Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:48:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

If they'd have hung a bit they could have got Margaret Hodge.

Quote from: amateur on December 03, 2021, 09:51:14 AMTaskmaster's New Year Treat lineup is out:

Adrian Chiles
Claudia Winkleman
Jonnie Peacock
Lady Leshurr
Sayeeda Warsi

Decent haul!

Jonnie Peacock was ill for the studio filming, so he's replaced by Alan Davies for those bits. Shame it wasn't Warsi who had the shits.

Spoiler-heavy interviews here: https://www.channel4.com/press/news/taskmasters-new-year-treat-interviews-greg-davies-alex-horne-adrian-chiles-claudia

olliebean

I'm guessing it was filmed on the same day as some of the S12 episodes, hence Alan Davies being around to step in? Shame they didn't get Guz to do it, if so.

jobotic

Absolutely dreadful line-up (although I don't know who Lady Leshurr is so not including her).

Quote from: olliebean on December 22, 2021, 09:30:43 AMI'm guessing it was filmed on the same day as some of the S12 episodes, hence Alan Davies being around to step in? Shame they didn't get Guz to do it, if so.

It was filmed months later and in front of a studio audience. I guess Alan just happened to be available, like when Kerry Godliman and Katherine Ryan replaced Katy Wix when she was ill in series 9.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: jobotic on December 22, 2021, 09:47:00 AMAbsolutely dreadful line-up (although I don't know who Lady Leshurr is so not including her).

I didn't think the line up could be any worse... and then Alan Davies enters the room.

Small Man Big Horse

More potentially shitty news about forthcoming series: https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/12/23/49912/taskmaster_might_move_away_from_comedians

QuoteTaskmaster might move away from comedians
Alex Horne considers 'mixing it up'

Future series of Taskmaster might not be the sole preserve of comedians.

Series creator Alex Horne, and loyal lickspittle to Taskmaster Greg Davies, says that taking  contestants from outside the world of comedy for the New Year special has encouraged him to consider expanding the field for future regular series.

He said:' We both felt it was great having people outside of comedy on the show.

'Maybe there's room to have three comics and two non-comics in the same series, or just one, or mixing it up.

'It would be good to have an athlete or a historian or something. Someone like Mary Beard. She was my lecturer at university. She was amazing, really inspiring. She's a good one. Quite scary.'

And Davies added: 'I really enjoy involvement from non-comics. I don't know what it means going forward, but it's really exciting.'

This year's New Year special, featuring Adrian Chiles, Claudia Winkleman, Jonnie Peacock, Lady Leshurr and Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, airs on Channel 4 at 9pm on January 1.

greencalx

Well, they've had one or two non-comics each series. Amirite?

BritishHobo

I guess I wouldn't say Richard Osman or Mel Giedroyc were first and foremost comics.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 24, 2021, 06:15:30 PMMore potentially shitty news about forthcoming series: https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/12/23/49912/taskmaster_might_move_away_from_comedians

Combine them running out of decent comedians to use and the move to Channel 4, this had to happen soon.

Enzo

I give it three more series before Jess Phillips is a contestant

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 24, 2021, 06:28:26 PMCombine them running out of decent comedians to use and the move to Channel 4, this had to happen soon.
I have no objection to them having (more) non-comedians on Taskmaster, but why couldn't they have some of the earlier comedians back again? The first few seasons were half the length of the latest ones. Besides which, the dynamic between contestants would be different unless they got the exact same lineup back.

olliebean

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 24, 2021, 06:23:58 PMI guess I wouldn't say Richard Osman or Mel Giedroyc were first and foremost comics.

Giedroyc was a comic before she was a presenter, wasn't she?

Small Man Big Horse

I can think of a sod load of comedians I'd like to see on the show so I don't think they've run out of decent potential participants - though whether they'd want to do the show is another question I guess.

g0m

One of my favourite episodes of the horne section podcast was the one where the guest was just alex's accountant. bring him one for a series

DrGreggles

Quote from: g0m on December 24, 2021, 08:41:15 PMOne of my favourite episodes of the horne section podcast was the one where the guest was just alex's accountant. bring him one for a series

Yes, that was good.
Wasn't he there by accident, so they just recorded one anyway?

g0m

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 24, 2021, 08:45:09 PMYes, that was good.
Wasn't he there by accident, so they just recorded one anyway?

i don't think so, there was a bit mid-episode where alex read out texts he'd sent to the band about it

DrGreggles

Quote from: g0m on December 24, 2021, 11:03:32 PMi don't think so, there was a bit mid-episode where alex read out texts he'd sent to the band about it

Ah, assumed that was made up.

BritishHobo

Quote from: olliebean on December 24, 2021, 08:22:52 PMGiedroyc was a comic before she was a presenter, wasn't she?

I have never watched The Vicar of Dibley, and by pure chance I had a watch of the Christmas special repeated on BBC1 tonight, in which Mel appears in a dialled-to-11 comic relief role. Egg all over my face.

greencalx

Personally I don't have a problem with people who aren't primarily comedians taking part as long as they are entertaining in the context of TM. But unless it reaches the point where people have to audition to take part, it's always going to be a gamble.

The Lurker

Adrian Chiles was very good value on RHLSTP. Self aware, self deprecating and can certainly tell a story. That probably won't make for a good Taskmaster contestant though.

Jonnie Peacock is obviously going to be competitive so he may well come across as a cock.

As for other non TM comics, I did think Richard Osman was good value on the show. Alice Levine, not so much. There have been comics on it who have been shit though so ultimately, it just depends on their personality.

KennyMonster

Quote from: greencalx on December 24, 2021, 06:21:36 PMWell, they've had one or two non-comics each series. Amirite?

Spoiler alert
Baddiel?
[close]

Hat FM

don't mind the idea of having some non celebs as they could be great if the right people are picked but sports people would just end up doing the tasks in a very straight faced way like richard herring wouldnt they? Looking forward to Cristiano Ronaldo making an appearance when he hangs his boots up...

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: olliebean on December 24, 2021, 08:22:52 PMGiedroyc was a comic before she was a presenter, wasn't she?
She was in Footlights, so yes.

I hate non-comedians on these sorts of show, it all becomes part of the same grey mush that Taskmaster had managed to not sink into. Ah well.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 28, 2021, 10:45:47 PMShe was in Footlights, so yes.

I hate non-comedians on these sorts of show, it all becomes part of the same grey mush that Taskmaster had managed to not sink into. Ah well.

She was seen as a pioneer in the alt-comedy movement alongside Keith Allen I think.

olliebean

I've got so used to them doing the socially distanced version, I really don't like them sitting so close together now. Makes the whole thing feel quite claustrophobic. I think they're even closer than they used to be pre-pandemic.

Ja'moke

It's amazing how much better it is with a live audience.

The vinegar task was the kind of simple task I enjoy too.

Nearly didn't watch this because a) I hated last year's special and b) Warsi but - her aside - I thought it was a hit. Even the prize task delivered some big laughs.

The three main tasks were better than any from the last series. I wish they were all like that.

And I'm not going to start calling for non-comedians to become regulars (I wouldn't read too much into that Chortle article, which was taken from a few lines of a long interview), but it was obvious they were there for fun rather than to win. Which makes for a better show.

Fuck them for putting Warsi on the show, but Chiles and Lady Leshurr cancelled her out.

DrGreggles

Didn't have high hopes for this, and probably only watched due to my crush on Lady Leshurr, but I thought it was really good.