Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Miranda (Comedy show)

Started by kalowski, January 02, 2022, 08:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I guess it's not really a hot take on CaB to utterly hate Miranda, but as my children have discovered it recently and got to love it I've been in the same room as it on a number of occasions.
And two things really annoy me.
1. The repeated jokes. Even though the other show we've been watching, Vic Reeve's Big Night Out, has its own share of repeated gags, I fucking "what I call" hate them in Miranda. The audience recognition when they hoot through another old gag (eg Heather Small, or pants fall down, or falls off a chair...) melts my little mind.
2. The physical comedy. OK, I'll give her some dues for trying it, but she's a poor physical comedian, with no timing. No timing at all.

I'm not expecting replies, I'm just writing this because there's an episode on right now in my front room.

The Guppy

Here is a reply. I'm glad I'm not in your front room or I would kick your telly into the wall, and I don't want to do that because I have nothing against you and don't want you to have to replace your telly. In summary: fuck Miranda, mumsnet personified.

kalowski

I've shoved my fingers into the nearest electric socket in the hope of either a swift or a slow lingering death. I don't mind as long as I die.

Captain Z

I like the one where she falls over

studpuppet

It's no Mrs Brown's Boys, that's for sure.

pigamus

The audience really did adore it though. I watched one where that bloke gets down on one knee and proposes to her and the noise they made was extraordinary. Never head aught like it.

shlug

Personally, I could live with it as the sort of shit-for-cunts bone the BBC need to throw out to safely and cheaply fill that time slot with anyone and everyone knowing full well it's a load of crap but just stick it on to fill the crushing void.

What irks me however is that audiences and seemingly all reviews across most outlets I've seen laud it as brilliant which honestly floors me as they'll happily slap the lowest common denominator label onto something like Mrs Brown's Boys with not even an ounce of irony. There's obvious reasons why that is (e.g. needless crudeness of MBB, class divide in their respective writers/audiences, the ""relatability"" of Miranda as a character) but still.

I'm not saying MBB is good either but I can say I've got more of a smirk maybe even a laugh from it than Miranda.

Probably more begrudged with Miranda than I should be as I rightly wrote it off as a load of shit when it was advertised way back, then saw reviews saying otherwise before learning the hard way that newspaper comedy reviewers aren't to be trusted.

madhair60

I enjoyed the first two series' of Miranda, thought she (Hart) was funny, enjoyed the tradness of it. Something my mum and me both liked, too, which is quite rare.

Don't remember S3 and the finale was bad

Alberon

When the first series was on the adverts made it look awful so me and Mrs Alberon avoided it. Then one evening we stumbled over a repeat and we laughed. Then caught up with the whole series.

We even ended up in the audience for one of the later shows (the one with Raymond Blanc).

I'm not going to pretend it's high art, it was going for imitating a knockabout 70s comedy sitcom and did so. And I do think that some of the physical comedy was very well executed - the go to example of Miranda's dress getting caught in the taxi car door for instance.

The end was really bad, but in general I liked it.

neveragain

I'm gonna go with "by no means great but doesn't make me feel angry when I'm watching it".

Quote from: pigamus on January 02, 2022, 10:46:22 PMthat bloke

He was the what annoyed me most about the show. I didn't mind watching it, it was OK.

Cold Meat Platter

Ash Sarkar brought this tweet to my attention by liking it

ishantbekeepingit

I still don't get it.  So she fancied Lucifer?

danwho9

Some of the earlier episodes are actually quite decent - the therapist office one definitely being the best, however there's quite a lot about Miranda that really fucking irritates me, especially how painfully unfunny Tom Ellis is in it and that it turned into a glorified romcom at the end. The last episode as I recall had no laughs whatsoever.

Mr_Simnock

oggyraiding

It's shit but she's got the funny bone. A born comedy performer.

Virgo76

Quote from: kalowski on January 02, 2022, 08:38:16 PM2. The physical comedy. OK, I'll give her some dues for trying it, but she's a poor physical comedian, with no timing. No timing at all.

I'm not expecting replies, I'm just writing this because there's an episode on right now in my front room.

Not sure why you didn't expect any replies!
No - I would politely but fiercely disagree on this point. She was and is an excellent physical comedian. Brilliant timing. Excellent pre-Fleabag asides to the camera. Very good at playing drunk in one episode.
I would go as far as to say the first series of this was actually great - very fresh, watchable and genuinely funny. Thereafter it tailed off - gradually at first, then very dramatically. As noted, the later Mark Heap episode was good (and not just because of him). Patricia Hodge excellent also.
As also mentioned, some of the final specials were unbelievably bad. Seemed to get stuck in a trap with the love triangle storyline. A shame.
Have noticed she really seems to get under the skin of some male viewers, particularly anyone with sexist attitudes towards women in comedy etc.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on January 03, 2022, 12:28:20 AMAsh Sarkar brought this tweet to my attention by liking it

"Live in a castle they can't afford to run"

I WEEP INTO MY FUCKING POVVO CUNT HANDS FOR THEM! THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS BBY!!!

kalowski

Christ, £42,000 a year it costs to send a child to that school.

mippy

I did like the radio version, Miranda Hart's Joke Shop.

Hex Triplet

Quote from: madhair60 on January 02, 2022, 11:50:57 PMI enjoyed the first two series' of Miranda, thought she (Hart) was funny, enjoyed the tradness of it. Something my mum and me both liked, too, which is quite rare.

Yeah, it's just a family comedy thing. My nieces really like it, silly childish kind of humour, it's fine. Miranda Hart seems like a nice person, as well. I don't know, probably rather watch it than Not Going Out or whatever other BBC shite is on.

Captain Z

Miranda played a central character in series 2 and 3 of Not Going Out. She left because she got her own show.

Fambo Number Mive

I loved watching Miranda when it was on, enjoyed Miranda in Not Going Out, and Miranda Hart seems like a good sort. I would like to see her bring back her sitcom as well.

Never watched her stand up to be fair.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Captain Z on January 04, 2022, 11:47:06 AMMiranda played a central character in series 2 and 3 of Not Going Out. She left because she got her own show.
In which she fell over and broke things. But only 3 minutes an episode.

I quite liked series 1 of Miranda, cosy good-natured comedy. The catchphrases were originally gently mocking her repetitious mother, and many of us will have a relative who's like a pull the string toy with only 3 phrases, but Miranda's character was soon just as bad. It could have had an original quirky voice but later it was so repetitive and watching herself literally throw herself at dream guy's feet every week was painful.

Miranda The Show did let her show a bit more range than in NGO but she seemed to decide falling over is where the easy money is. Stand-up I saw on tv was very mediocre. More an ensemble member than a star.

JesusAndYourBush

I liked her show but I can see why the OP might have been reluctant to start a thread about it because I've got the impression in the past that quite a few people on the site weren't too keen on it.

I liked the slapstick element of it, the breaking the 4th wall asides and glances at the camera, the catchphrases, Heather Small, etc, although the show did run out of steam a bit towards the end.  And as mentioned earlier, the therapists office episode is superb.

I'd like her to bring back her show, but not with those characters and premise, just do something different.

Fambo Number Mive

There's something quite relatable in the way Penny treats Miranda in the sitcom I find. Although it's not as harsh as many parents are to grown-up children in real life, the way Penny enjoys putting Miranda down and is annoyed that she can't live through Miranda's successes is definitely well observed. It's probably the darkest part of a very light sitcom.

Hex Triplet

Quote from: Captain Z on January 04, 2022, 11:47:06 AMMiranda played a central character in series 2 and 3 of Not Going Out. She left because she got her own show.

I actually didn't know that because despite my declaration of Not Going Out as "shite" I have never seen it because I don't care for Le Mack. It was more a general BBC sitcom example I was going for.

Virgo76

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 04, 2022, 11:56:56 AMIn which she fell over and broke things. But only 3 minutes an episode.

Did she really fall over a lot in Not Going Out? Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't remember her doing so at all.

Virgo76

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 04, 2022, 02:48:39 PMI liked her show but I can see why the OP might have been reluctant to start a thread about it because I've got the impression in the past that quite a few people on the site weren't too keen on it.

But the OP clearly disliked it too?

The Lurker

The first time I watched an episode of Miranda, I wasn't really aware of her shtick and I dare say, I actually found it funny.

But when I watched two more episodes the whole falling over thing became very old quickly and the show became very predictable and I didn't bother to watch another one.