Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Would I Lie To You: Season 15

Started by The Lurker, December 20, 2021, 04:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Seems to have gone under the radar? New series starts tonight with a Christmas special and then continues on January 7th.

Tonight's panel is Rose Matafeo, Jim Broadbent, Angela Rippon and Ardal O'Hanlon.

Looks like a good line up this series which, for whatever reason, my iPad isn't letting me copy and paste over

After a few terrible series, the last one was unexpectedly brilliant. Even the non-comedy guests were nearly all great. Here's hoping for more of the same.

greencalx

Thanks for this. It had gone under my radar because none of the online TV guides I use give any indication of whether a show is a first broadcast or a repeat, and when it comes to WILTY it's almost always the latter. Will give it a spin on the iPlayer later.

greencalx

Ardal O'Hanlon was pretty good on that. Maybe bodes well for Taskmaster?

Quote from: greencalx on December 21, 2021, 08:00:09 PMArdal O'Hanlon was pretty good on that. Maybe bodes well for Taskmaster?

I thought the same.

Spoiler alert
Fairly decent episode, though Jim Broadbent's this is my item was always going to be true because there was no way that cushion was something the props department had knocked up. And I thought they could've given Rose Matafeo a more interesting lie to tell.
[close]

g0m

Quote from: greencalx on December 21, 2021, 08:00:09 PMArdal O'Hanlon was pretty good on that. Maybe bodes well for Taskmaster?

I certainly think so!

paruses

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 20, 2021, 04:41:37 PMAfter a few terrible series, the last one was unexpectedly brilliant. Even the non-comedy guests were nearly all great. Here's hoping for more of the same.

I tended to just watch compilation clips on YouTube after the last one I saw where Joe Lycett's one was "I had an argument with my sister over how many duff-duffs there are in the Eastender's theme". It was unsalvageable.

Endicott

That was sort of alright, but the stories mostly lacked depth, or maybe its that they were hardly challenged in any detail. Bit light weight, really. And getting Angela Rippon to do the high kick is pretty lazy.

paruses

Quote from: Endicott on December 23, 2021, 01:12:23 PMThat was sort of alright, but the stories mostly lacked depth, or maybe its that they were hardly challenged in any detail. Bit light weight, really. And getting Angela Rippon to do the high kick is pretty lazy.

Yea - that was literally the story. As you say there was nothing to it and nowhere to go. The round was some weak dinner party arguing over the correct number. The kind of thing that kicks off in an office and people love to pretend their belligerent* opinion is the cornerstone of their world view - like arguing over if scone is pronounced scone or scone. Maybe I was hard on it because that kind of shit is the height of tedium for me.

* wow - who knew that had two Ls in it?

greencalx

Yeah, apart from O'Hanlon and the usual Bryson/Mitchell/Mack schtick, the rest was thin gruel.

This started on Friday. John Cooper Clarke was great, the others weren't. I don't think it's necessarily the contestants' fault though - the writers need to be giving them better lies to work with. 

Bob's on next week.

BritishHobo

Spoiler regarding the 'This is my...' round:
Spoiler alert
If you want to see Chris in action, this is his episode of Step Up To The Plate: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000sldh Timestamp 16:30.
[close]

greencalx

You can understand some of the truths being a bit rubbish, constrained as they are by reality, but as you say, some of the lies don't give the contestants much to extemporise around.

Quote from: greencalx on January 09, 2022, 02:09:56 PMYou can understand some of the truths being a bit rubbish, constrained as they are by reality

True, but it's the producers' responsibility to get guests with good anecdotes. Or at least guests who've got the chops to turn an ok truth into a great one - nobody cares that Bob Mortimer or James Acaster's stories are obviously heavily embellished.

On the other side of the coin, Friday's episode makes you worry about Judi Love's involvement in Taskmaster 13.

The Lurker

Yeah, John Cooper Clarke was good. I thought Chris McCausland was very funny too but
Spoiler alert
the 'This is my round' was obviously going to be Chris. If either of those situations happened to Judi or David, they wouldn't have kept in touch with the little girl.
[close]

olliebean

Bob Mortimer is on this coming Friday, btw.

Old Thrashbarg

I thought I'd missed at least one series of this as I couldn't remember watching a new series as recently as last year. But looking at the line-ups I must've watched it, with there being guests who I've definitely seen who have only appeared once.

Looks like there's an appearance from Mike Wozniak coming up in this series. He feels like a perfect guest.

g0m

watching the one with bob on it now

The Lurker

Caught up on last Friday's episode, I knew the mystery guest answer due to a previous CaB post

A bobbins series up until tonight's episode (Richard Osman, Sarah Kendall, Pam Ayres and Kiell Smith-Bynoe), which was great fun.

I really don't know what the ingredients are that make a good episode of this. I used to think it was having great comedians, and then I thought it was good lies. But tonight's show only had one standup, and the stories weren't particularly good - yet everyone was having a whale of a time and there were plenty of big laughs.

Steven88

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 04, 2022, 11:38:29 PMA bobbins series up until tonight's episode (Richard Osman, Sarah Kendall, Pam Ayres and Kiell Smith-Bynoe), which was great fun.

I really don't know what the ingredients are that make a good episode of this. I used to think it was having great comedians, and then I thought it was good lies. But tonight's show only had one standup, and the stories weren't particularly good - yet everyone was having a whale of a time and there were plenty of big laughs.

I think it's been a decent series so far, the Bob Mortimer and Chris McCausland episodes have been the highlights.

Another good one tonight. Mike Wozniak was great value.

Hex Triplet

Lee Mack's shite Christmas cracker level puns are really starting to grate.

Hex Triplet

Alan Titchmarsh looks like an animatronic bear that plays the banjo in the canteen at a deserted German amusement park.

BritishHobo

Proper manic end-of-term atmosphere on the latest episode. That kind of mood where nobody actually gets to the end of any of their sentences because everyone is so ready to jump in. Good fun.

Captain Z

Saved the best till last with Bob Mortimer in the 'unseen bits' final episode.

greencalx

Malcy

Has anyone watched the Australian version that started recently? I have it but every time I go to watch it I'm out off by the fact it's an HOUR long. Should just watch it in chunks really.

Ross Noble on the first one.

the science eel

Quote from: greencalx on April 02, 2022, 08:36:39 PMArdal's tale was a fun one too.

It was,
Spoiler alert
but I believed it all the way, and thought maybe it was an uncharacteristic (for the show) semi-serious comment on the pressures of fame. More fool me.

But it was sweet and sad more than comic, and you could almost sense a bit of relief when it turned out to be a lie.
[close]
Ardal made it work. Love that man.

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on April 03, 2022, 10:17:09 AMHas anyone watched the Australian version that started recently? I have it but every time I go to watch it I'm out off by the fact it's an HOUR long. Should just watch it in chunks really.

Ross Noble on the first one.

I had no idea there was an Aussie version. I'll have a look for it. (Though I did watch the Aussie TV version of The Unbelievable Truth a while back.)

I see there's also a US version about to start, as well as a short-lived NZ version and several foreign language versions.