Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Truly pathetic attempts at humour

Started by Tikwid, July 08, 2017, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I'm catching up with this thread and I saw Max West early on. I just wanted to add that he's a racist Republican who thinks the joke about Obama painting the White House black is oh so funny, and he's started writing books for kids that cater to a certain kink he has. I can't remember how I found him but I recognised that art style.

JaDanketies

Catalogue Trousers

Andrew Lawrence. Although that isn't so much humour as a resentful has-been bitching about people more successful than him.

This just came up on facebook, fuck me.

He's wearing a dressing gown as he's been WORKING FROM HOME, aHaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaohgod

Fambo Number Mive

I always find anti working from home cartoons ironic given that cartoonists usually work from home. Do newspaper cartoonists go to the newspaper in person with their cartoons or do they just email them in.

It's not as bad as the hateful shite in papers like the Telegraph but it does imply people who work from home need to have their teddies with them when they are at work and are unable to adjust to being back in the office.

Would more people enjoy their jobs if they were encouraged to bring their teddy to work each day?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 30, 2021, 01:34:49 PMI always find anti working from home cartoons ironic given that cartoonists usually work from home. Do newspaper cartoonists go to the newspaper in person with their cartoons or do they just email them in.

It's not as bad as the hateful shite in papers like the Telegraph but it does imply people who work from home need to have their teddies with them when they are at work and are unable to adjust to being back in the office.

Would more people enjoy their jobs if they were encouraged to bring their teddy to work each day?
to be fair I have, over the course of the past... 21 months (fucking hell), occasionally worked from home while still in my pyjamas. Or a tracksuit, which are basically pyjamas you can wear outside. But you know what? That's no-one's business but mine, it isn't every day and if it was, WHO CARES, THERE IS A GLOBAL PANDEMIC AND WE DO WHAT MAKES US HAPPY fuck you.

Thosworth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 30, 2021, 01:34:49 PMDo newspaper cartoonists go to the newspaper in person with their cartoons or do they just email them in.

Here's cartoonist Matt at work, proffering his knee-slappers to the Telegraph staff, to hilarity all round. Can't remember if he's made an appearance in this thread, but he probably should, if only because his bland, trite excretions famously earn him £650,000 p/a

idunnosomename

God hes a creepy cunt isnt he. Exactly as I imagined.

Imagine laughing at a Matt cartoon

frajer

An Aardman Animation skeleton muses how many times he's had to find a fresh way to joke about austerity. Desolation.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on July 16, 2017, 02:41:41 PMThe calendar makes me legitimately angry. Thinking about it now has already irreparably ruined my Sunday.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=aunty+acid+calendar&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3qJnu9o3VAhXIVT4KHUuPAyoQ_AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=672

4 and a half years later, and the existence of this character and branded calendar still breaks my brain. It's just so bad.

That's the gag considered so strong it's on the cover, to sell the contents within. "Acid" suggests the humour will be biting, close to the knuckle, fuckin' raw, man. But it's not. It's pablum. In fact, it aspires to one day be pablum.

And there's so much of it, page after page, day after day. Seriously, click the google link in my quoted post, as true today as it was then. Humour for people who don't know how humour works.

Porky

The YOBS cartoons in Private Eye are usually good.

Kankurette

If I didn't work from home I wouldn't be able to do my job. Fuck sake.

Ferris

Can't tell if that's an original or not. Literally no idea.

Quote from: Ferris on December 31, 2021, 09:49:23 PMCan't tell if that's an original or not. Literally no idea.
damn, I knew I should've put quote marks around "cool".

Ferris

Picked one at random to post, let's review it's quality after the image link is posted

Edit: fuckin hell

Fambo Number Mive

I don't get these 16 month calendars. Don't people just buy a new calendar every 12 months?

Genuine question, not a pathetic attempt at humour.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 31, 2021, 11:04:29 PMI don't get these 16 month calendars. Don't people just buy a new calendar every 12 months?

Genuine question, not a pathetic attempt at humour.

I can imagine if someone was stopping being a teacher or a student they might have an academic year calendar going up to August, then a 16-month calendar from September to December the next year might be useful to get onto normal calendars. Doesn't sound like a very big market though.

Ferris

Thanks to covid and lockdown and just being busy, we don't have a new calendar (which expires today; what are the chances?!) so maybe the extra few months act as a buffer? I mean, I'd be happy if the thing on the kitchen wall had an extra few months but until when?

idunnosomename

I think that Aunty Acid is more truly cynical and exploitative than pathetic

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/real-lives/liverpool-team-behind-worlds-best-9942468

Suppose you could say the same about Matt though

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Ferris on December 31, 2021, 10:22:37 PMPicked one at random to post, let's review it's quality after the image link is posted

Edit: fuckin hell

How many purple-rinsed old women call anything 'awesome'? They can't even write appropriate dialogue for their own character.

Catalogue Trousers

Kankurette

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 01, 2022, 12:19:45 PMI think that Aunty Acid is more truly cynical and exploitative than pathetic

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/real-lives/liverpool-team-behind-worlds-best-9942468

That whole article made me cringe. I did have to laugh that they made her an Everton fan though.

BritishHobo

Quote"We stay away from politics and we avoid religion, of course," he smiles. "I think we said 'oh my God' once and had about 20,000 people telling us off. But we're not trying to preach to anyone, we're just trying to spread a smile."

Cursed to sanitise for an audience who want acidity, but tame acidity, please.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 01, 2022, 12:19:45 PMI think that Aunty Acid is more truly cynical and exploitative than pathetic

I want psychological profiles of people who cynically identify a lowest common denominator niche in the media and create a product to fill it.

There's no way to do this without pathology being involved.

Goldentony

Quote"When I worked at Radio City I'd go in at 5am every morning, get a copy of the national papers and write two A45 sheets with 20 jokes about the day's news," he remembers. "Two years of that was really good training."

if you've ever heard a Liverpool radio station you'll know this explains basically everything

Ferris

Kankurette

Quote from: Goldentony on January 01, 2022, 06:31:32 PMif you've ever heard a Liverpool radio station you'll know this explains basically everything
I used to listen to Radio City, and yes, the fact he worked for them says it all.

Thosworth

It's actually genuinely impressive that they can produce 30 posts a day of consistently, identically bland t-shirt/cafe chalkboard almost-humour, without producing a single joke that is actually funny.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Thosworth on January 01, 2022, 08:30:13 PMIt's actually genuinely impressive that they can produce 30 posts a day of consistently, identically bland t-shirt/cafe chalkboard almost-humour, without producing a single joke that is actually funny.

I wonder if the company has daily interminable meetings where they come up with the day's japes