Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry January 2022

Started by Ferris, January 01, 2022, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crenners

Had a nice Tonkoko stout.

seepage

Quote from: icehaven on January 08, 2022, 05:04:11 PMGenuine question to dry Januariers, do you bother with alcohol-free wine or spirits and if so why? Even if you particularly like the taste doesn't it feel a bit toothless and pointless, or do you still get a bit of a psychosomatic buzz? And aren't they a bit expensive considering they're soft drinks so won't be taxed like booze?

I used to buy Torres Natureo muscat wine and thought it was the best of a bad bunch. It was dryer than the competition but being muscat was still 'medium dry' and had neither the weight of 'proper' wine nor the refreshment of water, so I'd glug a load and feel less refreshed than when I started, probably like drinking seawater. Yes, considering there was no duty to be paid it was expensive.   

pancreas

I just abandoned a non-alcoholic beer when it eventually dawned on me that it tasted of bin juice.

shoulders

Quote from: pancreas on January 09, 2022, 07:13:02 PMI just abandoned a non-alcoholic beer when it eventually dawned on me that it tasted of bin juice.

Hazy pale?

imitationleather

I imagine that if a non-alcoholic beer tasted of shoulders' bin juice it'd... Taste exactly like real beer!

pancreas

Ferris

Does anyone care enough for me to talk about 0% beer? I'm not sure I care enough myself tbh. Basically there's a few ways to brew it, and I find the cheaper methods to be a better approximation of the style of beer they usually go for.

That said, non alcoholic beer is not beer and won't taste like it, ever, so if you're drinking it as a 1 for 1 replacement you will be disappointed. If you're drinking it as something to drink that isn't water (like ya boy Ferris) it's alright.

Best ones - grolsch 0.0%, supermarket own brand "red" or "brown", everything else is shit and tastes of honey (cheap brewing process poorly executed), or very thin and slightly acrid (expensive method done poorly).

Ok cheers.

TrenterPercenter

I would like to know more about ginger beer and why all ginger beer is so powerful weak nowadays.  Anyone found any good stuff?

Crenners

@TrenterPercenter Still can't beat genuine fair dinkum Bundaberg for me, albeit there's probably half a pound of sugar every bottle.

Re: alcohol free beer, I quite like the isotonic Erdinger effort, doesn't really taste like beer but it's quite a nice refreshing malty replacement.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on January 09, 2022, 08:09:31 PM@TrenterPercenter Still can't beat genuine fair dinkum Bundaberg for me, albeit there's probably half a pound of sugar every bottle

I like the Bundies but they are not fiery I'm looking for boiling hot Texas style ginger ale.

Crenners

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 09, 2022, 08:37:22 PMI like the Bundies but they are not fiery I'm looking for boiling hot Texas style ginger ale.

Yeah, that's true. I would also love some scorching GB but still fizzy and ice cold and sweet. What a drink. You got me thirsting for it now.

Luscombe Hot GB sounds good and might do the trick for you. I'm going to order some.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on January 09, 2022, 09:04:17 PMYeah, that's true. I would also love some scorching GB but still fizzy and ice cold and sweet. What a drink. You got me thirsting for it now.

Luscombe Hot GB sounds good and might do the trick for you. I'm going to order some.

hold up. I had one of those yesterday it wasn't that hot looked the biz though very cloudy and intimidating but I was left disappointed.

Jockice

I don't drink, so I don't care.

But I did get pissed for the first time in over a decade in November. It was after a funeral and everyone else was on the sauce so I thought I might as well. Did shots and everything.

It was okay. I didn't even have a hangover. I may try it again someday.

Crenners

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 09, 2022, 09:15:47 PMhold up. I had one of those yesterday it wasn't that hot looked the biz though very cloudy and intimidating but I was left disappointed.

Damn, OK, cheers for the heads up. I'll probably find some homemade middle class hobbyist GB at a farmer's market that will blow my tits off, and never find it again.

TrenterPercenter

This is dry thing really shouldn't start with complete abstinence imo.

Alcohol isn't bad for you in moderation, recommended 14 units a week so about a pint a day or a glass of wine - a pint or a glass of wine isn't going to get you pissed either so you should just be able to have that and it still count as "dry".

Guzzling a cola is pretty much the same impact on the old liver as well so I'm not sure what the great win is over a solitary beer.

Cuntbeaks

For some aggressive Ginger Beer action, try the Belvoir cordial diluted with ice cold soda water. More cordial = more aggression.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on January 10, 2022, 12:40:23 AMFor some aggressive Ginger Beer action, try the Belvoir cordial diluted with ice cold soda water. More cordial = more aggression.

Liking the sound of this.

shiftwork2

Tonic and angostura bitters.

seepage

Willie Rushton recommended ginger ale + cucumber as an approximation of a beer taste.

pancreas

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 10, 2022, 08:40:53 AMTonic and angostura bitters.

This is sound advice. Any bitters, actually. Cucumber is just delightful.

Ferris

Don't think I've bought bitters since I had a pink gin phase circa 2014.

poo

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on January 10, 2022, 12:40:23 AMFor some aggressive Ginger Beer action, try the Belvoir cordial diluted with ice cold soda water. More cordial = more aggression.

Good idea.  Might just neck it neat.

Can I just check we are all pronouncing Belvoir correctly, as for years I was always saying, like lots of others I know, "Bell Vou-Wa", it's actually pronounce "Beevar" as is Belvoir Castle or Beevar  Castle where it is from (Maggie Thatcher country).

I always think Beaver Castle sounds like the name of some awful 1970s Brit-sex comedy.

katzenjammer

I'm still in. Found it pretty easy so far. Very much enjoying the lack of hangovers and improved sleep but missing the relaxation of an evening drink. I've been drinking Mahou sin (without) alcohol instead but was wondering if I was cheating because it's got 1% alcohol so did the customary Google. Turns out loads of food and drink has a bit of alcohol in it

https://steadydrinker.com/articles/foods-drinks-alcohol/

What's that about then?

Looks like you should be able to get nicely oiled with a bag of burger baps

Ferris

The improved sleep is the main reason I'm still going. Used to go to bed at 10.30/11 and still feel knackered the next day. Now I can stay up til 1 mucking about and feel reasonably ok next day. The longer evening is really nice, bit more time to meself.

Ideally I'll move back to only drinking on weekends and staying dry through the week but we'll see.

Ferris

Trying not to post in here every day (it's not a fucking blog) but I'll bump the thread once a week or so.

In line with previous years, around day 8 I have a wobble and nearly buy booze out of habit (because cor I'd murder a pint). Past that now, and it's been plain sailing since which is reassuring.

Still doing weights and running and I've lost a bit of weight which is nice, and I have more energy and willingness to do stuff (like exercise) in general. I'd like to keep that up and maybe only drink once a week - bookmark that for when I return to being a wasteman in March.

Ferris

Crumbled, had two beers, one is Franconia, yes lads.

Ferris

Lord above I'm absolutely bladdered after 2 cans. Pathetic.

Straight and narrow can start tomorrow morning (again).

poo

Nothing more boring than people talking about how healthy they are. Hope you're all dead by next Jan.

Ham Bap

Didnt commit to Dry January. It's the absolute worst month of the year after Christmas with all its sparkling lights, delightful food and drink, decorated rooms, time off work, drinking champagne for breakfast.

Then January, dark rooms, back to work, desolation.

However, I need to lose weight so im taking a break from booze until the middle of February so nothing now until that weekend of February 18th.
Solely to lose weight. I just cant do it when im drinking. I end up eating bread and crisps when im drinking and id continue to hoover all the Christmas chocolate into me.

Didnt bother drinking anything this past weekend and it was grand. Here's to another couple of dry weekends.