Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

That is beautiful

Quote for new page:
Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 29, 2021, 09:13:16 AMThe wife drew this for me, I can't look at it, makes me feel ill.

ads82

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 29, 2021, 09:13:16 AMThe wife drew this for me, I can't look at it, makes me feel ill.

Amazing, your wife should put this on Etsy I'm sure it'll make a few quid.

Swoz_MK

There IS a distinct lack of Documental goodies online, in the west at least. A few shirts on Redbubble but that's yer lot.

Minami Minegishi

Fantastic!

ProvanFan

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 29, 2021, 10:27:56 AMThere IS a distinct lack of Documental goodies online, in the west at least. A few shirts on Redbubble but that's yer lot.

I gave my flatmates Tenga Eggs for Christmas and my niece got that mimicking monkey toy (or will when it arrives). The former took some explaining, turns out they both tune out I when talk about this show.

Minami Minegishi

Chiki Chiki Tube
https://chikichiki.tube/

This amazing website has gone live today and it's great if you are interested in Gaki No Tsukai/Downtown associated content. This website takes much of the content from The Silent Library mega-torrent and streams them and allows you to stream and watch online.

It's fantastic.

If you're not convinced:

Jimmy: https://chikichiki.tube/gakinotsukai/video/fef5ffd5c1ddd61dcf95a0215b07764b4715d83d/

madhair60

Fantastic. Finally a way I can get friends to watch, lol.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: madhair60 on December 31, 2021, 02:37:16 PMFantastic. Finally a way I can lose friends, lol.

:-)

Some smallprint related to the p2p nature of the site that I feel compelled to post:

A federated no-nonsense peer-to-peer video streaming site hosting Gaki no Tsukai and other related comedy videos. IPs are exposed due to p2p nature of site, much like a torrent. As with any website, use a VPN if you wish to conceal the IP.

The videos on Chiki Chiki Tube are optimised for streaming so aren't great for downloading. Please download and archive videos to keep things safe, try The Silent Library ➚ for archives including many softsubs for ultimate clarity.

ads82

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 24, 2021, 12:08:59 PMSeason 6 is a really good one.

There's one episode left of Season 8 to be uploaded. It hasn't been one of my favourites, despite some great moments here and there. But there seems to be more of a slower approach than previous seasons. Maybe because the gags seem more focused on references than ever before, which is obviously a bit of an obstacle for those not familiar with Japanese comedy/culture.

You're right about season 6, it's probably my favourite season so far. The best mix of contestants so far, the dynamic between the men and women is fascinating to watch.

amateur

Banging my way through season seven. I have to say I'm finding

Spoiler alert
Kato really fucking annoying - it might be his gargoyle face when he's putting a grimace on, or the fact he seems to shout all the time.
[close]

As has been discussed I do think
Spoiler alert
using videos
[close]
is basically cheating - it feels a bit less inventive. Hope there isn't too much of that going forward.

It's still a brilliant show though. I like it.

Famous Mortimer

I finally started watching it, and was in stitches just with the limited stuff of episode 1. If you're on the fence about this show, dive in, I say.

amateur

Finished season seven and can't complain about the winner, absolutely deserved it.

I did think that there were a few more people just sitting around and not being aggressive, which is one strategy, but it doesn't make for the best TV. Fortunately there was more than enough insanity to go round from the others.

Looking forward to Joshimental next.

amateur

Just polished off Joshimental, absolutely superb.

Minami Minegishi has got nerves of steel.

Spoiler alert
Immediately embracing the shaved head thing, and using it as a weapon on two (edit: three!) occasions - now, that's proper Documentaling.
[close]

What I didn't love:

Spoiler alert
Needing a bunch of (admittedly my fave) lads to lol along in the background - it made it pretty crowded with everyone talking and the subs were great but it was possibly a bit too frenetic. Also, no idea why the winner's jacket needed to be pink rather than red? Not my culture I guess.
[close]

Would echo the comments above in wanting a whole season, there was so much to enjoy.

Season eight START-O

Swoz_MK

We're still waiting on the final episode to be uploaded so we can dedicate an afternoon to it. But it is tempting.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: amateur on January 12, 2022, 07:16:28 AMI did think that there were a few more people just sitting around and not being aggressive, which is one strategy, but it doesn't make for the best TV. Fortunately there was more than enough insanity to go round from the others.

There is some careful editing going on that edits out some of the more shit attempts to make people laugh. You can see that when the edit cut seems sudden, and you can see one of them suddenly dressed as a geisha or something (and its almost always a weak one). When you add in the introduction, recaps, chat when the buzzer goes etc, then even across five episodes there is a huge amount edited out. So, I think some of the more passive contestants are actually trying but failing, and end up on the cutting floor.

I quite like it when these attempts are left in - up to a point. Season 8 has a notably shit contestant that Matsumoto has a lot of fun with, so his skits are left in to add to the humour of the whole thing. There's something extra funny about a failed attempt, and the silence and cutting comments that follow.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 13, 2022, 09:46:56 AMWe're still waiting on the final episode to be uploaded so we can dedicate an afternoon to it. But it is tempting.

Thanos is posting 8.5b this weekend, but I suspect it will drop on Sunday night based on his previous posts, so stop rationing yourself and watch and enjoy Joshimental! You only live once.

Swoz_MK

I have that, its great, I want more of them.

Minami Minegishi

Yeah, me too. Joshimental 2 went out in May last year and still hasn't been subbed, but I suspect Thanos will get around to it before the summer.

amateur

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on January 14, 2022, 04:11:30 PMThere is some careful editing going on that edits out some of the more shit attempts to make people laugh. You can see that when the edit cut seems sudden, and you can see one of them suddenly dressed as a geisha or something (and its almost always a weak one). When you add in the introduction, recaps, chat when the buzzer goes etc, then even across five episodes there is a huge amount edited out. So, I think some of the more passive contestants are actually trying but failing, and end up on the cutting floor.

I quite like it when these attempts are left in - up to a point. Season 8 has a notably shit contestant that Matsumoto has a lot of fun with, so his skits are left in to add to the humour of the whole thing. There's something extra funny about a failed attempt, and the silence and cutting comments that follow.

That makes sense. I'd definitely rather see some more of the ones that land flat.

I don't recall seeing Kazutoyo Koyabu do a whole lot, but got a sense there was a lot of respect for him from the other comedians. Maybe his stuff was subtle compared to the other madness.

Might watch season 1 with fansubs and see what I missed, culturally speaking with Amazon.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: amateur on January 14, 2022, 06:11:13 PMThat makes sense. I'd definitely rather see some more of the ones that land flat.

I don't recall seeing Kazutoyo Koyabu do a whole lot, but got a sense there was a lot of respect for him from the other comedians. Maybe his stuff was subtle compared to the other madness.

My awareness of Japanese comedy is mainly through a lot of shows like Gaki no Tsukai and Downtown, and the No Laughing Batsus in particular. But that is really limited, and I just don't have a context for some of these comedians. When they are passive, rubbish or edited out you do wonder how they could come in with so few ideas.

QuoteMight watch season 1 with fansubs and see what I missed, culturally speaking with Amazon.

I absolutely recommend this for anyone rewatching the show who originally watched seasons 1-4 on Amazon. There is some really nice contexts and occasions where you can see the Amazon subbers just could not be arsed and either ignored a reference or they changed it radically to fit the moment. Lots of Japanese comedy references that force you down all sorts of rabbit holes.

Minami Minegishi

Minami Minegishi

Final part of 8 x 5 is now up and subbed. A ton of references so you might want to consult Thanos' post or have it to hand.

If you can't access the link PM me.

The Mollusk

Just watched season 1 of this and already loving it, so very excited to get into the rest, which everyone says is even better.

I have a question regarding the subtitling on the Chikichiki.tube streams - has anyone had any issues with lag? On season 1, with at least 2 of the episodes there's an incremental amount of delay on the subs, meaning at the end of the episode the delay is about 2 seconds between when someone speaks and the subs appearing on screen. When a situation gets heated and lots of people are talking this gets very frustrating to keep up with! Can anyone confirm if this is a persistent thing in the remaining seasons?

Jerzy Bondov

If you're content with watching on Amazon, season 5 is now on there.

Ja'moke

Finished Season 8 now, not my favourite season but I really enjoyed the final episode. Also I finally understand a reference, with the Onita cosplay!

The cast for the Canadian version has been announced too:

Caroline Rhea, Dave Foley, Debra DiGiovanni, Jon Lajoie, Tom Green, Colin Mochrie, Mae Martin, Brandon Ash Mohammed, Andrew Phung and K. Trevor Wilson. Hosted by Jay Baruchel. Starts February 18th.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 17, 2022, 10:21:06 PMFinished Season 8 now, not my favourite season but I really enjoyed the final episode. Also I finally understand a reference, with the Onita cosplay!

Agreed, although I did really enjoy coo-chan's videogame and the spoon game. I think it missed some of the chaos that Jimmy brings.

QuoteThe cast for the Canadian version has been announced too:

Caroline Rhea, Dave Foley, Debra DiGiovanni, Jon Lajoie, Tom Green, Colin Mochrie, Mae Martin, Brandon Ash Mohammed, Andrew Phung and K. Trevor Wilson. Hosted by Jay Baruchel. Starts February 18th.

That's unusually strong, certainly compared with the Aussie version. I couldn't be happier about Tom Green - that is definitely whetting my appetite. Mochrie is superbly dry and virtually never cracks so could also be really good. Great news and maybe brings us closer to a UK version, for good or bad. It would be nice to have something less twee and safe than Taskmaster.

Swoz_MK

Hmm, I can't see s8e05 on the Mega list of files.

amateur

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 17, 2022, 10:21:06 PMThe cast for the Canadian version has been announced too:

My hopes for this lie in the format - if it can be closer to the Japanese version than the Australian one I'd be very happy. If they get that right they could have anyone on and I'd love it.

Rewatched episode 1 last night from the first series. It's wonderful how they haven't got a clue what they're in for, apart from Jimmy who is as Jimmy as he's ever been.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 18, 2022, 09:17:26 AMHmm, I can't see s8e05 on the Mega list of files.

It's only available to Patrons. If you want the link PM me.

Quote from: amateur on January 18, 2022, 09:32:53 AMMy hopes for this lie in the format - if it can be closer to the Japanese version than the Australian one I'd be very happy. If they get that right they could have anyone on and I'd love it.

This is a very good point. I am extremely interested in cultural anthropology, and ideas around evolution and humour. Despite being one of the most silly, puerile shows in existence, Documental definitly taps into serious, theoretical ideas about comedy, perhaps by accident. For me, Documental is almost a science experiment to see what actually makes people laugh and why. LOL, on the other hand, was really just slebs making each other laugh. We can learn something, but Documental's format is more about the tension and tone of comedy in a very human way, I feel. I might be over-interpreting, or taking this too seriously, but I feel I learn some interesting ideas.

Swoz_MK

Watched 1-4 of S8 last night, really happy to see some faces again but it really started to lose me around ep3, plus I found myself really disliking
Spoiler alert
Seiji
[close]
, get a really weird vibe from him. Glad to hear ep5 is good though.