Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:48:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game On

Started by MrMrs, January 03, 2022, 11:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2022, 08:06:38 AMI disagree; it is the most tremendously subtle comedy on all of this entire earth.

You are a strange little man.

Gurke and Hare

2.4 Children is a bit of an odd way to start a list that's clearly supposed to be of cosy 80s relic sitcoms.

dead-ced-dead

I just finished season one and it improved incredibly from when I saw it as a teen.

I think at the time I wrote the show off as aspirational (who wouldn't want to move out of Herne Bay to London into a flat with Samantha Janus?) and therefore the laddie elements seemed noxious. But seeing it again, and noticing how bleak it is, and how Martin and Matt's laddiness is a smokescreen for their (especially Matt's) insecurities, the bleakness of it all is admirable.

I'm not usually a trad sitcom fan, so the nudge in the ribs gags were never going to work for me, and it never escapes the feeling of inauthenticity that it's written by a guy in his sixties. So those are two flaws, but I never thought 2022 was the year I'd re-evaluate Game On, so thanks C&B.

Ben Chaplin is great, of course, as mentioned in the thread and episodes 5 and 6 are benefitted from making him the lead and delving into his condition (especially crying during the gig). But Samantha Janus is also great. Such a good depiction of things having not worked out for her. A very sad performance.

Matthew Cottle is the weakest for me, but his gag delivery is still good. I think he suffers most from being a 20 something as written by a 60 something. Sometimes his woe is me puppy dog thing is a bit grating. He's the broadest of the three which I'm sure helps in the broader seasons 2 and 3.

I'm not sure if I'll continue past season one, but thinks for trip down old memory lane.

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 08, 2022, 01:43:51 PMYou are a strange little man.

Well you are rushing home to watch To The Manor Born.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on January 08, 2022, 04:34:06 PMWell you are rushing home to watch To The Manor Born.

I realise that now I'm sorry.

Replies From View

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on January 08, 2022, 02:07:52 PMBut Samantha Janus is also great.

Brilliant Garbage Pail Kids sticker too.

Replies From View

I wonder why they chose to recast Matt rather than say a new housemate had taken his place.

Starlit

Quote from: Replies From View on January 09, 2022, 06:13:24 PMI wonder why they chose to recast Matt rather than say a new housemate had taken his place.
I assume they felt there was plenty more milage in the not-leaving-the-flat angle, and the improbability of one such person moving out and being replaced by another with the same fairly rare (for sitcom leads anyway) condition would have jumped the shark.

Icehaven

Also the dynamic was they grew up together but now all lived in Matt's flat and he was the landlord, so offscreen he'd have had to be cured, moved, then they got someone else in who was also a tenant and it would have been a totally different show.

MrMrs

Two jokes in this show always confused me.

1 mandy talking about her date taking a drink but getting his mouth ready a few minutes early. Why did they do this?

2 the Yorkshire bedwetting author talking about his mum keeping a small tub of talcum powder under his bed sheet. Why would they do this?

Were these examples of the ancient cunt writing for 20 year olds?

2, the joke there is that she didn't bother cleaning the sheets, just propped up a tub of talc underneath them with the hope that that'd draw away the pissy moisture.

Number 1, I can't remember, it's been years since I saw the show. I think I'd need more details. Was he particularly thick or something? Maybe he wasn't spontaneous and dead boring or something?

MrMrs

Thanks

The gag was the date was really really old

Haha, I have seen old folk making the monkey face before the cup even starts it's long, slow doddery journey to their face, but yeah, that's a weird one.
It's pretty vague. It sounds like the sort of thing someone would say after they'd had him round for a cup of tea and the audience had already seen him drinking.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get that one either. Too high brow for us, this show.

Avril Lavigne

I started watching from the Neil Stuke series so I never liked the original Matthew because the actor never seemed to fit the character for me.

MrMrs

The knob in the vacuum thing is awful. Just ruins the episode. It doesn't even make sense. Anyone with a penis knows this.

purlieu

Quote from: somersetchris on January 07, 2022, 11:50:55 PMnot many sitcoms on that weren't 2.4 Children, Keeping Up Appearances etc.
What a bizarre pairing. I think 2point4 Children is probably due one of these threads soon, I rewatched it recently and it's bloody great: frequently surreal, often justifiably angry, some excellent pathos and usually hilarious.

Replies From View

2point4 children had a cast change an all

purlieu

Andrew Marshall never bothered to make a "I hate it when they change a main cast member without mentioning it" joke though, the useless bastard.

Proactive

"They're spunk, Dad."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on January 12, 2022, 08:11:55 AM2point4 children had a cast change an all

I think the man in that died very young decades ago.

Andy147

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 15, 2022, 03:25:47 AMI think the man in that died very young decades ago.

He (Gary Olsen) died not long after the show ended, but the cast change was the daughter (Clare Woodgate to Clare Buckfield).