Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 25, 2021, 12:32:20 PMYeah, reading the last few posts (and the Mr Porky's thread) make me think that perhaps Johnny Muslim has the right idea.

Johnny Morris

There goes Master Passfast the farmer.  "Hello pigs"  "Hello farmer, snort."  And now he's heading up his little staircase to his ingenious toiletting overhang device, underneath which the pigs will patiently wait.

"Do we have much longer to wait, husband pig?"

"Hopefully not much longer, wife pig."

And now the baby pigs have heard the commotion and are bounding around in anticipation.  "Ooh, mummy pig, daddy pig, will the human shit fall down soon into our play area?"

"Hopefully not much longer now, little ones."

sovietrussia

Skeletal ITV pitch side reporter Gabriel Clarke is the son of trailblazing TV and film director Alan Clarke.

dissolute ocelot

Clintons. His dad was a wealthy paper company executive. I guess I assumed Clinton Jr grew up on a ranch. This is more like the renegade I imagine: "he attended Piedmont High School (California), but was asked to leave for writing an obscene suggestion to a school official on the athletic field scoreboard and for burning an effigy on the school lawn, on top of other school infractions."

pigamus

olliebean

Quote from: pigamus on December 30, 2021, 11:38:03 AMYou can play YouTube videos at different speeds.

With the right browser addon, you can play any online video at different speeds.

seepage

I just spotted that too. I found x 1.5 was ideal for most stuff in VLC so I'll give it a go in YT.

George White

There was a 1992 sitcom pilot for CBS based on Driving Miss Daisy...
Starring Robert Guillaume
and
DAME JOAN PLOWRIGHT  as Miss Daisy.

With laughter track and all.

the Fallen

Just got the title of John Lennon's book

A pun on In His Own Right

Couple of dozen generations spent just thinking he was weirdo

Ferris

The "water resistance" shit on watches is absolute nonsense.

Something rated for use at 30m is actually only ever tested at depths of 10cm, and is functionally so useless that the international body who rate all this stuff advise it's probably "not suitable for showering".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark#Water_resistance_classification

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on January 08, 2022, 11:12:25 PMThe "water resistance" shit on watches is absolute nonsense.

Something rated for use at 30m is actually only ever tested at depths of 10cm, and is functionally so useless that the international body who rate all this stuff advise it's probably "not suitable for showering".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark#Water_resistance_classification

At my primary school in the late 80s there were kids lucky enough to have digital watches and they'd boast and argue without end about who had the best water resistance.

One playground argument I distinctly remember was a kid who insisted that the words WATER RESIST on the face of his watch = greater water resistance than anyone who had the words WATER RESISTANT on theirs.

Anyone else recall anything similar?

Seems Casio had all the WATER RESIST watches:

All the other brands were embarrassingly lumbered with the infinitely substandard WATER RESISTANT lettering:

Replies From View

^ 50m on that Casio, mate.

Gonna get me one of those mixed gas diver's watches.  Can never be too careful!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on January 09, 2022, 04:17:21 PMAt my primary school in the late 80s there were kids lucky enough to have digital watches and they'd boast and argue without end about who had the best water resistance.

One playground argument I distinctly remember was a kid who insisted that the words WATER RESIST on the face of his watch = greater water resistance than anyone who had the words WATER RESISTANT on theirs.

Anyone else recall anything similar?

Seems Casio had all the WATER RESIST watches:

All the other brands were embarrassingly lumbered with the infinitely substandard WATER RESISTANT lettering:

Late 80s stroke early 90s kid here, and I don't remember any discussions around water resist versus water resistant because the main arguments were between "other watches" and "that watch from Argos that can control tellies".

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on January 09, 2022, 04:17:21 PMSeems Casio had all the WATER RESIST watches:

But only some of them specify the depth to which they resist water. How does that make any sense?

Ferris

If you had a Timex instead of a Casio I think it's reasonable to say you're a disgusting weirdo who should be locked away from society (preferably forever).

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on January 09, 2022, 05:24:03 PMBut only some of them specify the depth to which they resist water. How does that make any sense?

It's like nonstick pans. They often don't specify what won't stick to them, leaving people who cook with Araldite permanently confused.

olliebean

Seems to me that waterproof would trump both water resistant and water resist. Hence my pac-a-mac was better than you and your mates' watches.

touchingcloth

I don't want anything I own to prove water, I want it to resist water. Like I don't want the doors of my house to prove that intruders exist, I prefer that they resist their coming in.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on January 09, 2022, 05:24:03 PMBut only some of them specify the depth to which they resist water. How does that make any sense?

Because children in playgrounds like to argue that the thing they have is the best one, and will use as evidence any difference they can find between themselves.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on January 09, 2022, 05:25:31 PMIf you had a Timex instead of a Casio I think it's reasonable to say you're a disgusting weirdo who should be locked away from society (preferably forever).

Anything that wasn't a Casio had WATER RESISTANT, in fact maybe some Casio watches had WATER RESISTANT on them as well.

And all of these, Casio included, were inferior to those bearing the words WATER RESIST.  Don't believe me?  Ask the appropriate kid in St Stephen's School playground in 1989 - can't remember his name.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 09, 2022, 05:51:49 PMI don't want anything I own to prove water, I want it to resist water. Like I don't want the doors of my house to prove that intruders exist, I prefer that they resist their coming in.

But before you can repel something you need to prove it's there.  Otherwise you would waste crucial funding on THREATS THAT EXIST NOT

the Fallen

I have a digital Casio

It survives baths. I can't swim so, if it isn't totally waterproof well neither am i

MojoJojo

The word rastafarian comes from "Ras Tafari Makonnen", the pre-regnal title of the late Haile Selassie.

dissolute ocelot

QuoteRobins and great tits have been found to catch bumblebees, rub them on branches to remove the stings, and then to peck out the insides!
Bumblebee Conservation Trust making me want to see bees get eaten.

famethrowa

Dex Sawash

You can cut down a SIM card to make it function in a smaller slot as the chip is quite small and I guess pin spacing must be the same. Unless many people on reddit are conspiring to have CaB laugh at me which would also be amazing.

pigamus

Considered that meself recently but I knew I'd fuck it up

I just wish proper sim cards had a proper name, it would make the search for the right phone much easier