Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:44:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Matrix Resurrections

Started by Bad Ambassador, December 06, 2021, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

So was Smith in the new one simply to "balance the equation" or whatever? That was one thing a rewatch of the other sequels seemed to imply, as he ended up doing fuck all in Resurrections.

The writers have also said they didn't change any lines from when Weaving was due to return, although I'm not sure how that would've worked as the "reveal" is about the only interesting thing about the character this time round.

Replies From View

He turned up in the nick of time to save Neo and Trinity and say "well that's the last time I save you douchebags; don't ask me why I even did it" and fucked off

Why did he do that

13 schoolyards

My reading of it was that:

a): Smith was there because after all their fighting hijinx in the original trilogy it's no longer possible to have Neo without Smith - they're (somehow) intertwined, you bring Neo back and Smith pops up too.

b): Smith clearly didn't give a fuck about Neo and Trinity but most definitely wanted to give the Analyst a good kicking for trapping him in the Matrix as some software boss douchebag. His role in the final fight was more about making sure he wouldn't be trapped again rather than wanting to help Neo.

Shaky

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on January 10, 2022, 12:43:02 AMMy reading of it was that:

a): Smith was there because after all their fighting hijinx in the original trilogy it's no longer possible to have Neo without Smith - they're (somehow) intertwined, you bring Neo back and Smith pops up too.

Yeah, this is touched on in the other two sequels - if each iteration of the Matrix features "The One" anomaly, Smith is needed to balance things out - but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in Resurrections (although I was drunk for some of it). Feels likes he's just hanging around. Wonder if Weaving could've made more out of the part.

olliebean

Quote from: Shaky on January 09, 2022, 11:58:17 PMThe writers have also said they didn't change any lines from when Weaving was due to return, although I'm not sure how that would've worked as the "reveal" is about the only interesting thing about the character this time round.

Presumably he would still have been played by someone else at the outset, morphing into Weaving at the revelatory moment.

samadriel

I'm guessing it was meant to make some sort of point about the new Matrix ingratiating itself to Neo, having the new Smith calling him "Tom" and not being clad in the MIB outfit, but it just made him completely bland. I was glad NPH was a good bad guy, but making Smith boring is unforgivable.

I thought I'd written something on here after I saw it last year, but this has really soured on me. I enjoyed the first third with all the meta stuff, but once it entered the realm of the previous movies, it just showed off how inferior it was to them. Resurrections is better than the third movie, but I've had hangnails better than the third movie.

I liked the alliance between the bots and Io, but it didn't help clarify who was on what side; I left the movie completely confused as to who wanted what. Was the Analyst the new boss of the whole Matrix, or just a subset of it? Maybe just the bit of the Matrix that looks like San Francisco? If the bots can make more energy out of fewer people, is Io much bigger than Zion because the bots will be letting more people leave the Matrix? How many more? How much smaller is the Matrix under the current regime? Fuck it, I couldn't make head or tail of it. Trinity was good though

Custard

Quote from: phantom_power on January 07, 2022, 08:22:59 PMThe Half in the Bag review of this is pretty good. They equate it to Gremlins 2 in that it is also a commentary not just on the original film but the reputation, fans and legacy. Not as fun as G2 obviously, but I think made in a similar "fuck it" spirit

Yeah, I enjoyed that very much too. And in a way it's made me like and appreciate the new film more

Ferris

Released on iTunes, 2.5hrs? Fucking hell!

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 07:14:36 PMReleased on iTunes, 2.5hrs? Fucking hell!

That's nothing!  TDK HS240 tapes go all the way up to 4 hours!!

Ferris

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on January 14, 2022, 08:09:12 PMThat's nothing!  TDK HS240 tapes go all the way up to 4 hours!!

Christopher Nolan went too far with that one.

Replies From View

Not sure what this is, but the clips they're showing look better than the new Matrix film.

Replies From View

Ah, they're from the introduction to a new computer game.

Pretty good, but CGI people continue to have dead eyes.

Shaky

Yeah, it's basically a 20 min interactive graphics showcase. The CG Reevesy at the beginning is pretty astonishing, Wonder if they'll bother expanding to a full game after the relative failure of Resurrections.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shaky on January 23, 2022, 12:40:05 AMYeah, it's basically a 20 min interactive graphics showcase. The CG Reevesy at the beginning is pretty astonishing, Wonder if they'll bother expanding to a full game after the relative failure of Resurrections.

He's not a CGI Keanu Reeves throughout.  I perceived the join, but here you go:

beanheadmcginty

Still can't get blinking right in CGI. I wonder why it's so difficult.

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on January 24, 2022, 10:55:55 AMMouths too

Even the clothes look pretty stiff in this, and we know that clothing can already be more effectively rendered in CGI.  So the moral of the story is that there are better mouths and eyelids out there, so don't give up hope kids.

Corridor Crew do some great analyses of CGI development and I'd be surprised if they didn't latch onto this Matrix thing quite soon.

AsparagusTrevor

It's not really CGI as we know it though, as in what you'd see in a Hollywood movie which has been pre-rendered at minutes/hours per frame on 10000's of dollars of hardware. It's all running in real-time on a game engine on a home console that anyone can buy (ignoring the difficulties in finding current gen consoles I mean). Flaws aside, it's quite astounding for that alone.

Replies From View

With "running in real-time" do you mean it's rendering it all from scratch each time?

But a lot of it is just plain recorded footage of Keanu Reeves, so surely it's simply playing a movie, to some extent?

I would have thought that up until the interactive element on the highway, you're looking at the equivalent of a cut scene with higher capabilities than the game play part will be.  But I know absolutely nothing about computer games.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Replies From View on January 24, 2022, 11:49:45 AMWith "running in real-time" do you mean it's rendering it all from scratch each time?

But a lot of it is just plain recorded footage of Keanu Reeves, so surely it's simply playing a movie, to some extent?

I would have thought that up until the interactive element on the highway, you're looking at the equivalent of a cut scene with higher capabilities than the game play part will be.

That's right, apart from the couple of video portions of Keanu at the start it's all generated by a Playstation 5 or an Xbox Series, including the recreated scenes from the first Matrix film.

They don't really need to be running all the non-interactive stuff in real time, but it's more like a proof of concept saying 'here's what we can do with game engines these days'. The fact that most of it isn't interactive and is locked-in does mean they can leverage a lot more of the system's power into the visuals, but it's a stepping stone towards the future.

Replies From View

I hope the Oliver Twins will take advantage of this.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on January 24, 2022, 11:12:28 AMCorridor Crew do some great analyses of CGI development and I'd be surprised if they didn't latch onto this Matrix thing quite soon.

yeah, corners of the eyes and mouth.

Otherwise this is a very simple environment and they've got a perfect reference there (not like they're doing a dead actor in a new setting) so they've got a head start making it look good

Replies From View

I wonder who got the job of reconstructing Carrie Anne Moss's 2003-era latex clad buttocks.

I wouldn't know how realistic those are because I have never even heard of them tbh.

badaids

The Matrix Discussions was fucking boring as hell.  Ridiculous amounts of exposition with fight scenes in-between and effects and scrapping worse than the original.

Replies From View

Quote from: badaids on February 18, 2022, 09:50:18 PMThe Matrix Discussions was fucking boring as hell.  Ridiculous amounts of exposition with fight scenes in-between and effects and scrapping worse than the original.

Are you describing the second film?

badaids

Quote from: Replies From View on February 19, 2022, 10:09:37 AMAre you describing the second film?

No, I am describing the latest one.  Absolute bollocks it was.

Replies From View

Quote from: badaids on February 19, 2022, 03:02:38 PMNo, I am describing the latest one.  Absolute bollocks it was.

To be fair, it's a Matrix sequel.  If you saw films 2 and 3 you should have gone in expecting 4/10 at best.

badaids

Quote from: Replies From View on February 19, 2022, 03:13:04 PMTo be fair, it's a Matrix sequel.  If you saw films 2 and 3 you should have gone in expecting 4/10 at best.

Well quite, but it wasn't even as good as that. Glad I didn't pay to see it.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on February 19, 2022, 03:13:04 PMTo be fair, it's a Matrix sequel.  If you saw films 2 and 3 you should have gone in expecting 4/10 at best.

Bloody hell, they're making 10 of them?