Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Enzo on January 10, 2022, 02:12:44 AMhe would, to be fair.

He absolutely wouldn't, he would have no problem if it was Arsenal getting funded and winning everything. And he certainly wouldn't be moaning if it was an English billionaire doing it.

Quote from: Enzo on January 10, 2022, 02:06:41 AMThat's fair enough, but you're missing massive subtext (on many points) in Davies' comments on an explicitly partisan football podcast and coming to your own conclusions based on a completely superficial reading.

No, I used to be a football fan so I know exactly what he's talking about. His problem isn't the money, it's where it's coming from. English football fans and lazy xenophobia go hand-in-hand.

If there is a massive subtext on multiple points I'm not getting, can you share what they are?

KennyMonster

As an English football fan I must protest.

My xenophobia is extremely well crafted and complex.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Enzo on January 10, 2022, 02:12:44 AMhe would, to be fair.

Don't think he would, to be fair. I've never heard people talking about Salford (for example) or other teams who buy their way out of the conference and lower leagues in the way Davies talks about 'foreign' money.

BeardFaceMan

People were pissed off when Jack Walker bought the league for Blackburn, don't ever remember any talk of 'get out of our league' or 'you're not wanted here' though.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Hat FM on January 05, 2022, 03:59:43 PMsadly arsenal's billionaire owner knows better than to spend his own cash but we shouldn't really turn this into a football thread. tbf its just the kind of rant that the tuesday club's alan davies, rather than QI's alan davies, is known for and part of what made the podcast popular. I think he is just fed up withthe man city situation as an arsenal fan.

Is this actually true that NO money is invested or is it just less than others?

I've been told that my club (Norwich) are the only self funded club in the top 2 divisions.
i.e. we don't have money being pumped in from other sources (i.e. outside tickets, advertising, sponsorship and TV revenue).

Hat FM

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 10, 2022, 10:29:36 AMIs this actually true that NO money is invested or is it just less than others?

I've been told that my club (Norwich) are the only self funded club in the top 2 divisions.
i.e. we don't have money being pumped in from other sources (i.e. outside tickets, advertising, sponsorship and TV revenue).

as far as i know the Arsenal's spending has not come out of the Kroenke's pocket but has been further added to the debt which is now to the tune of half a billion having been looking quite healthy with the standium slowly but surely getting paid off before they came along. comparing man city spending more than £1bn to salford is quite amusing. Even comparing them to Blackburn is although things were different back then and Jack Walker's financial influence was seen as a bit of a novelty at the time.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Hat FM on January 10, 2022, 11:04:40 AMcomparing man city spending more than £1bn to salford is quite amusing. Even comparing them to Blackburn is although things were different back then and Jack Walker's financial influence was seen as a bit of a novelty at the time.

It's all relative though. Salford (or Blackburn or Newcastle under John Hall) may not spend the amount that MCFC have but in relation to the competition it's quite glaring and I haven't heard or seen anyone talking about any of those people in the terms Davies used. Glad you're amused though.

Enzo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 10, 2022, 08:58:13 AMHe absolutely wouldn't, he would have no problem if it was Arsenal getting funded and winning everything. And he certainly wouldn't be moaning if it was an English billionaire doing it.

No, I used to be a football fan so I know exactly what he's talking about. His problem isn't the money, it's where it's coming from. English football fans and lazy xenophobia go hand-in-hand.

If there is a massive subtext on multiple points I'm not getting, can you share what they are?

I'm not actually arsed defending Alan Davies on anything, but what I will say is that an Arsenal fan complaining about the present state of football financially and the reasons for that on a podcast exclusively aimed at arsenal supporters isn't exactly 'Rivers of Blood', especially when it is Autocratic regimes in the Middle East and Russian Oligarchs we're talking about.

going further into this rabbit hole will actually end up with me invoking Herbert Chapman's on field tactics and presentation policies of the early 1930s as well as murdered Indian and Thai maids, so the Taskmaster thread is probably not the place for it.

BeardFaceMan

Start a new thread, by all means, because none of that sounds like 'massive subtext', it just sounds like you're saying it was a type of football fan talking to other football fan types. Which kind of backs up the 'lazy xenophobia' point.

Enzo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 10, 2022, 09:52:17 PMStart a new thread, by all means, because none of that sounds like 'massive subtext', it just sounds like you're saying it was a type of football fan talking to other football fan types. Which kind of backs up the 'lazy xenophobia' point.

I'd rather not while sitting alone on my 39th birthday, but will keep it under review!

BeardFaceMan

In the spirit of the thread, consider it a task. Your time starts now!

KennyMonster

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 10, 2022, 10:05:50 PMIn the spirit of the thread, consider it a task. Your time starts now!

In the spirit of Claudia Winkleman carrying out a task we are going to fail spectacularly at it and so carry on talking footy here.

amateur

Alex Horne likes football, which I always find quite surprising.

I really liked the festive special! Thought Claudia was great, good mix of silliness and outrage.

Peacock as the do-it-get-it-done candidate, but with some prowess, still messing things up, was a really lovely combo.

SteveDave

Starlit

Having been getting less entertained by Taskmaster in recent years, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this special.
The task with the pole was a classic Taskmaster set up - superficially simple, but with plenty of scope for penalty vs gain calculation and leftfield interpretation of the rules pretty much all leading to slapstick hilarity.

mjwilson

Do we know when Champion of Champions is on?

olliebean

Quote from: mjwilson on January 12, 2022, 08:35:03 PMDo we know when Champion of Champions is on?

Some time after series 15, presumably...