Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Other One

Started by Mobius, January 08, 2022, 04:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I've just been watching The Other One on Britbox today. Rebecca Front's husband (Michael from Alan Partridge) dies, and she realises he was having a 30 year affair with Siobhan Finneran and they had a daughter (Lauren Socha) the same age as her daughter (Ellie White) thought I'd give it a go because I'd just finished rewatching Stath Let's Flats and Ellie was great in it

Anyway I'm enjoying it. Great cast, funny, quite sweet too. Just wondering what everyone thinks and if you happen to have seen it, what was that weird accent Stephen Tomkinson did in that one episode

Bently Sheds

Yeah, me & Mrs Sheds both enjoyed it. I thought that Tomkinson was doing a sort of Paul McCartney impression.

paruses

Really enjoyed it but had completely forgotten that's what it is called. I generally find Lauren Socha a very engaging force. Can't remember that much about it but would happily rewatch. The accent was weird.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. It was quite nice seeing Ellie White and the other one gradually bond together.There was an episode in which Caroline Quentin played Rebecca Front's wimpy sister, and I thought she was a bit miscast.

Ok, cheers.

Mobius

Quote from: Bently Sheds on January 08, 2022, 07:16:11 AMYeah, me & Mrs Sheds both enjoyed it. I thought that Tomkinson was doing a sort of Paul McCartney impression.

Ohh, yeah I can hear that. Just seemed a bit of a ridiculous performance but he was funny in episode 6 which I just watched.

I haven't seen Lauren Socha since Misfits but she's very good

notjosh

Not seen this but I've seen The Other One.

Malcy

Enjoyed it. I'm sure there was a second series commissioned but haven't heard anything.

Blinder Data

I want a second series of this. Clever writing, funny, moving and good performances (personally I thought Caroline Quentin was great in her role).

Holly Walsh is very underrated. If you liked The Other One, you'd probably enjoy Dead Boss which she wrote with Sharon Horgan in 2012. It was of a similar quality and style - and, possibly like The Other One, cancelled after one series :(

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Malcy on January 08, 2022, 03:25:06 PMEnjoyed it. I'm sure there was a second series commissioned but haven't heard anything.

Originally, it was planned to be shown towards the end of last year but filming only started around that time. There was some reporting at the time but I don't think there was an indication of when it will be shown.

Going from memory, I don't think a reason was given for the delay but would assume it was covid related. In any case, it was good to see that production had started.

(Edit - https://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2021/07/22/48866/cameras_roll_on_the_second_series_of_the_other_one)

Malcy

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 20, 2022, 01:40:09 PMOriginally, it was planned to be shown towards the end of last year but filming only started around that time. There was some reporting at the time but I don't think there was an indication of when it will be shown.

Going from memory, I don't think a reason was given for the delay but would assume it was covid related. In any case, it was good to see that production had started.

(Edit - https://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2021/07/22/48866/cameras_roll_on_the_second_series_of_the_other_one)

Nice one, I was sure it had been commissioned.

Malcy

Mobius

They must have had their timings off or banged out Series 2 REALLY FAST because it airs this week (Friday, after HIGNFY)

THE OTHER ONE: After two years, a welcome return for Holly Walsh's sitcom about two half-sisters Cathy (Ellie White) and Cat (Lauren Socha), who only discovered one another existed after their dad dropped dead - and he was exposed as a bigamist. Series two kicks off with them reeling from the news they also have a brother, Callum, and that Cathy just snogged him... Siobhan Finneran and Rebecca Front also star. BBC One, 9.30pm

Malcy

That is fast! Hopefully can binge it all on Friday.

Des Wigwam

I thought I had posted my hot take on this about 2 hours ago: "I am looking forward this. Thanks".

Am genuinely interested to see how they take a twist that's exactly the same as the main premise further.

On the subject of speed - there's a couple of things I've seen recently that I assumed must have been filmed and shelved due to the speed they've appeared but the Covid identifiers of extras in masks suggest otherwise. Can't for the life of me name them right now though.

Virgo76

Looking forward to it. Really enjoyed Series 1.

Mobius

I think it's out but being outside of the uk I can't use bbc iplayer so hoping this pops up somewhere soon!

Tony Tony Tony

Been looking forward to this immensely, particularly as both myself and Mrs TTT enjoyed the first series together. As all of series two has dropped on iPlayer that'll be Saturday night sorted.

Enjoy anything with Siobhan Finneran where she does her comedy bonkers woman for which she seems to have cornered the market somewhat (see the magnificent Alma's not normal).

Checking out the iPlayer noticed something of an oddity in that over the two series there are 12 episodes though split into 7 for series 1 and 5 for series 2. Although this really shouldn't matter, it offends my (mild) OCD, so can anyone put my mind at rest with an explanation of this lopsided approach?

Edit: Writing about Alma's not Normal above set me off aGoogling to discover a second series is now in pre-production. Huzzah.

Mobius

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 07, 2022, 05:33:41 AMSiobhan Finneran

She's so brilliant. Absolutely love her, wish she was me mam.

Enjoying series 2 but finding the new brother not very good compared to the 2 sisters who are great.

Malcy

Watched it all last weekend and thought it was great. It's well cast.

Mobius

Is the whole series out? I've been downloading it each week via dodgy means as I'm outside of the UK, wonder why they haven't uploaded all of the episodes in that case.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobius on May 15, 2022, 11:19:10 PMIs the whole series out? I've been downloading it each week via dodgy means as I'm outside of the UK, wonder why they haven't uploaded all of the episodes in that case.

Yeah it all went up on the iPlayer the day of the first episode.

Mobius

Nice, I'll have a proper look later then, cheers! I've only just watched episode 2.

Des Wigwam

Halfway through first ep of S2 now and dropped straight back into it. Everyone is really good but love Ellie and Lauren's chemistry.

Virgo76

Enjoyed it.
Any reason why there were five episodes rather than the usual six?
Thought Caroline Quentin was great in both series.
This could probably run to a third series.

Loved the little look to camera with the energy drink.

Blinder Data

The scripts for series 2 felt much weaker than last time. Or maybe the first series isn't as good as I thought it was? Not helped by poor choices of actors for brother and new other woman.

Enjoyable moments but it felt much broader and more obvious. Bit of a shame - can't see myself going back for a third series based on that.