Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I liked how much Alex clearly enjoyed having Lady Leshurr as a contestant.

greencalx

That was a fun hour (just caught up, as 9pm is past child's bedtime, and yes, he does watch the unbleeped version). Had low expectations: Warsi has been a low point on HIGNFY (even by the dire standards of modern-day HIGNFY) and I didn't hold out much hope for Chiles, but as soon as his prize task choice came out I felt we could be in for a decent ride. Warsi managed to not annoy me, and Leshurr was great - the whole thing with the salmon is the kind of thing we've been missing from regular TM for a while. Johnnie gave good laughs for trying to make a spectacle of it. Even the shit attempts at the tasks were mostly entertaining in their good-faith shitness.

If the S12 contestants had been faced with these tasks, they'd have mostly just
just in case people are reading this before watching
popped the egg in the cup in the least effort way possible, found some nitpicky way to not bother drinking any of the shots, and walked the shortest pole possible round the course without saying a word.
[close]

Hex Triplet

I enjoyed this but was slightly alarmed that Alan Davis appeared to have made a golliwog in the live task.

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 02, 2022, 04:23:56 PMI enjoyed this but was slightly alarmed that Alan Davis appeared to have made a golliwog in the live task.

I think there was a collective wince when that was revealed...

Loved Alex's mischievous jibe at Claudia in the live task too.

The Lurker

Fair play, really enjoyed that. All contestants good value,
Spoiler alert
Peacock spilling the vinegar is definitely something I'd do
[close]
, was strange at first seeing the show with an audience but it definitely help the show

greencalx

Quote from: The Lurker on January 02, 2022, 05:55:15 PM
Spoiler alert
Peacock spilling the vinegar is definitely something I'd do
[close]

Spoiler alert
Yeah! We really felt for him, having been the only one to spot Alex's hidden-in-plain-sight clue, and then to fuck it up like that. But great entertainment value.
[close]

selectivememory

It was alright. Decent tasks, and Chiles was great value. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing him in a full series after that, which is not something I anticipated saying.

No more Tories on it though please.

Thosworth

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 22, 2021, 10:24:48 AMIt was filmed months later and in front of a studio audience. I guess Alan just happened to be available, like when Kerry Godliman and Katherine Ryan replaced Katy Wix when she was ill in series 9.

Actually, she revealed in a podcast she suffered three bereavements over a couple years - her best friend, her father and then her mother during taping.

Captain Z

Despite wincing when somebody won 5 points for bringing in
Spoiler alert
their fucking music award
[close]
, I really enjoyed it. Can only echo the comments that the live audience and no distancing definitely helped, and the tasks were great. Still not convinced that non-comedians would be a good route to continue down.

olliebean

Quote from: Captain Z on January 03, 2022, 10:02:26 PMDespite wincing when somebody won 5 points for bringing in
Spoiler alert
their fucking music award
[close]

Especially as it was neither unwieldy (I did a Google image search to check how big they are, and found dozens of pictures of people wielding them), nor especially shiny (I think the picture they showed had been tweaked to make it look shinier than it is, and it still didn't look very shiny). Definitely not a deserving winner of that round.

Utter Shit

Really enjoyed that. Lady Leshurr is the perfect contestant for shows like this, completely unfiltered bordering on unhinged at times.

Hex Triplet

I would definitely have enjoyed seeing both Adrian Chiles and Lady Leshurr on a full series.

SteveDave

Why was Lady Tory on this? Does she do a lot of telly?

olliebean

She's been on HIGNFY a few times. Don't think I've seen her on any other light entertainment stuff.

If I didn't know she was an arsehole Tory I'd say she was pretty good on this, the Adrian Chiles ball was great and she threw herself into the egg cup task.

I was also on Alan Davies side last series and thought he wasn't as bad as others said, quite warm and likeable, but I've just heard his weird Man City rant from the other day where he comes across like some kind of mad xenophobe and can see the 'nasty' side that was referenced earlier in the thread.

C_Larence

Quote from: olliebean on January 04, 2022, 08:04:41 PMShe's been on HIGNFY a few times. Don't think I've seen her on any other light entertainment stuff.

She was on (and won) a channel 4 show last year where 5 celebrities competed for charity to see who could perform the best stand up. She beat Shaun Ryder, Reverend Richard Coles, Curtis Pritchard and Katie McGlynn.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: thelittlemango on January 04, 2022, 08:51:28 PMThis is the Alan Davies clip for those who haven't heard it, quite unhinged:

https://twitter.com/cityreport_/status/1478385828179107844?t=c3dBsy91ukZvp81ZcCemRA&s=19

Fucking hell. That's pretty horrendous.

Has that been discussed in this thread?

Utter Shit

I don't think there's much wrong with what he's saying until the very last sentence. I mean it's pretty clear that his anger is about the damage their money is doing to the league rather than the fact that they are foreign. Obviously he's a huge hypocrite given that Arsenal are owned by billionaires too (as are most major clubs nowadays), but I don't think it's xenophobic, despite the casual stereotype at the end.

Hat FM

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 05, 2022, 10:22:46 AMI don't think there's much wrong with what he's saying until the very last sentence. I mean it's pretty clear that his anger is about the damage their money is doing to the league rather than the fact that they are foreign. Obviously he's a huge hypocrite given that Arsenal are owned by billionaires too (as are most major clubs nowadays), but I don't think it's xenophobic, despite the casual stereotype at the end.
sadly arsenal's billionaire owner knows better than to spend his own cash but we shouldn't really turn this into a football thread. tbf its just the kind of rant that the tuesday club's alan davies, rather than QI's alan davies, is known for and part of what made the podcast popular. I think he is just fed up withthe man city situation as an arsenal fan.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 05, 2022, 10:22:46 AMI don't think there's much wrong with what he's saying until the very last sentence. I mean it's pretty clear that his anger is about the damage their money is doing to the league rather than the fact that they are foreign. Obviously he's a huge hypocrite given that Arsenal are owned by billionaires too (as are most major clubs nowadays), but I don't think it's xenophobic, despite the casual stereotype at the end.

I couldn't disagree more, I think the whole thing is xenophobic, and fucking horrible as well.

Captain Z

I just think it's hilarious how he changes his voice to 'pwoppa footbaw bloke'. If I didn't know who it belonged to, I would say there was a 95% chance that person was bald.

mjwilson

Is there something in particular which set this off? I know City played Arsenal and fluked a win, but when Davies says "to come here with that attitude to football, that attitude to the opposition, that attitude to the opposition fans, that attitude to Arsenal itself..." is he referring to any particular incident?

Not that it would make it much better, just wondering what caused it all to kick off.

(Has he never heard of 606?)

BeardFaceMan

"Get out of our league", "you're not wanted here", talking about Arsenal being an institution "in this country", I think it's pretty clear what he's saying and that last sentence wasn't an out-of-step-with-the-rest-of-his-rant comment, it was the full stop to his point.

Hat FM

I think if a bunch of englishmen had come along and spent more than £1bn in less than ten years on man city he would feel the same way tbh. i do enjoy the difference between his football podcast persona and his genial taskmaster presence though!

Enzo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 05, 2022, 07:59:20 PM"Get out of our league", "you're not wanted here", talking about Arsenal being an institution "in this country", I think it's pretty clear what he's saying and that last sentence wasn't an out-of-step-with-the-rest-of-his-rant comment, it was the full stop to his point.

are you a football fan?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Enzo on January 09, 2022, 12:28:09 AMare you a football fan?

No, if I want to watch grown men get paid to fall over I'll watch You've Been Framed.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Hat FM on January 05, 2022, 10:05:47 PMI think if a bunch of englishmen had come along and spent more than £1bn in less than ten years on man city he would feel the same way tbh.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have told them to "Get out of our league", "you're not wanted here" etc

Enzo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2022, 12:47:05 AMNo, if I want to watch grown men get paid to fall over I'll watch You've Been Framed.

That's fair enough, but you're missing massive subtext (on many points) in Davies' comments on an explicitly partisan football podcast and coming to your own conclusions based on a completely superficial reading.

Enzo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 09, 2022, 09:42:16 PMI'm pretty sure he wouldn't have told them to "Get out of our league", "you're not wanted here" etc

he would, to be fair.