a bit of a con, whether he was aware of it or not.
Plus he was honestly due a fair bit of a correction in esteem at that point anyway. There's no way that film was going to do well with it's over 2 hour runtime and I imagine some people already had the knives out after Horace and Pete's indulgences regardless.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 19, 2021, 04:32:02 AMQuite a lot of his rep by the time the news came out was via positioning himself as something of a bastion of wokeness. It's the hypocrisy that's killed him and I'm still not totally sure he is now aware he was doing it.

He's nowhere near as well off as he was before but he was operating at a level that was ultimately a bit of a con, whether he was aware of it or not.
Plus he was honestly due a fair bit of a correction in esteem at that point anyway. There's no way that film was going to do well with it's over 2 hour runtime and I imagine some people already had the knives out after Horace and Pete's indulgences regardless.

I agree with that, too, but they're separate issues. I don't think any of the wankbeast allegations were contrived because people thought he was undeservedly getting a bit big for his boots, but it's had the unintended effect of proving that people are doing just fine without Louie or Horace & Pete, and nobody really needed his film career either. But because of where he'd managed to position himself, he had a far higher perch to fall off than your average stand-up comedian.

The idea that he just got away with it (bearing in mind nothing he did was criminally prosecutable) is clearly untrue, but it's not surprising that a stand-up as popular as he was is still able to make money doing stand-up. But at the time of cancelling, he had ties to at least three major networks and could have been given money to do just about anything he wanted to. Since 2017, nobody in showbusiness will touch him (no pun intended), and he's been distributing all his work himself. I don't expect he'll ever re-enter the mainstream.

mr. logic

Have to be honest, I found the Matt Damon thing inspired. He does have a knack for humorous film criticism. Quite disheartening that he had to stop the crowd think he was taking the piss with the trans stuff

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 19, 2021, 05:28:05 AMand he's been distributing all his work himself.

That wasn't a repercussion and he wasn't forced to go back to stand up, he's been releasing his own stand up and work on his website for years.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 19, 2021, 03:30:35 AMNot saying it's not fair, but it's also not as if he's just picked up where he left off. A multi-million dollar movie he wrote, directed and starred in never got released as a result, and his specials will never be on Netflix or HBO again.

Replies From View

Could Ricky Gervais ever be cancelled for holding people in a wrestling lock with his legs and farting in their faces?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 19, 2021, 06:44:50 AMThat wasn't a repercussion and he wasn't forced to go back to stand up, he's been releasing his own stand up and work on his website for years.

I didn't mean to imply it was a repercussion, just that it's not as if networks etc. are behind him anymore. So the fact that he's released a special doesn't suggest that he's gotten away with anything, since he did it himself.

I don't think the existence of his previous specials on Netflix says anything either (although they have been taken down from HBO and you can't buy or stream Louie last I checked), but he certainly won't be getting another one.

whatabulb

Quote from: mr. logic on December 19, 2021, 06:42:34 AMHave to be honest, I found the Matt Damon thing inspired. He does have a knack for humorous film criticism. Quite disheartening that he had to stop the crowd think he was taking the piss with the trans stuff

was starting to think that no one was going to actually mention any of the content of the special on this thread.

for the 1% of users of this site interested in comedy vs tedious social commentary i thought it was a real return to form for the shamed nubbin botherer.

someone who has really mastered their art in terms of the tics and expressions without making it predictable/contrived (chappelle's knee slap, jeselniks "yes i just said that" look to the audience etc), and taking the earlier conceit of "yes, but maybe..." in his previous special and turning it up to 11, just playing with the audience, exploring different sides to topics, creating and releasing tension.

ProvanFan

Replies From View

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 19, 2021, 09:19:05 AMSo the fact that he's released a special doesn't suggest that he's gotten away with anything, since he did it himself.

But my point is that it doesn't suggest that he's suffered consequences, as he was releasing specials on his own website before his wankbeast shenanigans came to light. This isn't a line of work he's been forced into doing.

Replies From View