Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry January 2022

Started by Ferris, January 01, 2022, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Everyone's least favourite time of year is back.

This is year 4 or 5 for me (?) and I always feel better for a month off (especially after caning it through December). Anyone else giving it a try?

Norton Canes

First time in about ten years I'm not doing it. Daughter bought us tickets to a beer and cheese tasting evening on 29th January so regrettably a dry Jan is out the question.

Maybe I'll make up for it with dry July.

Norton Canes

Ferris

From what I remember; for two I was properly flawless, one I made it to Jan 29th but had Leafs tickets so had a beer at the venue, and the other two had a couple of beery evenings each.

I'd say you don't have to be completely dry for the exercise to still feel like a success, or that's what I tell myself anyway.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

So it's "Cutting Down A Bit" January for Ferris then.

Ferris

The aim of the game is to go zero booze, no exceptions, but because exceptions come along I might drink 1-2 beers during the month. Might not though.

Some people are more militant about it than that (fair enough), but to me the value of it is to stop drinking for a decent period of time and reevaluate, not an exercise in box ticking that is a total failure if you put bitters in your tonic water.

Dex Sawash

Had last one about 3 weeks ago, so I'm still in.

Crenners

I did about three months pre-Covid, first time I'd ever done it and just kept rolling. I lost two and a half stone and probably saved five hundred quid. When Covid hit, I really went for it exploring booze of the world to legitimise drinking five times a week. Over the last week or so, I've genuinely felt bored of it so I'm going to do dry Jan and see how I feel. Hopefully I'll lose the two and a half stone I've put on since the start of Covid 😂😂😂

Paul Calf

"Please keep coming to the pub and drinking soft drinks, on which we have a 1000% mark-up".

seepage

Send me any booze you wont be able to drink. Grand or Premier cru only please.

jobotic

Done it before but this year will just make sure I don't drink as much.

Had a over a month off the sauce when Covid began as I didn't think I'd be able to keep it together if I added alcohol psychosis to the mental mix. Also I'd given up fags and I associate the two.

chrispmartha

I did dry January start of 2020, turned into dry 2020 and 2021 - 2 years without a drink, I didn't plan it I don't know if ill carry on, maybe Ill have a 'wet' January then give up again just to be different. When I say different i mean a contrary twat.

Milo

Day 2 and the wine aisle of Lidl did call to me but I resisted the lure and bought a big salmon en croute instead.

bgmnts

I'm dry for almost all of the year and I've enjoyed my daily alcohol consumption this past week.

Rum and coke in an hour and so. Lovely stuff.

Catalogue of ills

Generally felt rubbish from October to December so drank very little, therefore gonna get proper cunted in January

Janie Jones

Quote from: Ferris on January 01, 2022, 05:58:42 PMI'd say you don't have to be completely dry for the exercise to still feel like a success, or that's what I tell myself anyway.

Yes my kids do Dry January every year and they have 2, maybe 3, pre-arranged 'cheat' days for celebration events, planned parties, that sort of thing. You might say 'what's the point, then,' but my family and I all drink too much, so every alcohol-free day is a good thing. If feeling part of something like Dry January helps increase the number of alcohol-free days, who cares if it's not followed to the letter.

the Fallen

failed before it was even half past midnight

if ~I swap out drink with drugs is that count?

Blue Jam

Glebe

Got plenty of my tenner-in-Lidl Bailey's left so Dry January can go and do one.

Ferris

You're forgetting how smug I'm gonna be in another few days. Christ I'll be unbearable.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Glebe on January 02, 2022, 04:59:01 PMGot plenty of my tenner-in-Lidl Bailey's left so Dry January can go and do one.

Got any Irish Knights?

I have no intention of cutting down on booze because nature is already doing it for me. I'm already having to drink less and less with age, not gonna deprive myself when I really just need to enjoy it while I still can.

Glebe

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 02, 2022, 05:05:16 PMGot any Irish Knights?

Not heard of that before. I'd normally go for a cheapo Bailey's knock-off but as I say Lidl had a deal on!

JamesTC

Not wet the bed yet, so looking good.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Glebe on January 02, 2022, 05:13:15 PMNot heard of that before. I'd normally go for a cheapo Bailey's knock-off but as I say Lidl had a deal on!

https://groceries.asda.com/product/liqueurs/irish-knights-country-cream/40208

QuoteIn the magical land of Ireland many years ago it is said that Irish Knights offered sanctuary, food and drink to the weary traveller as they travelled life's road. Today this traditional Irish Country Cream made with cream and fine wines offers a truly warming taste in the spirit of friendship and tradition of the Irish Knights.

THE LEGEND OF THE IRISH KNIGHTS IS 100% TRUE AND I BELIEVE IN THE IRISH KNIGHTS

Glebe

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 02, 2022, 05:24:54 PMhttps://groceries.asda.com/product/liqueurs/irish-knights-country-cream/40208

THE LEGEND OF THE IRISH KNIGHTS IS 100% TRUE AND I BELIEVE IN THE IRISH KNIGHTS

DISCLAIMER: THE IRISH KNIGHTS IS MADE UP BULLSHIT AND THERE IS NO MENTION OF THEM ANYWHERE IN IRISH MYTHOLOGY OR FOLKLORE. SHOP SMART - SHOP ASDA!

seepage

"fine wines" indeed! *little leprechaun jig & racist accent*

Blue Jam

Quote from: Glebe on January 02, 2022, 05:27:47 PMDISCLAIMER: THE IRISH KNIGHTS IS MADE UP BULLSHIT AND THERE IS NO MENTION OF THEM ANYWHERE IN IRISH MYTHOLOGY OR FOLKLORE. SHOP SMART - SHOP ASDA!

NO

THE IRISH KNIGHTS WERE A NOBLE AND GALLANT ORDER OF HOTELIERS DEDICATED TO PROVIDING HOSPITALITY TO TOURISTS ON THEIR WAY TO KISSING THE BLARNEY STONE. THEY WORE ARMOUR BECAUSE THEY WERE JUST TOO BADASS FOR APRONS AND BOWTIES

DON'T TELL ME THEY'RE NOT REAL

seepage

FAMOUS IRISH KNIGHTS:

No. 34 : Sir Glebe of Glebe, Guardian of the Baileys

Glebe